Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

After a dirty challenge with real intent to mame someone, there will always be a bit of a melee, and as long as nothing too treacherous happens then in that melee then to me it's part of the game. The main aggressor has to stood up to. But yes I agree that if the melee decends into similar levels of violence as the first challange then those involved should be dealt with as well. I also thought Cathair was lucky not to be carded for his involvement.

Tried to go looking for that video online but no joy.............. but I found this clinker from 1984.

http://www.youtube.com/user/feisnangleann#play/uploads/0/1E1G1bQXnQg

Check out 2:37 onwards.  :)

For 10 points name the Dall number 5 and the Dunloy number 12
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Two Hands FFS

Mad...they would be right & friendly too. I dont think video evidence would have got him off that though.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: theskull1 on August 10, 2009, 04:44:02 PM
After a dirty challenge with real intent to mame someone, there will always be a bit of a melee, and as long as nothing too treacherous happens then in that melee then to me it's part of the game. The main aggressor has to stood up to. But yes I agree that if the melee decends into similar levels of violence as the first challange then those involved should be dealt with as well. I also thought Cathair was lucky not to be carded for his involvement.

Tried to go looking for that video online but no joy.............. but I found this clinker from 1984.

http://www.youtube.com/user/feisnangleann#play/uploads/0/1E1G1bQXnQg

Check out 2:37 onwards.  :)

For 10 points name the Dall number 5 and the Dunloy number 12

Brilliant video!!

anailís

I have to agree with you two hands! Great video spot, skull. Good way to while away a few hours at work.

theskull1

Obviously a thin line between love and hate  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Queenie

Anailis you seem to well informed for a Shamrocks man!!! I would be careful though, i think the Hounds are now on your scent.. making those statements, must check back to see if you have used the word allegedly, hope you have! Joe Brolley would love to get his pearly whites into a good liable case.

MR took great heart from last night, thought the boys with their limited prep did themselves proud, lets hope next year will turn the tide. Don,t want a slanging match MR, just want city hurling back on its feet. Anailis sounds as though he,s up for it in more than one sense.
Are you a missionary or a mercenary?  Remember, tallk is cheap!

anailís

Well informed for a Shamrocks man, Queenie? Are you insinuating that Shamrocks men aren't normally well informed!! Or are you assuming that to be so well informed means i must be a bodie?  ;)
Well come to think of it you might have a point there! Anyway next round will soon roll around again, and i wonder what we'll be talking about this time next Monday!
Don't see Ballycastle being strong enough to shock Dunloy, but some might look be looking for an upset with Rossa v Loughgiel.
They've taken a few scalps already, beating Loughgiel comfortably at the start of the year in the Ulster League, and then Dunloy recently, also in the Ulster League.
They have the pedigree, winning a championship ( and incidentally beating Loughgiel in the process) from a lower division.
They'll give Loughgiel their fair share of it, could be an interesting game, if not one for the purists.
But then again where are the games for the purists in Antrim these days....
Certainly not up to the standard of the feis in 1984.
;D

milltown row

Queenie they had zero prep. i was at all the training sessions. they put in a better performance than the North Antrim lads who'd 2/3 games played and some training sessions with 20 plus players!!!

6 positions last night would have made a difference. Micko for me needed to be on the edge of the square, but with lack of talent in others areas he was needed to sit in front of the half backs and sweep. the defence was superb with maybe a lack of long clearances the main problem.

up front we lacked the cutting edge. the goal getters that Cushendall had we didn't. like i said Micko and Karl in full forward line could have done damage.

worked out we had CJ, Karl, two McGourts, Sean O'Hara, Mackers and young Boogaloo playing last night. thats 7 players who are playing their club championships this weekend!!! but all have reported to be well. and not carrying any injuries of note.

are the senior championships this weekend also?

milltown row

he turned up for the team at the training sessions and was given 7 minutes near the end last night. 

should one of the Belfast teams win the interm. championship then they will not be able to compete next year

SaffronArmy

Anyone bold enough to come out with their predictions yet. I'll go for Cushendall +12, Rossa +1/2, Dunloy 6+, Glenariffe 7+. Is Kevin McGourty hurling for St Gall's at the weekend?

viking48

can anyone confirm that the cushendall and Loughgiel matches will be a double header in casement?

cushendall - 16+

ballycastle dunloy - draw

Loughgiel- +2

glenarriffe - +5

However a little birde told me that the county are looking to get championship games called off this weekend to allow the county under 21s the seven day rule before they play kilkenny in the all ireland semi  :-\ anyone hear anything?

SaffronArmy

Gort Na Mona  Ruairi Og  Casement Park 15/08/2009 17:30   
Rossa  Loughgiel  Casement Park 15/08/2009 19:00
Thats from County website, not many spaces available in the calender if their put off this weekend.

NAG1

Viking48 - I would think it very unlikely that the clubs would allow their games to be postponed under any circumstances.

Back to the suspension issues, I think anyone trying to defend someone striking with the hurl and getting the ban halved should take up a different sport. It was clear as day that it was a cowardly action against someone with their back turned and was not the sort of niggling that goes on in Munster. I dont think breaking a hurl over someones back is the action of someone who anyone should be defending esp given this persons track record when it comes to this sort of thing.

As for the other player getting off on a technicality he also plays on the edge and most of the time over it so its only a matter of time before he is back before the committee.

I would say that it is very unlikely that the story put up ealier would be correct when you look through the rules and regulations governing these meetings.

Signum Fidei

Posted by: hardstation 
Insert Quote
How'd Bap play? Would Stevie not be worth a shout too?
No Andy McClean?

If you are on about Stevie O'Hara bap's bro he plays for St Teresas and he ain't the best.
Andy McClean hasn't played hurling for St Galls since the last championship game against the shamrocks, come to think of it he has probably only played about 6 or so games for us over the past 2/3 years mostly championship.

anailís

Quote from: NAG1 on August 11, 2009, 08:39:22 AM
Viking48 - I would think it very unlikely that the clubs would allow their games to be postponed under any circumstances.

Back to the suspension issues, I think anyone trying to defend someone striking with the hurl and getting the ban halved should take up a different sport. It was clear as day that it was a cowardly action against someone with their back turned and was not the sort of niggling that goes on in Munster. I dont think breaking a hurl over someones back is the action of someone who anyone should be defending esp given this persons track record when it comes to this sort of thing.

As for the other player getting off on a technicality he also plays on the edge and most of the time over it so its only a matter of time before he is back before the committee.

I would say that it is very unlikely that the story put up ealier would be correct when you look through the rules and regulations governing these meetings.

I'm inclined to agree with you NAG, striking someone with their back turned is a cowardly action, which is why i view what the Dunloy number 5 did as extremely cowardly. This business of striking with the heel when people's back is turned seems to be the new thing in North Antrim these days. Perhaps the players involved in it think that it will escape the referee's notice, having less visual impact than a full swing of the stick. Either way, if you get a chance take a look at the incident in either the Feis Committee video, or the Glenarm club video, and you will see what i mean.

Based on what youre saying NAG, the County Hearings Committe ruled wrong on both occasions then. Why do you think this happened?