Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Yeah they have a great squad at the moment which they havent had before so they should be able to sustain a back to back challenge.

Just a matter of hunger.

milltown row

the Belfast select is playing Cushendall at 6.00 now. was originally at 7.30pm.

will the SW team play their match?

should be some chip eaters in Loughgiel on sunday night

north aontroim gael

Anyone know the result of the Ballycastle game?

Two Hands FFS

Senior Hurling Championship
Team 1   Score   Score   Team 2   Venue   Comment   
N. Antrim    0-8   3-15   Ballycastle    Cushendall

Fairhead

First 20 mins of the match tonite was nip and tuck but once Ballycastle got the first goal and went in 6 points up at the break i dont think there was any danger of an upset. North Antrim had a good number of wides in the 1st half which didnt help but thought they were a bit toothless up front. There was no disgrace in their performance and i hope they stick with the concept in years to come as it can only benefit the players in the amalgamated teams and the more competition in the championship the better.

Now the real test comes for Ballycastle against Dunloy. They just had to get over tonite and hopefully the confidence levels are higher after it and they dont let Dunloy race in to an early lead like last year. Could be a year or two too soon for them though but heres hoping.

milltown row

any score on the Johnnies game?

Minder

Glenariffe v S Antrim match postponed
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

Loughgiel  0-16 0-8 St. Johns  Cushendall

Minder

Winker got a straight red in first half

Very out of character
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

anailís

St Johns had two men sent off and five players booked. Garret Duffy's refereeing led to most of the problems for both sides.

milltown row

Just back from the match. competitive enough early on. the the dall scored goals at times when the Belfast team were on top. Cushendall didn't score for first ten minutes of second half but Jims team could get the scores.

the Lamhs lads all played well and and Killer and McGourty hurled well with Stewarty. Cushendall played below par.

if the Belfast team could fill some positions on that team with strength and skill then it would have been tighter. some of the belfast lads didn't have the strength in the tackle

maxpower

All the games went as expected, and the two strongest divisional teams out at the first stage.  But with a bit more training and a few years competing they should be a alot more competitive

Any reports on the games, who got the line for the johnnies, what did winker do,
What happens next????

anailís

Aye Max, you're right, hopefully the divisional teams will be able to build on this in the incoming years. The South Antrim select definitely have potential but were let down by a lack of technical skill, ie clean striking the ball. They certainly had as much of the ball as Cushendall at times, but were unable to press their advantage at times with many dropped short shots on goal and wides. Cushendall were rarely troubled but might have been if they hadn't found the net at crucial times after some poor defending. Big Gangles McKenna in nets' poc outs were drastically short and erratic, this caused the select boys a lot of problems from the off, although their half back line did fairly well. Kieran McGourty was my pick of the South Antrim men, with a great performance only slightly marred by his lack of length/clean striking on his clearances. One other very noticeable thing was the lack of intensity in the challenge from most of the county boys involved on the select team. I can think of one occasion in the second half where neal mcmanus was kind of going off the station over a sideline ball, tramping and pushing killer or one of the half backs. If it had been against a north antrim club team, mcmanus would have got a slap for what he was doing, whereas Kieran McGourty went over and told Neal to calm down. You wouldnt get that in every game, so i guess it shows how well these boys get on when away with the county, a lot of mutual respect there.

Barry McFall got a straight red Max, for hitting Odhran McFadden with the heel of the stick near the end of the 2nd half. It was an identical challenge to Winker's, straight in front of the referee, retaliating for something minor, a push/or something said. The Johnnies keeper (not sure of his name) got the line for two yellows, both appeared to be for dissent, as Garret Duffy consulted the umpires on both occasions, nothing had occurred that i could see, and the play wasnt even in that area for the second one. He must have been mouthing off.
Winker had started well, caught a lovely ball and stuck it over the bar. He had started in corner forward but hadnt seen any ball, so was moved out to right half and immediately had an impact on the game. He caught a second ball and was fouled. Then he caught a third ball, soloed through the Johnnies defence where Paddy Nugent met him with a good shoulder, upending him. Johnnies No. 5 was chasing him and he fell on top of Winker. Winker got up and Johnnies No. 9 came running in full pelt to try to do him, and Winker sidestepped him, Garret Duffy then did him for holding on to the ball too long. Paddy Nugent then came up behind him and sort of pushed him, and/or maybe said something to him, Winker turned around and drove him with the heel of the stick in front of the ref. Ref no option, straight red. Made it very hard for the Loughgiel team after that to settle.

On another note, anyone hear a prominent North Antrim referee might be looking at a 48 week suspension for perjuring himself in a recent Hearing at Casement. I wonder did headquarters know what sort of boy they had representing them during the minor match in Croke yesterday....

north aontroim gael

Quote from: anailís on August 10, 2009, 12:17:53 PM
Aye Max, you're right, hopefully the divisional teams will be able to build on this in the incoming years. The South Antrim select definitely have potential but were let down by a lack of technical skill, ie clean striking the ball. They certainly had as much of the ball as Cushendall at times, but were unable to press their advantage at times with many dropped short shots on goal and wides. Cushendall were rarely troubled but might have been if they hadn't found the net at crucial times after some poor defending. Big Gangles McKenna in nets' poc outs were drastically short and erratic, this caused the select boys a lot of problems from the off, although their half back line did fairly well. Kieran McGourty was my pick of the South Antrim men, with a great performance only slightly marred by his lack of length/clean striking on his clearances. One other very noticeable thing was the lack of intensity in the challenge from most of the county boys involved on the select team. I can think of one occasion in the second half where neal mcmanus was kind of going off the station over a sideline ball, tramping and pushing killer or one of the half backs. If it had been against a north antrim club team, mcmanus would have got a slap for what he was doing, whereas Kieran McGourty went over and told Neal to calm down. You wouldnt get that in every game, so i guess it shows how well these boys get on when away with the county, a lot of mutual respect there.

Barry McFall got a straight red Max, for hitting Odhran McFadden with the heel of the stick near the end of the 2nd half. It was an identical challenge to Winker's, straight in front of the referee, retaliating for something minor, a push/or something said. The Johnnies keeper (not sure of his name) got the line for two yellows, both appeared to be for dissent, as Garret Duffy consulted the umpires on both occasions, nothing had occurred that i could see, and the play wasnt even in that area for the second one. He must have been mouthing off.
Winker had started well, caught a lovely ball and stuck it over the bar. He had started in corner forward but hadnt seen any ball, so was moved out to right half and immediately had an impact on the game. He caught a second ball and was fouled. Then he caught a third ball, soloed through the Johnnies defence where Paddy Nugent met him with a good shoulder, upending him. Johnnies No. 5 was chasing him and he fell on top of Winker. Winker got up and Johnnies No. 9 came running in full pelt to try to do him, and Winker sidestepped him, Garret Duffy then did him for holding on to the ball too long. Paddy Nugent then came up behind him and sort of pushed him, and/or maybe said something to him, Winker turned around and drove him with the heel of the stick in front of the ref. Ref no option, straight red. Made it very hard for the Loughgiel team after that to settle.

On another note, anyone hear a prominent North Antrim referee might be looking at a 48 week suspension for perjuring himself in a recent Hearing at Casement. I wonder did headquarters know what sort of boy they had representing them during the minor match in Croke yesterday....

Very accurate account of both games and major incidents.  Loughgiel looked rusty and will get a tough game against Rossa who won't fear anything they seen yesterday.  South Antrim definately look like a team with potential.  The Cushendall game seemed to lack any atmosphere at all for a championship game.

Anyone know when / where the next games are?

With regards the refereeing incident?  Not heard of this care to shed more light?

anailís

I'd agree with you about Rossa not being too worried about Loughgiel, was talking to Rossa corner back at the game and he told me they are going well, good numbers at training, got Paul Close back and hope to have Jim Connolly there or there abouts (achilles), either in full forward, or wing half. I think the games are on this weekend, someone thought possibly Casement and a North Antrim venue, although not too sure.

With regards to the referee incident, i had heard from different people from two different clubs yesterday that North Antrim's test case which they brought against Loughgiel's Paul Gillan following the Feis Final was thrown out after a Hearing meeting in Casement on Friday night. There were various reasons why the case was dropped, the main reason i hear was that a prominent referee and member of N Antrim CCC who brought the case, told the Hearing committee that he had contacted the referee for clarification, based on the use of video evidence. The referee was subsequently phoned during the Hearing to check the veracity of this statement, and it turned out to be false, the referee had never been contacted ( which was supposed to have happened as per the official guide). The case got thrown out and then the very next day, the match referee was then contacted by the N Antrim CCC representative (high profile referee) and asked if he would change his story! The Feis referee refused, saying he wouldnt be changing his story for anybody as it was the truth. It would appear that according to the official guide, if someone deliberatley misleads (lies to) a Hearings Committe, it is an automatic 48 week ban with no right to appeal....
That's how the Derry footballer was suspended recently for the jawbreaking incident, not for breaking the jaw, but for getting caught out on a lie. How embarrassing will it be for North Antrim Board, and for refereeing in general if one of their "up and coming" leading lights is about to be banned for a year, after being economical with the truth to put it mildly and then trying to pressurise another referee into changing his story so he himself can avoid justifiable punishment....