Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

7 lads turned up last night for Jim Nelson, not sure if the timing was right, with notification and what not but they played a 9 a side game with St Johns. cant see it getting off the ground.

two lads from the Johnnies filled in to make it 9 a side.

theskull1

I think the idea is a good one in principal. Sure didn't I recommend it myself (great to see the CB taking positive contributions from the board  :) )

Problem is it was thrown into the mix with what seemed to have been next to no consultation to see how it could/would work in practice and work with the clubs to ensure that such an endevour was not to their detriment. Only when the buy in from the clubs/players was got then should it have it considered. The whole notion of people thinking that a delegates vote (who knows possibly under pressure from others) in the winter without consulting with his club would make this happen without any hassle is depressingly deluded. Hearts and minds of the people affected (the intermediatte/junior club players) once again forgotten about.

But I'm sure once again it'll be the clubs fault as it always is.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

And it will be our fault on here for complaining that it didnt work!  ;)

milltown row

i was for the idea in a way. problem is though, these players will be concentrating on their own club championships, should they get an injury or be sent off in a game v Cushendall then what benefit would it be to the clubs/players?

potential players could have been, Karl stewart, the two Herrons, two mcGourty's young McConville from lamhs, Christy Tumulty (Lamhs) Johnny Flynn, O'Grady Andy McLean, Sean Burke, Sean O Hara (all Galls men) young Philly Maguire (St Teresa's) and a few St Paul's in the Gamble's Sarsfields have young McKearnan also

decent team but very unworkable.

NAG1

If the problems had of been discussed and looked at schedule wise etc then this would have been a truly competitive team and would have made for an interesting tie. However yet another half decent idea just squandered because of the lack of organisation and committment.

JamesH

The NA select were out in Cushendun last night and had a turn out of 27 down a couple from last week. They are trying to get some matches, they seem keen although i don't know if they Will be fit for the town. Some good hurlers there no real big names.

slow corner back

27 jameH are u sure that is a big step up from the 13 who were at the first session. This should have started in january february to pull a panel together. If they had played one challenge game a month from march on they might have a chance against Ballycastle. Playing one or two games between now and August is not enough to form a team.

milltown row

any word on the team for Sunday lads? i hear there are some missing due to holidays.  can the Down team that has hit a bit of form lately  beat us at Casement or is the difference still too much.

would be strange to see Humpy Tosh and Jingo cheering on the line this Sunday should they get a result

NAG1

Down have improved but dont think they will be enough yet to trouble Antrim, we are in the awful position of being too good for that level and just not good enough for the level above.
The laois draw really screws the club hurling for another couple of weeks in all fairness.  >:(

NAG1

From what I hear so were a good few of the players  :o

JamesH

scb
They have had about 5 sessions and have a match at weekend. their is no point gettin together in Jan/Feb as they weren't entered into Championship until April. ( but lession for next year)The closed hurling season has been good for players and clubs. I was talking to a Biddies hurler and he seems to be enjoying it Something different i suppose. I hope the Galls lads play against us as it might buck us up, plus give a better match

Fairhead

They have to stick with the divisional teams in the senior championship for the long term. No point in doing it this year and next and jacking it in then if theres a few bad results. If they can work on the organisational side of it and get the intermediate and junior clubs to buy in to it over next 2/3 yearsi think it can have a positive effect long term on hurling in the county.

If Antrim get past Laois which they could, the following round of the qualifiers is down for the 18th July, the weekend of the 1st round games in the championship. Something will have to give and i think we know what that will be.

Anybody at the u16 game between L'geil and Dunloy on Mon nite? According to NA website 5 sent off after "one incident". It must have been a hell of an incident!

the colonel

Minor team for sunday

1.  Mark Donaghy  Ruairi Og
2. Ronan Mc Closkey Shamrocks
3. Matthew Donnelly  McQuillans
4. Christopher Mc Guinness Rossa
5. Conal Morgan St Johns
6. Conor Mc Clelland Gort Na Mona (cpt)
7. James McLister McQuillans
8. Conor Laverty St Brendans
9. Stephen Smyth St Brendans
10. Stephen Beattie Rossa
11. MIchael Devlin St Brendans
12. Donal Mc Kinley Shamrocks
13. Michael Lismore Latharna Og
14. Conor Mc Cann Creggan
15.Stephen Mc Afee McQuillans
16. James O Mullan Rasharkin
17. Ciaran Clarke McQuillans
18. Caoimhin Duffin Tir na og
19. Daniel Mc Peake Shamrocks
20. Ryan O Neill Sarsfields
21. O Quinn Cuchullains
22. Jude Savage St Johns
23. Stephen Shannon Rossa
24. Stephen Tierney St Johns
25. Hugh Connor St Galls
26. Gerard Carberry St Johns
27. Seamus Mc Naughton Ruairi Og
28. James mc Couaig Glenshesk
29. Seamus Dobbin Shamrocks
the difference between success and failure is energy

NAG1

Is anyone planning any friendlies or challenge games with the lack of games in the past few weeks? One of the best spells of weather we have had in a while and all the clubs are sitting kicking their heels. Sure we will wait to it is pissing in october and finish our games off then.

theskull1

Sad as I am that Dunloy don't have a few more representing, thats a great spread of clubs (I count 14 - to me a great sign) on the panel.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera