Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

What really got on my goat was the switch of CJ to the 3/4 line in the second half. What? to go out and win dirty ball?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Skull best not to think of that one or you will end up rocking back and forth in a padded cell

Sure going by the papers and tv he was ready for the big stage and it wouldnt phase him playing in croke.

nrico2006

QuoteCan someone post up the article that Loughnane did in the Irish Star on saturday, I didnt see it but i think he was very tough on the squad.

Dunno if the Irish Star articles are online.  He doesn't like Sambo either from what I read in that article!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NAG1

Yeah thats why I was looking for it, wonder what happened there!

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on June 05, 2009, 03:20:45 PM
Quote from: milltown row on June 05, 2009, 03:03:43 PM
another Belfast man, christ its true we do know more that the north antrim hurlers ;)

In the interview room definately  :)

Some of these interview lads are easily pleased with a bit of powerpoint allegedly  ;)

Tony Baloney

Sambo gave this very thread (I assume it is this one!) a mention in the Sunday Times yesterday, when he mentioned that there is a website where arseholes go on every day and tell him and Woody what they are doing wrong!

milltown row

ok he had a crap game, but lads he didn't pick himself, the managers picked him. they also picked the other 14 players who didn't perform in the second half.

its oh so easy being the experts. those lads turned up for that match prepared but were beaten by a better team

nrico2006

QuoteSambo gave this very thread (I assume it is this one!) a mention in the Sunday Times yesterday, when he mentioned that there is a website where arseholes go on every day and tell him and Woody what they are doing wrong!

Sunday Times, what next for you Tony?  Nuts and Zoo during the week to Sunday Times, you really are a strange chap!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

milltown row

Quote from: groundlie on June 08, 2009, 01:45:18 PM
Quote from: milltown row on June 08, 2009, 01:34:00 PM
ok he had a crap game, but lads he didn't pick himself, the managers picked him. they also picked the other 14 players who didn't perform in the second half.

its oh so easy being the experts. those lads turned up for that match prepared but were beaten by a better team

My point is he should never have been there in the first place as he is not and possibly never will be up to that standard. His man was throwing him about like a rag doll.
Sambo got what was coming yesterday for picking him. McGoat was disciplined by the county football as they where looking to set a no nonsense policy, then S&W award him with a call up to the hurling? Smooth guys. Could name 15 better forwards than him.

he was recently asked back

NAG1

MR is right he didnt pick himself.

The managers should hold their hands up on that one, the lads didnt perform in all honesty but the fact is that we should be competing better than we did on sunday and I mean in a physical sense we should be giving everything and flying into tackles which we werent.

Gold

Quote from: groundlie on June 08, 2009, 01:45:18 PM

My point is he should never have been there in the first place as he is not and possibly never will be up to that standard. His man was throwing him about like a rag doll.
Sambo got what was coming yesterday for picking him. McGoat was disciplined by the county football as they where looking to set a no nonsense policy, then S&W award him with a call up to the hurling? Smooth guys. Could name 15 better forwards than him.

he's not up to any inter -county standard at present--he's too light and obviously needs to hit the weights hard-what has he been doing since minor?? It's a disgrace that he hasnt bulked up. In hurlin and football he hides in behind lookin for a Primary school ball over the top so that he's in on goal with no man to beat. In fairness he has to do this as he has no strength and cant get out in front of a pyshical man. He did look like a boy lost yesterday and did what Niall McKeever did in the Div 4 football final when he fell over the end line in the first half unchallenged after twice failing to pick the ball up--he must have skill in trainin(probably under no pace or psysical pressure) otherwise he wouldnt have been kept on for 70 minutes--it's true that other panelists must have felt sick to their very core that they didnt get out onto that grass when a fella who just turned up and didnt try a leg stayed on for the whole match--but as Milltown said--he didnt pick himself--i reckon the county are scared of him in  a way and dont want to lose him so pander to him incase he throws a strop and leaves like Winker.

As for the game--we should have been well ahead at half time --Karl Stewart tried the hardest of the forwards but struggled from play and frees. The paper said that McManus was unlucky but he really should have buried that21 yard free and the penalty --he was slow releasing shots also. Sean Delargy was very poor--striking was poor and a blind man could see he should have been taken off before Micko. SD doesnt look like much of a forward. Cormac D was slow and one time in particular he jogged to a ball he should have been first to in the first half and a Dub subsequently beat him to the ball. Big Richmond in the middle has great hands and skillfully found men with the hand to open the play up but he tired as the game wore on. McKeegan tried hard in spurts. Corner backs battled well and Graffin did catch a few well above his head but Dotsie is some player. Our strikin is still poor. It has been for as long as i can remember. I hate Antrim games that are over long before the finish.

We need teams with heart and guts pulling together. How can that happen when players are only coming onto a panel a few weeks before championship and taking people's spots--no matter if the panel agrees to it--there will always be some people on the panel who've been there all year and are ragin about it.

Keeper should have stayed on his feet for 1st goal but handling was good--short poc outs were ok at keepin possession but on some occasions he passed stupidly, a couple of times he played suicide passes to C Donnelly. We just stopped in 2nd half and couldnt win a ball around the middle
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

theskull1

Don't disagree with any of that milltown. You are right ...he didn't pick himself. I'd like to know why he was and if anybody can remember ever seeing him playing a good game. I have never heard of him talked about and have only seen him play senior once a couple of years ago in the championship and he was better yesterday. So on my view it was unfair for him to be out there. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm just not sure what  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

slow corner back

Quote from: groundlie on June 08, 2009, 12:58:22 PM
What must the fringe players on this squad feel like? The players that have slogged their guts out over the dark nights with all this 'physical training' they have been doing (not in evidence yesterday). Because to see that prima dona (CJ) walk onto croke park and play like that, well, that's one hell of a kick in the teeth for anybody.

Sound hurling managerial logic suggests that giving someone with no hurling championship or league experience a game in Croke Park, possibly Antrims biggest game in many a year, very much a gamble, but not only just a gamble, more an act of hurling suicide.

Antrim under the stewardship of Sambo & Woody, however, have rarely operated on the basis of sound hurling logic and parachuting in CJ McGoat was just desperate measure that Sambo was hoping would turn into a masterstroke.

I think the Cork game will be the final nail in Sambo & Woody's coffin, trust me, it is a good thing.

Did we get Cork in the draw? I did not know who we got

milltown row

yes Cork  :-[

as much as I'd like to head down to watch that match, I'll be busy at the hairdressers (anyone who knows me will know that wont take long :D)

slow corner back

When and where is it on, not that it makes much difference.