Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

We're struggling badly with injuries in particular with our forwards so the Crans just might get a win over us tonight but if that rain keeps up I can see our pitch being unplayable.

What's the other games on sunday?

maxpower

Has there been much rain down your part of the country, been a grand couple of days here. 

I have to say i was impressed with Ballycran last week, as indeed i was when we meet in the Ulster Championship a few years back, think when they get McGourty back they'll be hard to watch.  What of the young Ennis who ruptured his knee, any chance of him making a return?

Understand completely the County need there challenge matches to prepare for the Dublin game, but it does take something off the round of Antrim fixtures, it might be too much to ask lads to play a 70 minute game on Sat and then ACHL match on Sunday.  I think MR had a point with last weeks heavy session showing on some players on Sunday.

Anyone for the game on Saturday,

What happens next????

slow corner back

Quote from: Fairhead on April 30, 2009, 08:03:54 PM
Quote from: slow corner back on April 29, 2009, 10:28:14 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on April 29, 2009, 12:18:22 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 29, 2009, 08:47:57 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 29, 2009, 08:42:12 AM
Quick question:

In antrim if you win the Intermediate champonship can you play in it the year after or do you have to go up a grade to senior?

You can play in it the year after as Gort Na Mona have won it for the last 11 years.

On that point.

Are there any intermediate clubs out there who have well defined aspiration/plans to become a senior club and progress from there? Or has the need for any sort of silverware damped the enthusiasim to raise standards to the higher level?  Not convinced there are any out there that have any such plan at the minute. Am I wrong?

Wel whoever they are they sure aint Armoy ??? On a more serious note Gort Na Mona did manage to get to a minor final last year which suggests they are putting in a decent effort and in fairness to them Cushendun have been in a senior championship final this decade something which Ballycastle or St Johns have not managed. I know Cushendun have gone backwards since then but at least they were there on the back of the St Pats minor team from a few years ago. At a lower level Cloughmills and Rasharkin are both making headway transforming themselves from Junior to intermediate clubs and Clooney Gaels have already achieved this. Due to the high scoring/ high skill level in hurling I believe it is harder to move up the grades than in football. 15 super fit super commited club footballers could win a lot of matches ( up to a certain level), in hurling I believe it takes years of coaching from U-8 right up through.

I am surprised at you scb, you usually seem to be spot on when it comes to your history of matches in Antrim but i think you will find that Ballycastle did play in the county final in this decade and it was after Cushendun made it to the final in 2000. 2001 was the year in case your wondering and Dunloy came from 6 back at half time to win by 3 or 4.

Nice touch by Justin McCarthy again bringing his team up to Antrim in preparation for the championship.

Fair cop did not do my research goes to the back of the class

Baile an tuaigh

Yea Justin had good time for Antrim hurling and when was asked to manage them by old Nial Patterson he warmed to him so much that he couldn't refuse. He made many friends and keeps the connection.

milltown row

:o

milltown row

:-X

Spirit of 94

Quote from: milltown row on May 01, 2009, 11:37:16 PM
we played Rossa a few years ago on our pitch and we were some points up near the end. the manager went over to get the ball and Aidan for some reason wanted to fight with him. I'm standing there thinking how bizare that the principle of a local school could come out with such language and be so disrespectful. but sure we won the match and turned round to shake hands and he was gone in his car and up the lane.

no one hate losing worse than me but he really took the biscut

Did you go to his skool?

milltown row

no, i didn't go to school

thats why i'm not wise ;)

chill hardstation, never said anything bad just told you something about a game we played against Rossa.

milltown row

Quote from: hardstation on May 01, 2009, 11:57:25 PM
You missed 'principle'.

Principal, principal, principal, principal.

Living on the streets is killing me, I'll have to work on my English otherwise I'm doomed :o

milltown row

:'(

milltown row

Quote from: hardstation on May 02, 2009, 12:07:05 AM
You sound like those boyos that came on here and gave you a hard time. What has his job got to do with it?

Yes, he can be an slabbering wee ballix at times and gets worked up very easy but anyone who knows him, other than on the hurling field, will tell you that he's dead on.

I'd have a lot of time for him. A lot more time than any man who ever graced De La Salle Park.

i'm just agreeing with ya, calm done.

eddie donnelly was the best player in that photo. and having met and trained with the guy many years ago thats my assessment of him

as for you having a lot of time for him, well grand we all have the same opinion of "greats" of our club. no fun with ya tonight ???

ya couldn't catch me silly

seth

Quote from: milltown row on May 02, 2009, 12:32:19 AM
Quote from: hardstation on May 02, 2009, 12:07:05 AM
You sound like those boyos that came on here and gave you a hard time. What has his job got to do with it?

Yes, he can be an slabbering wee ballix at times and gets worked up very easy but anyone who knows him, other than on the hurling field, will tell you that he's dead on.

I'd have a lot of time for him. A lot more time than any man who ever graced De La Salle Park.

i'm just agreeing with ya, calm done.

eddie donnelly was the best player in that photo. and having met and trained with the guy many years ago thats my assessment of him

as for you having a lot of time for him, well grand we all have the same opinion of "greats" of our club. no fun with ya tonight ???

ya couldn't catch me silly

You may have met the man MR, but from what i hear you would have never played against him or some of the others in that photo, you where never at that level of skill or ability.

Minder

What way did it work in those days Seth, was there a skills competition before each game to gauge if a player has the "ability" to play against the opposition? Another reason i dont think Milltown would have played any of those fellas is they would be around the 60 mark. Our chairman Niall Wheeler,who was a replacement All Star, has lost a bit of hair from that photo but other than that he hasnt changed much.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

Seth hi you being new to the board ;)

Eddie lived in Belfast while he was bank manager of the Northern, him and his son (Joe i think his name was) trained with us, Eddie must have been around 40 as you say he is about 60 now. so while i never seen him or played against him in competition (i did play against the others though) when he was in his prime, i did get a chance to see his skills every Tues night. even at forty he had some pace and strength and his stick work was top drawer.

i never mentioned my skill but i did win a skills competition when i was 12. well it was against my little brother he was 4 at the time, i still cherish that medal me da gave me afterwards

the colonel

can anyone name the team from 1970
the difference between success and failure is energy