Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG

Max

I would agree with your reasoning for a Cushendall victory I think they have enough players who have been through the winter training programme which doesnt suit all teams to progress on the right side of the scoreline.

IMO they would also have enough devilment to rile up Mullane and stop him from concentrating on hurling, which is what DLS need him to do to lead the line.

Minder

I think people are over egging the "riling" of Mullane, he isnt a Winker Watson type. His attitude seems to have improved the last couple of years, and he was the only Waterford player to come out of the All Ireland Final with credit, and he has had far better backs than the Cushendall backs trying to knock him off his game. If they can stifle him they will have a great chance but i still am not convinced there are enough scores from Cushendall at the other end of the pitch. They have had problems putting up the scores their play has merited all year and i dont think you can just turn it on like a tap.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

NAG

Minder I wasnt over egging it, but in all fairness he is prone to the odd mad moment not like our liam but mad nonetheless.

Dont forget that this game is going to be 10mins shorter than the county games so even if he goes missing for part of that, it will be more significant that a inter county game.

To be honest I dont see him rising to any bait but will be a good contest regardless who is on him.

Two Hands FFS

I don't think Cushendall backs will be out to target Mullane...of course they'll want to mark him tight but if they try to rough him up it could be a mistake as their discipline would go & in a low scoring game any scores from frees will be vital. Even looking back at the last few Cushendall v Loughgiel County finals Cushendall never resorted to hitting Watson...should be much too smart for that. Hopefully. I'd imagine they'd try to cut out the space Mullane enjoys. Parnell Park is a far smaller pitch than Thurles I'd have thought??

Mullane has improved his discipline alot since his red card V Cork in the Munster final 3 or 4 years ago.

TheDoc

Different topic

Railway Cup Hurling Semi Final 2009
Saturday February 21st
Throw in 2.30 pm

venue Casement Park Belfast

Ulster v Leinster

Ulster Inter Provincial Hurling Team 2009

Ryan McGarry
Antrim

Ciaran McGourty
Antrim

Neill McGarry
Antrim

Mark Craig
Derry

Ciaran Herron
Antrim

Liam Hinphey
Derry

Johnny Campbell
Antrim

Andy Savage
Down

Brendan Herron
Antrim

Kevin Hinphey (Captain)
Derry

Brendan McGourty
Down

Paul Braniff
Down

PJ O'Connell
Antrim

Karl Stewart
Antrim

Paul Shiels
Antrim

Graham Clarke
Down

Michael Herron
Antrim

Eddie Mc Closkey
Antrim

Gabriel Clarke
Down

Ruairi Convery
Derry

Ruairi McGrattan
Down

Neill McAuley
Antrim

Joey Scullion
Antrim

Colm Duffin
Antrim

Does anyone else think this team is laughable? Looks like a who available squad
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand

Minder

Will there be more supporters or players in Casement ?

milltown row

i'm limbering up at the minute, training session tonight and i'm raing to go ;)

seems to me that Ulster will be playing a third midfielder in Paul Shiels. better than the last time where we go 15 on 15 and "give it a lash" we'll never beat these teams but christ keep the score down, gain a bit of confidence from our performance and hopefully it will translate into a good season (for the antrim players anyway) 

from a apersonal point of view, glad to see two Galls men on the team for sat. well done to both Ciaran McGourty and Karl Stewart.

oh and is this the first Ahoghill player to represent Ulster in Hurling?

The Dark Knight

Jesus MR, the lads where right, reading some of your postings you really are FULL OF S***, god help the squad listening to a team talk from you, especially from someone who has achieved nothing in the game!!!! Can,t wait to the start of this season, you should have applied for the position of South Antrim manager going into the c/ship.

milltown row

Quote from: The Dark Knight on February 19, 2009, 06:26:24 PM
Jesus MR, the lads where right, reading some of your postings you really are FULL OF S***, god help the squad listening to a team talk from you, especially from someone who has achieved nothing in the game!!!! Can,t wait to the start of this season, you should have applied for the position of South Antrim manager going into the c/ship.

;D ;D ;D

milltown row

Quote from: NonCharlatan on October 30, 2008, 06:17:49 PM
Quote from: Stayousidethesquare on October 30, 2008, 06:07:49 PM
NC where are you?????? Getting lonely here, i think we should start our thread, How about "Real Antrim Hurlers"

Hi Sqaure

I'm game.  MAYBE WE SHOULD CALL IT, The Real Antrim Hurling Forum - for hurlers who hurled, bled, sweated and cried, and also know what they are talking about pertaining to hurling?

Wadda say?  I suppose you will have to ask fr MR's permission first.  PLEASE SIR (hand raised) can I .........!

certain traits here Mods!!!!

TheDoc

MR what training use doing tonight? Running session?

You must fancy yourselves to go all the way in the championship this year. Will you get the "footballers" out?
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand

Minder

You can spot the retards a mile away,they could do a better job of reinventing themselves each time. Its getting a bit tiresome now.

milltown row

Quote from: TheDoc on February 19, 2009, 07:52:37 PM
MR what training use doing tonight? Running session?

You must fancy yourselves to go all the way in the championship this year. Will you get the "footballers" out?

a bit of yoga, followed by some pilates. down to the club for a curry and mind session with Paul McKenna.....

fancy ourselves? sure Rasharkin and St Pauls hammered us last year and Clooney Gaels should have beaten us along with Carey Faughs. looking to stay up this year and take it from there

Fairhead

Hopefully there are no calls to ban me too cos im not as confident as some posters seem to be about Cushendalls hopes!!!

The popular assessment seems to be because De la Salle are 1st timers at this level that C'dall will have an edge over them but look at what DLS done in there last few games. They won their first ever co final and then a week later had to go to Pairc ui Chaoimh to face the Cork champs so they could have been forgiven for resting on their laurels but they came away from Cork with a win. Then in the Munster final they found themselves 7 points down and at the time i thought well thats the end for them but no they clawed there way back in. To me these guys have a lot of guts and in the club championship that counts for a lot. In terms of players they have one of the top forwards in the last 5 years in the country, Phelan has been on the W'ford panel since 92 and although Moran is relatively new to inter-county he was man of the match in last years Fitzgibbon Cup final so he has ability. Throw in an experienced former inter county keeper and some young boys in the subs with 1 or 2 All Ireland colleges medals and they look like a club going places.

C'dall kept L'giel, KL and Ballygalget to low scores and just about done enough at the other end to see them through so if their defence can restrict DLS and 1 or 2 forwards at the other end keep the score board ticking over then they are in with a shout however i fancy DLS to win by 3/4 points.

Of course it is pretty irrelevant because whoever wins in Thurles will win the final.

youngfella

up the doll, give er dixie hi !
Pull hard and early