Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

A good showing today will give the lads, young lads, a boost that they can take with them to dublin. Its a win win problem they have, If they win happy days! If lose they get beat by the mighty cats....

Pull hard and early

youngfella

can someone put updates of the score?
Pull hard and early

imtommygunn

youngfella

2-12 1-20  to the cats.

respectable lookin but havent heard any reports yet tho
Pull hard and early

ExiledGael

Presume that's a BBC report, I thought Richie Hogan hit around 1-10 but not exactly sure. He could and should have had three goals, one effort hitting the post and running along the line before the keeper got down to it. Paddy Hogan also seen his penalty saved by O'Connell after Richie was hauled down when clean through. Thought Jackie Tyrrell and Richie looked a class apart, for Antrim Shields started well but faded somewhat, he hit an excellent sideline cut over and Antrim led 5-2 early on. Kieran McGourty was the pick of an over-worked defence but nobody had an answer to Richie Hogan's sheer pace and fetching ability. Good to see a big crowd, must have been at least three thousand. Michael Herron hit a cracking goal for the biggest roar of the day and at least make it competitive but in truth Kilkenny could go up and score with relative ease whenever needed. PJ O'Connell scored Antrim's first goal, flicking on a long delivery past Herity. Dan McKillop also looked busy when he came on and hit two points, pity Eddie Brennan didn't come off the bench and Tommy Walsh didn't start for some reason after being named at midfield in the programme/page.

Two Hands FFS

milltown row

played at a slow enough pace Antrim challenged for most parts in the game, was pleased with the attitude of the players. westmeath next and they should really be beating these team well. promotion from div 2 and beating Dublin should be the Goals for the year. not the run out today

gorts were beat by 9 i think

1-7 to 3-10 i think

youngfella

what way did the two teams line out?
Pull hard and early

Two Hands FFS

Tommy Walsh's uncle died, Eddie Brennan & Martin Comeford werent there so the three of them didnt travel...which was a pity for the autograph hunters if not the Antrim defence.

Kieran McGourty & Neal McAuley were the pick of the Antrim defence, McGourty done well enough when moved to Full Back after 15 minutes or so..anyone would have struggled with Richie Hogan with the form he was in..some of his touches were superb, his timing in the air was first class. McGourty will hardly mark a better player all year.

Up front we struggled as usual...2 great goals. PJ O'Connell's flick was brilliant, he was about unlucky to be taken off as at that stage Paddy Doc & Martin Scullion were v.poor,as was Pinky.

Happy enough with the performance as at least 3 Antrim players are regulars for their club. The effort was their but it helped that Kilkenny never really ran away with it at any stage but always looked comfortable enough.

slow corner back

I think youse are being a bit harsh boys. First things first Antrim were competitive throughout and looked at a decent level of fitness. Antrim hit a lot of wides in the first half and should have been three or four clear at half time. At half time Copy must have put a rocket up someone as Ritchie Hogan was unhurlable in the second half, pure class. I was quite critical of Antrims half forward line for lack of scores but they tackled hard and won a lot of possession and anyway 2-12 is not bad scoring against a back line with Tennyson, Hogan, Delany et al. Its a lot more than Waterford managed against them in September. Antrim are far from the finished article but ( hopefully) moving in the right direction. The same level of commitment and performance in the national league and we will not be beat too often.

HS agree about the atmosphere, Antrim must have the dullest supporters in Ireland

youngfella

Whats the score with ryan mc garry, didnt he just win player of the year now hes on the bench! Are they saving him for the big games!!??

how were the young guns today?
Pull hard and early

Minder

Quote from: the colonel on January 25, 2009, 09:55:39 PM
seamus dobbin is he the one from loughgiel who is still a minor? bit strange that he is on the panel. how did dan mckillop play when he came on. can't say i think he is anywhere near the standard and wouldn't figure when the dall boys are back.
is chrissy o connell getting games for the sake of it, hardly has passed mcgarry as number 1

What is the standard required though? Is it to match up favourably with the best down south? If so we dont have anyone of that standard. S & W maybe think he can contribute in a way you dont.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

maxpower

from watching and Dan at club level he has to be one of the most improved players in Antrim in recent years, always very industrious but adding a few scores.

Seems a respectable result, and good to see McGourty hurling well, i thought he would be an effective wing forward playing deep,
What happens next????

NAG

Max, may have imrpoved but still seriously short of this standard IMO. Very undustrious hard worker but limited at the same time.

Minder

Obviously i am going to stick up for a clubmate, within reason. Dans main strengths are his ability to win the ball and his workrate. If he is able to win the ball and hand it off to our more "gifted" players we will be grand . Another thing about him is he wont go hiding if he is having a poor game & he will not stop playing after 45 minutes if Antrim are getting a tanking. It takes all sorts for a team to function successfully.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"