Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

It is a MAN's game Skull...but when you go to minor, U16 and even U14 games and see young fellas giving their markers a poke with the edge of the stick its pretty saddening to see. They've learnt it from what they see their seniors do or the players on the TV do and get away with.
You are given an inch you take a mile.
1 poke, 2 pokes BANG full hit with the stick.

If seen it should be a yellow.

Agree JC. Other matters are more important. Players often get away with throwing the ball up in a tight spot and basically swining round the player that has put them in a tight spot.
Refs often aren't too sure.
A slightly different one was last week I was watching a game where the defender was too close to either hook or block...the defender, brave and mad though it was, stepped in and blocked the shot with his body...getting a free out. Wrong.

Referees have to have played the game or have a deep understanding of it. Referee coaching should involve ex hurlers (and more specifically ex dirty hurlers) giving them the tricks of their trade. Too often referees blow for innocuous frees and the big ones are missed.

milltown row

It's always hard to call everything; I'd say that almost every tackle will have a player, manager, supporter and passer by shouting foul. If ya were to call everything then the game would be a farce.

Here are the main fouls, push in the back when going for the ball. Now what does the referee do when a player cons the referee and falls over easily?
pulling early or late, this deserves a tick or yellow, playing the opponent stick is a simple call but unseen sometimes (always get away with it on the younger players) the most annoying one has to be over carrying, now they say 4 steps or the time it takes to take 4 steps, certain players out there and we know who they are take the piss, but manage to get away with it.
I think this rule annoys defenders the most and is the main reason for shouting at referees. If the player is getting fouled the referee allows the player to take more steps as an advantage, now in the rule book there is no advantage rule. So he should blow for the foul or blow for over carrying
Referees have a different view on this and the inconsistency causes grief.

Slabbering to the referee is an automatic yellow card. Some do it right away others understand if there is no malice in it and laugh it off. A referee needs to understand how passionate hurling/winning is to both teams.

I'd say most referees will blow for a foul the second they see it, they can't see everything, haven done a few games this year it's difficult to see. So as a current player and referee I can sympathise with both.

johnneycool

Quote from: Glensman on August 07, 2008, 05:08:16 PM

Players often get away with throwing the ball up in a tight spot and basically swining round the player that has put them in a tight spot.
Refs often aren't too sure.
A slightly different one was last week I was watching a game where the defender was too close to either hook or block...the defender, brave and mad though it was, stepped in and blocked the shot with his body...getting a free out. Wrong.

IMO if you're in possession and in a ruck you are well within your rights to throw/drop the ball and pull on it, provided of course you make a genuine attempt to play the ball and not the man. It's up to the opponent to protect themselves.

youngfella

This is true enough, but have seen the ref give frees the other way tho. The ref's job is a hard unthankful job
Pull hard and early

theskull1

Quote from: Glensman on August 07, 2008, 05:08:16 PM
It is a MAN's game Skull...but when you go to minor, U16 and even U14 games and see young fellas giving their markers a poke with the edge of the stick its pretty saddening to see. They've learnt it from what they see their seniors do or the players on the TV do and get away with.
You are given an inch you take a mile.
1 poke, 2 pokes BANG full hit with the stick.

You might do that Glens but most boys who are interested in hurling give an inch and take an inch and get on with it. The Ding Gillans of this world however seem to spend the whole game looking for opertunities to mame.
The reality of it is that it is a sport which requires a bit of nerve. The paranoid yellow hoors as well as poor hurlers trying to drag good hurler down to his level are main culprits.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

youngfella

Any game this weekend? or is it just a watching weekend? Any prediction on the big games?
Pull hard and early

glens73

Does anyone know yet exactly what weekend the SHC semi-finals will be played?

davincicode

M R i am surprised at you, there is a rule governing advantage, i think you need to read a bit more. It was always quoted to me back in Dublin when playing?

aontroim

Cushendall v Rossa is on next weekend in Loughgiel (at the minute until someone complains both semis are not on the same weekend) there's a host of posts about this on the county guestbook.  Looks like the semis (for all hurling cships) were fixed for mid-Sept but as the SHC only has 3 rounds, next weekend was to be the date for the next round of matches (now the semi's) the quarter-finals of the JHC / IHC are also on next weekend.

Last Man

On a lighter note I see Clute is on "The road to Croker" Master Marksman Challenge against Pat Fox next week.

youngfella

echo   echo    echo    echo      echo        echo   
Pull hard and early

NAG

so is the cushendall rossa game going ahead at the weekend then?

NAG

do u think it will make any difference if they are up for it or not colonel?

slow corner back

I agree with the colonel Rossa may cause a shock. If St Johns were in the semi no one would write them off so why write off Rossa. And before you say because they are in Div 2 remember the last time they won the championship they were in Div 1B which was div 2 in all but name.

NAG

Well the first semi this weekend IMO I cant see Rossa making it to half time but I hope that Im wrong and that there is at least a game to watch.

There isnt much conversation about the other semi, is it too early to predict it or is it too close to call?