Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: slow corner back on July 07, 2008, 04:54:40 PM
In fairness to cushendun they would have normally been an intermediate side they punched well above there weight for a number of years, as it must be said glenariffe are doing now in all fairness. When you see some of the turn outs for st brendans which is a three team accumulation its fair to say that it will be quite a while before cushendun are back in senior hurling.

In fairness SCB we have been an established Div 1 team since 2002, though we will face a battle with the town to stay up this year, this coincided with some of our strong minors making the step up to senior level, players like Conor Mc Alister, Seamus Doherty, Paul & Randall Mc Donnell. We have had reasonably strong under age teams for a fair years now. Our under age coaches such as Malachy Leech, Gerry Cosgrove and Niall O Connor are now involved with Antrim development squads and our club owes them a lot for the work they have put in for the last 15 years. Before they became involved under age training in Glenariffe consisted of the lads being split into two teams and told to play a match for an hour with no focus on basic skills or fundamentals. Cushenduns success throughout the 90's was also down to some great St Pats minor teams in the late 80's, but they have had nobody coming through for years now and are relying on fellas coming out of retirement.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

NAG

The key then Minder is to keep this work up and get more people involved and bring more and more good young players through your system.

Although I would have to say having seen you play a couple of times this year, maybe someone could have a word with your senior team as well
because there is more potential in that team than they are showing for a variety of reasons.

I agree though the club structure and promoting it is the best way forward and really making a drive to make this competitive and then other things can spring from there.

youngfella

Just seen the score off the town game, holy feck what is ould pinky doing to them? What way was to the team lined out?
Pull hard and early

NAG

I think Cody himself would have trouble getting a competitive team out of that group of players.

This is one of the biggest disgraces of recent years, a club that wins an under 21 championship last year and then not being able to even field a semi competitive team in a senior league game.

What is going wrong with that club should be the question to be asking?

playwiththewind1st

Fear not, it's bound to be a 9 or 10 team Division 1 next year & SHC unchanged. Bet they're working on it already.

clootfromthe21

Any word on the Under 21 team for tonight? Are thet going to take this seriously this year, or allowed themselves to get caught like last year?

Two Hands FFS

Its next wednesday Cloot. They were training last night. 24 were present

NAG

God that is more than traveled for the seniors at the weekend is there any free gear going or whats going on?

Two Hands FFS

Ha Ha. I dont NAG. I'm sure we should have a good solid team if fit.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: NAG on July 09, 2008, 12:13:53 PM
God that is more than traveled for the seniors at the weekend is there any free gear going or whats going on?

County website would argue with that assertion !! ;)

NAG

Minder

FROM Official Antrim Guestbook. I havent heard the word "twaddle" used in many a year........

Name : Jerry

What does it say about the morale of the camp and indeed the management that only 18 players travelled to Waterford at the weekend........

Admin Reply - This is absolute twaddle. Get your facts right and stop listening to hearsay and gossip.

NAG

Minder

I know for a fact how many went and this is the kind of BS that is really putting me off this current set up, if they had a full compliment of players why did they feel the need to go back and ask cap in hand for p magill to come back for the weekend?

Just tell the truth for once the weekend was a shambles and we must have looked like seriously professional outfit warming up with 18 players.

Serious questions need to be asked and if the administrator on the county website cant see that then he is more blind than that eejit on bloody big brother!

Minder

Oh i know NAG, one of the Glenariffe players asked a Cushendall player (that was named to start i think against Waterford) after the league game on Sunday how he got on and he said he didnt go ! !

playwiththewind1st

All-Ireland SHC qualifiers
At Walsh Park.
Waterford 6-18
Antrim 0-15
Waterford - C Hennessy; E Murphy, K McGrath, D Prendergast; S O'Sullivan, T Browne, J Kennedy; M Walsh, D Bennett (0-1); E Kelly (2-3, 3f), G Hurney (1-0), S Molumphy (1-0); E McGrath (0-5), D Shanahan (0-4), J Mullane (2-2). Subs - J Nagle (0-2) for Bennett, B Phelan for Browne, P Flynn (0-1) for Hurney, R Foley for Walsh, T Feeney for Prendergast.
Antrim - R McGarry; A Graffin, C Donnelly, J McKeague; C Herron (0-1), K McKeegan, J Campbell; E McCloskey, PJ O'Connell (0-2); S McNaughton (0-1), K Stewart (0-2), B Quinn (0-1); M Herron (0-1), P Richmond, P Shiels (0-7, 5f).
Ref - M Haverty (Galway).

No Antrim subs mentioned rite enuff.