Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Minder on January 27, 2008, 04:57:15 PM
i take it that report is from the bbc? As it is full of their usual lazy bastard journalism,simon mc coy? Michael magill? I take it they meant paddy

No, Michael alright. Thought he played well throughout.

Baile an tuaigh

Can you give us any more details cloot if you were there? was it a fair result who played well..

clootfromthe21

Given a quick summary on the Walsh Cup thread, Ballintoy.

Anyone any result from Armoy?

Baile an tuaigh

Heard they were beat no furthur details at the moment. Thanks for the report cloot.

clootfromthe21

Got the photo, Ballintoy!!!

Is that Ali McAlistair keeping his eye on the ball???????????????

SouthArmaghBandit

Guillem2 - I see your young fella has made the county minor panel. Well done to the lad. Hope he does well.

PlayWithTheWind

from the county website:

Walsh Cup Final    28 January 2008

The Walsh Cup final has been officially fixed for this Sunday 3rd Februaury at 2pm in Casement Park by the Leinster Council.

However, Antrim officials have learned today that Offaly have lodged an objection about the venue with the Leinster Council this morning.

Antrim county officials have indicated to the Leinster Council that all semi-finalists knew last week that should Antrim defeat UCD on Sunday, that the venue for the final would be Casement Park. They have expressed their views and insist that this committment must be honoured.
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

podge

Quote from: PlayWithTheWind on January 28, 2008, 03:46:07 PM

Antrim county officials have indicated to the Leinster Council that all semi-finalists knew last week that should Antrim defeat UCD on Sunday, that the venue for the final would be Casement Park. They have expressed their views and insist that this committment must be honoured.

don;t tell me they are thinking of changing the rules after the outcome is known!!!! :o

that would never happen in Antrim with leagues or anything like that ;)

milltown row

podge, you still annoyed at the re-structuring of our leagues?

i'm sure he CCC have everybodys interests at heart. the chairman of the CCC (st pauls) has even put his own team into div 3 along with the county Chairman's team.
??? ??? ???

podge

Quote from: milltown row on January 29, 2008, 11:28:48 AM
podge, you still annoyed at the re-structuring of our leagues?

i'm sure he CCC have everybodys interests at heart. the chairman of the CCC (st pauls) has even put his own team into div 3 along with the county Chairman's team.
??? ??? ???

Yes, its fair to say I am annoyed.  I have said on here before that our leagues need to be changed but that it needs to be done in a fair manner.  none of the changes will dramatically change the fortunes of antrim hurlng to the extent that they need to be pushed through without clubs having fair notice to play for their position. 

I don;t buy this argument that a team goes out to win every game regardless.  we all know that doesn;t happen in the real world as teams experiment and if backs are to the wall, men will make an extra commitment that they would not otherwise do.

I also think its a bit ironic for Antrim to be calling for Leinster to 'honour their commitment' when they are not prepred to do so themselves.  Granted its the clubs that ulimately decide but the whole debate has become 'personalised' by the fact that they are asked to vote for something in the full knowledge of how it directly impacts them- it should be done in advance of the season.

NAG

Sure we already know that Antrim wont stand over anything and that they are always just looking for appeasement rather than making the hard calls that wil benefit us all in the long run.

Have to say pleased with the good start the hurlers have made to the season. Although I would still have reservations about the league and I think i will hold comment until the first league game has come and gone.

Keep the hard work up!

milltown row

will if the leagues were a bit more meaningful with two up two down then teams know they cant slip up. they need to go out and win a handful of games to stay in top flight. i think if we were to drop down to the div 2 league with lamhs  ballycran rossa and sarsfields, then it would be competitive for everybody. would the senior Championship consist of the top flight teams? and what will happen to the reserve teams?

milltown raver

have to disagree milltown rower, yes the leagues should be a bit more meaningful, but surely teams deserve to know a season in advance of the consequences of finishing in certain places. we played at least three games at the end of the season last year were it was seen by us as a "bit of craic" as there was no meaning in it, as we were already safe- I even think you got a run out  ;D. i would say the same applied to rossa and other clubs also. 

aontroim

From Antrim website (fair play to L. Smyth the new PRO - seems to be on the ball with getting things on the site quickly)

Next year's hurling leagues have been significantly changed.

Division 1 will consist of the top 8 teams only from last year's Division 1. Matches in this Division will be played on a home and away basis.

Division 2 will consist of 16 teams i.e the 5 teams finishing bottom of last years Division 1, the 10 teams who were in last year's Division 2 and the team promoted from last year's Division 3. These matches will be played on a one round basis only. However, this division will be split for the following year into 2 divisions of 8 teams and matches will then be played on a 2 round basis.

Divisions 3 and 4 will be equally divided depending on a team's league status from last year's leagues.

Promotion and relegation will still occur at the end of this year on a one up and one down basis.

In another major change to the hurling championships, an ammendment to the CCC proposal to go to an open draw for all grades of championships was passed, but no seeding would occur at any level.

---------------------------------------------

Thats a severly congested Div 2 - 16 teams 1 way - at least the teams will get plenty of games and all to play for.  Compromise all round it looks like.

milltown row

i'm annoyed at not being dropped down into div 2 but the fact now that they accomodated the div 2 teams. and the reason for this is what? what will rasharkin get out of being tanked by us rossa ballycran and lamhs?

this is a cop out by the county aontroim, have you got the inside track on this (think you do) i'm sure the 5 teams going down did not vote on this proposal. will it be two down two up from now on, or will they again chage it willy nilly when someone kicks up a stink