Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keep her low this half

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 08, 2021, 05:37:34 PM
I did say if. I am not convinced Dunloy will win... I hope they do but not sure. I thought that they came up a bit short tactically last few games - especially how they handle sweepers and a more packed defense -  so hopefully Dick O'Kane has learned from it.
I thought Dunloy were excellent tactically against Rossa in the final pushing up on the puck outs and causing turnovers. I would expect them to try something similar on Sunday

Milltown Row2

Quote from: keep her low this half on December 09, 2021, 10:53:55 AM
I did say if. I am not convinced Dunloy will win... I hope they do but not sure. I thought that they came up a bit short tactically last few games - especially how they handle sweepers and a more packed defense -  so hopefully Dick O'Kane has learned from it.
I thought Dunloy were excellent tactically against Rossa in the final pushing up on the puck outs and causing turnovers. I would expect them to try something similar on Sunday

Yeah and to counter that S'Neil have plenty of ball winners should they go long, can't assess them as it's been 2 years now, being a point or two away from beating the eventual winners and seeing as that team is still winning the Kilkenny championship its difficult to find a form line on them. Dunloy have improved a lot also, both age and physically.

Be a good match
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

That was certainly an issue the last time they played in Newry.

From what I've saw from Dunloy they lack a big physical target man up front who can either win his own ball in the air or break it down to the speedsters coming off him for the break so they're going to have to work the long range points from midfield and beyond and get a lead on SN going into the last quarter forcing SN to push up and leave more space for the Dunloy forwards..

How the deal with Brendan Rodgers and Shay ?? McGuigan at the other end will have an effect on the game as they can win their own ball and know where the net is. Blunt them and as much as it'll be a dour contest neither team will give a shite if they're victors in the end.

imtommygunn

Tbh a big physical ball winner is something we have lacked in the county for years never mind Dunloy. That is why McManus always gets moved up into the forwards.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I was thinking Dunloy few weeks back. As the pitches get sodden im turning more to Sneil. There is no bounce any more in the ball, if it doesnt go staright to hand, it will be the boys wiht the bigger thighs and arses that will win in

Jonkunlon

Turmoil within the Rossa squad/management before the final detracted from their performance on the day. Certainly didn't help. It is my belief Colly Murphy has quit as a result.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Jonkunlon on December 09, 2021, 11:25:21 AM

Turmoil within the Rossa squad/management before the final detracted from their performance on the day. Certainly didn't help. It is my belief Colly Murphy has quit as a result.

A few weeks ago. Some player unrest apparently
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Cody could have taken that team against Dunloy that day and there still would have been one outcome, Dunloy blew them out of the water, didn't help that a few frees weren't taken, they at the very least would have kept them closer, but Dunloy got it right, Collie got them there, there is no shame in losing a final.

Selection of teams will never please everyone, that's his job, players won't always like a manager, but you are playing for the club, family and in a lot of cases the parish. any issues players have should never come in the way of representing all that.

From what I seen over the last few years Rossa are well established and have the bones of a championship winning team or two there.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Only for the age demographic of Dunloy maybe but couldn't see it. They were so far off the pace on final day.

north_antrim_hound

Very valid points by all but the feeling in Dunloy in regards to the last time in Newry is we just played sh..e and there was still only three points in it when Nigel Elliott was sent off very harshly. The narrative is we must learn how to win against meat grinder teams in conditions that favor teams like S/N. Our last good team had no problem with the robust mindset Derry teams bring so these lads are at a crossroads. Call me overconfident but I think we have enough to get over the line. Hats off to Tommygun on highlighting most Antrim players Aerial ball winning abilities, it's been a big problem for years.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

imtommygunn

Except for John and Conor Carson lol. (No I'm not from Cushendall haha). I hope you're right NAH.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on December 09, 2021, 03:05:09 PM
Very valid points by all but the feeling in Dunloy in regards to the last time in Newry is we just played sh..e and there was still only three points in it when Nigel Elliott was sent off very harshly. The narrative is we must learn how to win against meat grinder teams in conditions that favor teams like S/N. Our last good team had no problem with the robust mindset Derry teams bring so these lads are at a crossroads. Call me overconfident but I think we have enough to get over the line. Hats off to Tommygun on highlighting most Antrim players Aerial ball winning abilities, it's been a big problem for years.

Ok, Overconfident... lol

I hope you are right

Big Jackie was a great ball winner out on the wing

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 09, 2021, 03:25:34 PM
Except for John and Conor Carson lol. (No I'm not from Cushendall haha). I hope you're right NAH.

Edit: just seen that lol

johnnycool

Big Jackie was good in the air, not only catching, but the big one handed swing (normally because he'd his other hand in your face  ;D  )

Horse and Paddy Richmond were good in the air if not overly tall, Paddy in particular liked to catch from behind you, all to do with the timing with him and he was good at it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on December 09, 2021, 03:58:29 PM

Big Jackie was good in the air, not only catching, but the big one handed swing (normally because he'd his other hand in your face  ;D  )

Horse and Paddy Richmond were good in the air if not overly tall, Paddy in particular liked to catch from behind you, all to do with the timing with him and he was good at it.

Clute too, and christ knows I swung like hell to get that ball. Big Mort to at Cushendun could catch