Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonkunlon

Dunloy will be top of the pile for a time to come. Cushendal have little coming through, Loughiel have some decent but not spectacular underage teams, certainly not enough to compete with Coby, Keelan, Ronan, Seaan, Eoin, Deáglan and Ryan to name a few of their young guns.

Outside of that St John's and Rossa are next closest but only with their current crops. Could they do it over the next year or two? Maybe, if they keep everyone fit.

Ballycastle have underachieved for 30 years - the club needs read out from top to bottom. No coaching structures, no interest in developing weaker players. Until they get a hurl in every child's hand they will keep getting the same results. A fractured club.

St Endas are arguably the club everyone should be looking over their shoulders at. A great set up with great structures. A Gaelscoil in their grounds, great numbers and already success is starting to come their way in both codes. They travel to NA to compete in hurling competitions every week - clear buy in from the parents.

3 fully deserving Champions at the weekend. The senior game felt like a training match.

bogieman

Watson is one of the best hurlers I've ever seen, and still one of the best on view Sunday.

Ps well done Dunloy, will be there for a few years, it's the extra fitness and additional skills from the footie
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

paddyjohn

Saw the video doing the rounds of the end of the Ballycastle game on Saturday. Disgusting and gutless act by that Ballycastle lad, shouldn't be allowed to hurl for a few years. Also the mentor slapping him on the back needs taken to task

Jonkunlon

Given one of their club men is doing a stretch inside for a nasty incident at a juvenile hurling match you'd think they'd learn.

Na Glinntí Glasa

enjoyed the game sunday when the final whistle went lol only then can you actually relax!

Ballsy call to win the toss and not take the wind but our game plan worked out very well and that goal we got was massive. to go in at half time with the wind at our backs and level i felt we had the upper hand.

At the end up Loughgiels two goals were only there to take the bad look off the score line as it was a well deserved win for ourselves.

Neilly McGarry was fantastic for Loughgiel. A great hurler and someone who they should be intending to make sure hes kept on. He could do a job in there for a few more years. Loughgiel need to start blooding in their young lads in over the next few years and accept that they are in a rebuilding phase if they are wanting to move forward.

Hopefully now over the next few years we can keep improving and building the team. If we do that i dont see why we cant win many more championships.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 15, 2020, 09:34:49 AM
enjoyed the game sunday when the final whistle went lol only then can you actually relax!

Ballsy call to win the toss and not take the wind but our game plan worked out very well and that goal we got was massive. to go in at half time with the wind at our backs and level i felt we had the upper hand.

At the end up Loughgiels two goals were only there to take the bad look off the score line as it was a well deserved win for ourselves.

Neilly McGarry was fantastic for Loughgiel. A great hurler and someone who they should be intending to make sure hes kept on. He could do a job in there for a few more years. Loughgiel need to start blooding in their young lads in over the next few years and accept that they are in a rebuilding phase if they are wanting to move forward.

Hopefully now over the next few years we can keep improving and building the team. If we do that i dont see why we cant win many more championships.

I had the captains in and carried out the toss, Shorty won it and said that he'll play against the wind, i then asked him again, are you sure? lol! I said at the time that's a big call, he was as cool as a cucumber!

Watched it last night, maybe one or two calls or non calls i could have done, but the benefit of watching replays will always change your view. On the timing, TG4 stopped their clock on the water breaks, so it made my calling of injury time out of sync, so each half ended 2 minutes shorter than the  time on the TV.. so 5 minutes and 6 minutes were actually played as injury ;D

On McGarry, I thought he was immense in fullback and was dealing with a running forward line, Kevin Molloy was MOM for me followed very closely by Shorty
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

to be honest i didnt think you got anything badly wrong. hindsight its easy to see it from a camera and call it differently but in full flow its not easy to get everything right all the time. I did think the throw up and catch you called on Liam in the first half was wrong even from where i was standing at the far end lol but here it happens.

Even the bookings etc you got them right, even if we were all howling for a red! lol

In the end none of the frees had any bearing on the game as we were in full control in the second half. The second goal killed the game completely.

Again your timing was spot on as the cameras didn't let it run on like it was at the ground so the 6 mins were played at the end of the game.

Dan McCloskey tried his best but everthing he did seemed to go wrong. I had some sympathy for him as he was trying his best but it was one of them days that it just wasnt going to fall for him. The goal chance he could of passed it but it was actually a good tackle by woody that stopped the shot on goal.

Neillys a class act and you seen it on the pitch when Lgiel were under pressure in the second half. Fantastic performance from him and also a real sportsman at the end as he waiting to the side of the celebrations to shake every players hand - same with Tony McCloskey.
hurl like f**k boi!

Old Time Hurler

DR, I agree with you about Neilly McGarry. He was the shamrocks stand out defender. Pivotal moment for me was Dan McCloskey going through and not laying ball off, when it was cleared I knew the game was Dunloys.  Some of Loughgiels match ups in 1st half were suspect as well imo, Tony marking Seann was always gonna be tough on him.

On another note, does anyone know if leagues are gonna continue on 27 September? I can see pluses and negatives for it but in my opinion I think it would be good for clubs to give squad players game time as most teams always need to find 1 or 2 more players each year. Losing 3 months of season due to lockdown and most teams out of championship by end of August means 11 months with no hurling which I think is too much.

imtommygunn

Love the picture of Watson drinking in Dunloy with a load of Dunloy ones giving the camera the middle finger ;D Fair play to him.

McGarry was great. I thought dobbin was good too. Dunloy have so much pace that if they keep up a work rate then the other team has to work so hard and then they tire. I think even had that goal went in for loughgiel it still would have ended up as it did.

Dunno about leagues.

NAG1

Quote from: Old Time Hurler on September 15, 2020, 06:14:22 PM
DR, I agree with you about Neilly McGarry. He was the shamrocks stand out defender. Pivotal moment for me was Dan McCloskey going through and not laying ball off, when it was cleared I knew the game was Dunloys.  Some of Loughgiels match ups in 1st half were suspect as well imo, Tony marking Seann was always gonna be tough on him.

On another note, does anyone know if leagues are gonna continue on 27 September? I can see pluses and negatives for it but in my opinion I think it would be good for clubs to give squad players game time as most teams always need to find 1 or 2 more players each year. Losing 3 months of season due to lockdown and most teams out of championship by end of August means 11 months with no hurling which I think is too much.

Problem is for the match ups for LG where do they go? Pace is their real issue in the back line and no matter what the match ups were they were going to struggle.

Second issue for them is their top performers on the day most likely won't be there next year. Dunloy arent going away with that young team, so even with two 'good' minor teams I am not sure it is going to be enough to bridge that gap. Realistically they could be looking at needing 3, 4 or 5 of those minors straight into a senior team. I'm not sure that will work.

Think the toss was interesting, If LG would have won it they would have played into it as well I am pretty sure. They would would have been prepped to slow the game down, puck outs free etc keep themselves in the game. So I would say it was a surprise to them when Dunloy did the opposite to what was expected.

All in all a great championship with problem 5/6 top class games, let's hope we can keep 5 or maybe even 6 teams competing at that level next year.

Ps Scrap the leagues whats the point at this stage.

imtommygunn

Realistically with mcmanus not getting any younger I think Rossa look like their biggest threat at the minute - longer term anyway. Cushendall maybe will challenge them for a couple of years but Graffin, McManus and even Magill are getting that bit older and I don't think they'll be replaced too handily.

CitySlicker11

I don't see much wrong with Michael McShanes suggestion of completing the provincial and All Ireland series in January and February as normally would be the case. What are others thoughts?

Bronco

It's disgraceful that there are no club All Ireland's. The club championship should have been given full priority over inter-county.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on September 18, 2020, 10:50:14 AM
I don't see much wrong with Michael McShanes suggestion of completing the provincial and All Ireland series in January and February as normally would be the case. What are others thoughts?

They ain't gonna listen to him alone, when all the club finals are completed in Leinster and Munster and the respective club title managers ( probably more high profile names) Start calling for it it could be looked at.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

NAG1

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on September 18, 2020, 11:34:28 AM
Quote from: CitySlicker11 on September 18, 2020, 10:50:14 AM

They ain't gonna listen to him alone, when all the club finals are completed in Leinster and Munster and the respective club title managers ( probably more high profile names) Start calling for it it could be looked at.

Maybe would listen to him if it was him with Ballycastle and they were Antrim champions, fact he is where he is weakens any point to be made.