Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Cheers podge...you have confirmed my fears. Outside 5/6 clubs there doesn't appear to be any real ambition to reach the "Top" level. The AI series for both junior and intermediate appears to be where most clubs are aiming. How do were expect standards to improve if most teams don't possess the ambition to reach the top tier. Something which really needs to be address IMO. Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Quote from: maxpower on October 12, 2007, 10:34:40 AM
don't support them at all, if the effort to play inter county is too much for the rewards they get (gear, mileage, adulation, commerical oppurtunities) then stand aside, someone will take up the jersey.

Agreed...though I think it would help if there was a limit set on the number of county sessions each county could have (difficult to monitor maybe but ...). The training commitments in most counties are getting out of hand
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hoof Hearted

in today's irish news the Glenullin manager says that playin in (and winning) the ulster league this year is the main reason that they are in the final, so there has be something said for the ulster leagues in both football and hurling
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Balboa

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 12, 2007, 01:18:06 PM
in today's irish news the Glenullin manager says that playin in (and winning) the ulster league this year is the main reason that they are in the final, so there has be something said for the ulster leagues in both football and hurling

Im sure someone will correct me in the unlikely event that i am wrong  ;) but i think the Football was run off earlier in the year so would have been of benefit.

Ruairi Og exile

Yes winning last years Ulster league definately helped Loughgiel in the 1st half of last years county final ;)

NAG

Lads
Lets face it the ulster league didnt provide to many quality games?
Yes the number of games went up and that was a good thing, but if we get our own leagues sorted properly then we could have this year in and yeat out without the ulster leage.

Balboa

RuairiOg....There seems to be a bit of s*itstirring on Hogan Stand about a fallout in the Dall,i take it someone is just mixing? Elliott going to Cushendun, Graffin & Magill to Rossa, Scullion to Glenariffe.

Ruairi Og exile

Balboa..read that myself. It's a pile of shite. There was fall out at all.

girt_giggler

Quote from: Balboa on October 12, 2007, 02:19:55 PM
RuairiOg....There seems to be a bit of s*itstirring on Hogan Stand about a fallout in the Dall,i take it someone is just mixing? Elliott going to Cushendun, Graffin & Magill to Rossa, Scullion to Glenariffe.

A load of b******ks obviously, as most of the stuff on hoganstand is, but why in this earth, if for arguments sake would Graffin & Magill go to Rossa if a situation ever arose. laughable.

orangeman

Somebody is stirring the brown stuff alright !

Balboa

Quote from: girt_giggler on October 12, 2007, 03:15:11 PM
Quote from: Balboa on October 12, 2007, 02:19:55 PM

A load of b******ks obviously, as most of the stuff on hoganstand is, but why in this earth, if for arguments sake would Graffin & Magill go to Rossa if a situation ever arose. laughable.

Probably because they are studying in Belfast & Scullion lives in Glenariffe,but as was said before it is someone that has got their homework done early this weekend and has a bit of spare time.

milltown row

any match reports from yesterdays game Skull/max?

NAG

Was in casment yesterday and looked like Dunloy's players had all been suffering with a severe hang over.

Fair play to Ballycran they were very mobile all over the field. Tactically I think Dunloy were sold a pup, the move of Molloy to centre half back fired big time, he is normally an accomplished half back but was ripped asunder by the Ballycran 11 who moved him around a good bit. Dunloy's half back line got completely wiped out and pretty much roasted, they actually took Patch Mullan off but it could have been any of them thought Shivers would have gone with him, he is very weak under a dropping ball for a half back.

Ballycran's midfield totally dominated the break ball, dunloy's midfield was very poor and gave little coverage to their defence and this led to ballycran getting good quality ball to their forwards. At numerous times throughout the game M Curry and P Shields were 30 yards from their men.

Up front apart from Ally in the first half no one even looked like a forward. D Quinn won one ball in the whole of the game. Second half C McGuckian and G O'Kane got into the game and just about saved dunloy's bacon, G O'Kane was cute enough to set up the goal which mc guckian fired home well.

All in all ballycran shwoed themselves to be a very competent team, they must have created 8-10 goal chances without fear of contradiction. The only thing they will be disappointed is that they didnt take more of them and they would in the Ulster final this morning. However is probably the only ever day that they are going to catch Dunloy on such a bad day with so many of their players playing so poorly.

milltown row

cheers NAG. couldn't find ulster club Championship, hardstation

Last Man

Definitely a bad day at the office for Dunloy, the session at the weekend could have been partly to blame but they were maybe too complacent also, sure wasn't everyone. The Crans half forwards pulling out to the midfield really seemed to unsettle the Dunloy half backs as they were left marking spaces then they had difficulty regrouping and picking up runners when the crans attacked. I agree any of the half backs could have been subbed but suppose patch will be singled out because of the perception he is getting on a bit.
(I'll bet we see a MOTM performance from him next day out). The scores Ally took in the first half were a joy to watch, if he was born in Killkenny or Cork how many Allstars would he have by now.

Glensman

Someone do me a favour and fire up the Hurling League tables from the Antrim website. Can't access it at work here.

www.antrimgaa.net

Thanks.