Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

Good effort today by our seniors, they might not be the most talented senior squad we ever had but certainly one the most honest in terms of effort ( what more can you ask for )
The loss of shorty ( half time after hitting 1.01 ) and the Mc manus injury took a bit of sting out of our attack but we battled away to the whistle
John Dillon did as good as any full back did last summer on callanan
When tipp where six down at half time they sprung Benny Maher and he had an immediate effect
Young Rooney has come on leaps and bounds and kept john Mc grath to two points
Simon Mc Crorry was outstanding as always

we have to learn how to get more useful ball in at times
Our short game was good but long ball very 50/50

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

NAG1

If only there was a way of playing these types of teams in a meaningful way, in the early spring on a regular basis in some sort of home and away format...... :o

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 27, 2017, 11:17:14 AM
Anyone know how the hurlers did v down last night in a challenge match

I bought an Irish news this morning for the first time in ages
Three pages on C J Mc Gourty but not a pip on this weekends festival of hurling in honour of father Reid including the all Ireland champions spending the weekend there training and playing our hurlers on Sunday
WTF

The irish news is nothing more than a cheer leader for football. Its the main focus every day. You have football men for basically all the columns now and it gets boring reading the same dross each week about how Down, Derry, Armagh and Tyrone are doing each week. change the record ffs.
hurl like f**k boi!

north_antrim_hound

In fairness I think this current bunch of
Players and management are trying their best to get promoted again
It's a pity we couldn't get players like Saul and l Ryan Mc Cambridge to commit

NAG1

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 30, 2017, 10:42:13 AM

Im not knocking that at all and yeah we should have everyone committed and pushing it forward, unfortunate that we dont.

I just got a bit sickened at the doffing the cap and uncle tom attitude to the weekend. I suppose that's what happens when there are external bodies involved. Not to take away from the meaning of the weekend etc just IMO

paddyjohn

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on January 30, 2017, 10:42:13 AM

I actually forgot about McCambridge not playing.

BrendanAntrim

"I just got a bit sickened at the doffing the cap and uncle tom attitude to the weekend"

Over the top a wee bit there??  ::)

NAG1

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on January 30, 2017, 11:21:37 AM
"I just got a bit sickened at the doffing the cap and uncle tom attitude to the weekend"

As I said IMO.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: NAG1 on January 30, 2017, 11:24:20 AM

As I said IMO.

Usual for the all Ireland champs to receive a bit of that and our players didn't behave   like uncle toms once the whistle blew
They where our guest and where there to pay homage to one of their own and treated accordingly
But I know where your coming from
More positives than negatives
Kids getting to meet all Ireland champs and watch our lads put it up to them
God knows hurling needs all the promotion to kids round Belfast it can get

Imm away to buy an Irish news to see if CJ was there yesterday, they might even mention the match  😃😃

StGallsGAA

It's standard GAA protocol for the AI champions to be greeted onto the field with a guard of honour if that's what you are referring to.  Not sure what you mean by Uncle Tom comment  but I doubt if slavery terms are that appropriate for a GAA game.

Usain

Wasn't at the game but by all reports we gave a solid honest account of ourselves. That's exactly what we want.

We will inevitably fall into the old 'the best hurlers aren't hurling for the county' at some point this season but we must get over that.

We have a great bunch of committed hurlers who are doing everything to hurl for our county. Lets get behind them during this league campaign. Now more than ever, they need our support.

NAG1

Quote from: StGallsGAA on January 30, 2017, 12:52:54 PM

It's standard GAA protocol for the AI champions to be greeted onto the field with a guard of honour if that's what you are referring to.  Not sure what you mean by Uncle Tom comment  but I doubt if slavery terms are that appropriate for a GAA game.

It wasn't

paddyjohn

For the last 12 months the county has been splashed over the papers with negative news about gambling amongst players, unrest in the county board, no casement park etc and now finally when the county has been in the news publicly, people still find fault. I don't think giving Tipp the respect that they were due is any embarassment. 

NAG1

Quote from: paddyjohn on January 30, 2017, 03:04:09 PM
For the last 12 months the county has been splashed over the papers with negative news about gambling amongst players, unrest in the county board, no casement park etc and now finally when the county has been in the news publicly, people still find fault. I don't think giving Tipp the respect that they were due is any embarassment.

My point has nothing to do with giving Tipp their due respect. My point is more of a lament that we are now a county who are resigned to playing invitational matches and dressing it up, than we are to actually competing with these types of teams every year.

Kind of along the lines of the after match speeches of what a good job we are doing up here to keep the hurling going etc

I accept the reality of where we are but that doesnt mean that I have to like it, I would rather have them coming up to us in the next couple of weeks and having a full on crack at them. I would never be one for fawning over anyone.

paddyjohn

Quote from: NAG1 on January 30, 2017, 03:35:42 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on January 30, 2017, 03:04:09 PM

My point has nothing to do with giving Tipp their due respect. My point is more of a lament that we are now a county who are resigned to playing invitational matches and dressing it up, than we are to actually competing with these types of teams every year.

Kind of along the lines of the after match speeches of what a good job we are doing up here to keep the hurling going etc

I accept the reality of where we are but that doesnt mean that I have to like it, I would rather have them coming up to us in the next couple of weeks and having a full on crack at them. I would never be one for fawning over anyone.

Point well made and hard to argue with I suppose.