Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 17, 2016, 09:44:18 AM
They were supposed to enter the intermediate this year anyway as it was Na Magha's year to enter the junior championship. They chose not to enter it, got beat in the football (i was at it and they were very poor that day) and then decided they wanted into the hurling again.

It was their right to enter it and likewise not to enter it but they shouldnt of had it both ways that they can pick and choose when they entered it. The fact they had to go to the highest level to be allowed to enter shows it was their last option and lucky to get back in.

As you say link they have hurlers who dont play football but to me it shows the lack of interest in the game itself that they choose not enter it. Just because they might not win a championship doesn't mean they should just loose interest in the game.

Many clubs in ulster would love to be able to compete in the ulster intermediate cship and have to win their right to do so, its not handed on a plate each year to simply turn up

Agree, they should have fielded in the Derry SHC.

Previously, entrance into Ulster Intermediate or Junior hurling championships WAS handed on a plate to Na Magha and Coleraine. From my knowledge, it was a play off, losers junior, winners intermediate. Coleraine have already won the Junior recently so entrance into Intermediate makes sense. Ulster hurling was guaranteed win or lose, I think this should still be the case for Na Magha and Coleraine. Na Magha didn't win their right to enter the Junior.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Link on November 17, 2016, 10:41:25 AM
They were supposed to enter the intermediate this year anyway as it was Na Magha's year to enter the junior championship. They chose not to enter it, got beat in the football (i was at it and they were very poor that day) and then decided they wanted into the hurling again.

It was their right to enter it and likewise not to enter it but they shouldnt of had it both ways that they can pick and choose when they entered it. The fact they had to go to the highest level to be allowed to enter shows it was their last option and lucky to get back in.

As you say link they have hurlers who dont play football but to me it shows the lack of interest in the game itself that they choose not enter it. Just because they might not win a championship doesn't mean they should just loose interest in the game.

Many clubs in ulster would love to be able to compete in the ulster intermediate cship and have to win their right to do so, its not handed on a plate each year to simply turn up

Previously, entrance into Ulster Intermediate or Junior hurling championships WAS handed on a plate to Na Magha and Coleraine. From my knowledge, it was a play off, losers junior, winners intermediate. Coleraine have already won the Junior recently so entrance into Intermediate makes sense. Ulster hurling was guaranteed win or lose, I think this should still be the case for Na Magha and Coleraine. Na Magha didn't win their right to enter the Junior.

That's not exactly accurate. They used to both play off for the junior. It ran as a separate championship to the Derry Intermediate, but both teams would have been in that also. The winners of the junior playoff went into Ulster, I think that happened for 2 years with each winning one each.
The intermediate was those 2 clubs plus reserve team but didn't have any bearing on entry to Ulster.

Then a decision was made to rotate entry to Ulster junior without a playoff, and subsequently this rotation later brought the junior/intermediate aspect into the equation.

In reality tbh Coleraine are intermediate(senior if they were hurling only), NM are junior.

Neither club have ever asked for or had any influence on the decision.

Derry removed the junior and intermediate option 3 years ago from both clubs. They were asked to enter Derry senior or not play anything(remember NM have to go to Antrim to get games at their level)

NM who are registered as a junior club(and clearly are as they have never won Ulster despite appraeing in 2 finals) were asked to enter Derry senior or not play any championship. They entered it this year and were beat by 50 points in first round, Coleraine didn't play.

I understand some peoples frustrations with this from other counties but clubs like ER and NM don't have any chance of keeping lads hurling without competition at their own level.

Antrim Coaster

Na Magha and Coleraine have played in the Ulster Junior and Intermediate Championship in alternate years. There was never a play off to determine which club played in which championship.

That changed last year when Coleraine won the Ulster JHC and lost narrowly in the All Ireland JHC Final v Glenmore.

I wouldn't rule out their chances v The Biddies though.

Na Magha and Coleraine have had to enter the Derry SHC as a result of Derry running a half arsed Intermediate / Reserve Hurling Championship.

Obviously the step up to senior is a massive difference with both teams suffering defeats versus senior opposition.

Coleraine didn't field in the Derry SHC as a result of football commitments etc. I thought a team had to play in their own county championship in order to play provincial.

As usual Ulster appear to have fudged the issue.

Link

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 17, 2016, 11:27:39 AM
Quote from: Link on November 17, 2016, 10:41:25 AM

That's not exactly accurate. They used to both play off for the junior. It ran as a separate championship to the Derry Intermediate, but both teams would have been in that also. The winners of the junior playoff went into Ulster, I think that happened for 2 years with each winning one each.
The intermediate was those 2 clubs plus reserve team but didn't have any bearing on entry to Ulster.

Then a decision was made to rotate entry to Ulster junior without a playoff, and subsequently this rotation later brought the junior/intermediate aspect into the equation.

In reality tbh Coleraine are intermediate(senior if they were hurling only), NM are junior.

Neither club have ever asked for or had any influence on the decision.

Derry removed the junior and intermediate option 3 years ago from both clubs. They were asked to enter Derry senior or not play anything(remember NM have to go to Antrim to get games at their level)

NM who are registered as a junior club(and clearly are as they have never won Ulster despite appraeing in 2 finals) were asked to enter Derry senior or not play any championship. They entered it this year and were beat by 50 points in first round, Coleraine didn't play.

I understand some peoples frustrations with this from other counties but clubs like ER and NM don't have any chance of keeping lads hurling without competition at their own level.

Thanks for explaining how it previously was.

Your last point sums up my feelings on this. Automatic Ulster Intermediate and Junior entry should be applied for ER and NM to keep these lads hurling unless it ever comes to a stage were one of these clubs become competitive with the rest of Derry.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Usain on November 17, 2016, 10:08:36 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 16, 2016, 11:16:55 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 16, 2016, 09:51:15 PM
Quote from: hurlingstick on November 16, 2016, 05:06:49 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 16, 2016, 09:19:43 AM
Maybe Coleraine will appeal that decision also.

They got off lightly (discussion wise) on here. I'm sure they'll argue by GAA rules they were within their right to do so. But ethically their decision is horrible and very much anti GAA.

I hope Cloughmills hammer them out the gate. Shame on them.

I'm the same. I really hope they get tanked. Disgraceful what they've done.

It won't happen. Coleraine will bully them not the other way about.

No harm to you Fear Bun, Coleraine will get a hammering on Sunday. Cmills are an excellent side just ready to peak at the right time.

Id say Cmills defs better hurling team, but if you watched AIJF last year Coleraine brought a far better hurling team (Glenmore) down to their level with physicality.

TBF I haven't seen Cloughmills in a while but their league standings are impressive and I have heard good things about them. They have come a long way and have become a real force at this level, our club would love to be in their position. and have their players

Na Glinntí Glasa

its been rotated this past number of years that one goes to the junior and vise-versa. I honeslty think it detracts from the teams who have to win their respective championships to gain entry.

Coleraine lost an All Ireland junior club final last year and the following year decide not to enter the intermediate championship? to me thats very surprising.

i cant locate the derry hurling championship results online so i dont know how they fared in it, anyone know?
hurl like f**k boi!

Link

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 17, 2016, 11:38:31 AM
its been rotated this past number of years that one goes to the junior and vise-versa. I honeslty think it detracts from the teams who have to win their respective championships to gain entry.

Coleraine lost an All Ireland junior club final last year and the following year decide not to enter the intermediate championship? to me thats very surprising.

i cant locate the derry hurling championship results online so i dont know how they fared in it, anyone know?

There is no Derry Intermediate or Junior championship anymore!

Na Glinntí Glasa

i know that, i see above that NM got hammered and Coleraine didnt enter this year.

Begs the question as to how they are in the Ulsters now? bit of a hash
hurl like f**k boi!

hurlingstick

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 17, 2016, 11:53:13 AM
i know that, i see above that NM got hammered and Coleraine didnt enter this year.

Hurling at that level in Derry is just surviving. It's not good enough. As much as I respect ER for making some sort of effort I think Derry as a county don't deserve a place in the Ulster Junior/Intermediate  Championship. Look at what Cloughmills have had to do to get to this Sunday. Intermediate Championship  in Antrim is much tougher to come through than Senior.  Cloughmills fully deserve to be where they are! Do ER?

Cmills abu

Quote from: hurlingstick on November 17, 2016, 12:39:10 PM

Hurling at that level in Derry is just surviving. It's not good enough. As much as I respect ER for making some sort of effort I think Derry as a county don't deserve a place in the Ulster Junior/Intermediate  Championship. Look at what Cloughmills have had to do to get to this Sunday. Intermediate Championship  in Antrim is much tougher to come through than Senior.  Cloughmills fully deserve to be where they are! Do ER?

Not to mention a qualifier. Coleraine at the very least should have had to play that additional game. Effectively they have had 1 competitive game to get to an ulster final. Cloughmills have had 5. That additional game would have no doubt benefitted coleraine in their preparations for a final. That's if they'd have progressed obviously. Nonetheless, still expect a very competitive match come Sunday.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: hurlingstick on November 17, 2016, 12:39:10 PM

You are right it is just surviving at the minute. Na Magha only got a pitch in 2010 and a clubhouse this year. If they are allowed to grow by getting competition that suits them they will outgrow junior eventually and become competitive within Derry, they are a hurling club who have good men involved and are looking forward.
Antrim League and Ulster Junior are their lifeblood. They field in every game in Antrim and Derry (despite knowing that in Derry there is no competitive level for them). They deserve help.

I cant speak for ER but know that they struggle with numbers and are making big efforts to keep both codes alive

ER are different in that they have

Seamroga in exile

Congrats to the Biddies. Some crowd about the cornerhouse the night.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Cmills abu

Poor enough game with the pitch and conditions. 2 very soft goals for coleraine makes the score look close but in reality cloughmills were better all over the pitch. Ref was soft on an over physical coleraine side and kept coleraine in the game with some strange decisions. Not at our best today but happy to win nonetheless. Tough game but best team won.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cmills abu on November 20, 2016, 05:53:20 PM
Poor enough game with the pitch and conditions. 2 very soft goals for coleraine makes the score look close but in reality cloughmills were better all over the pitch. Ref was soft on an over physical coleraine side and kept coleraine in the game with some strange decisions. Not at our best today but happy to win nonetheless. Tough game but best team won.

What was the score?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cmills abu

1-11 - 2-6. takeaway the 2 soft goals they only got 6 points. 2. Goals came from 60m frees. Fog caught cmills keeper out twice.