Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlingstick

Reality hits home .......London, Carlow, Armagh, Kildare, Westmeath.....Our senior hurling fixtures next year.

theskull1

With Westmeath and Carlow ahead of us going on recent form

Is what it is.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Absolutely.

Westmeath & Carlow would be disappointed to lose to us - we're are not even the big hitter in this group.

We can call it the new order or our new level - we can complain they aren't the most glamorous of ties for supporters - but we cannot say this is not the level of our players.

Antrim hurling is in the league it belongs and I don't say that as a slight or as criticism - its just true.

Upward and onward, lets hope our set up knuckles down and get on with it to win the group.

Hectic

Liam Cassley is one of the casualties/beneficiaries of Ballymena withdrawing from the county leagues.  Decent footballer as well.

imtommygunn

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 19, 2016, 09:08:30 AM
Absolutely.

Westmeath & Carlow would be disappointed to lose to us - we're are not even the big hitter in this group.

We can call it the new order or our new level - we can complain they aren't the most glamorous of ties for supporters - but we cannot say this is not the level of our players.

Antrim hurling is in the league it belongs and I don't say that as a slight or as criticism - its just true.

Upward and onward, lets hope our set up knuckles down and get on with it to win the group.

It's not new is the thing. It's where we've been for quite a while. It just seems a lot didn't realise or want to accept it.

hurlingstick

Think our issue is we always considered ourselves a step above everything else in Ulster and now we find ourselves in the same division as Armagh.

general_lee

Quote from: hurlingstick on September 19, 2016, 10:55:55 AM
Think our issue is we always considered ourselves a step above everything else in Ulster and now we find ourselves in the same division as Armagh.
Eh yous were bate by Meath x2 who are a division below so don't act like you haven't already hit rock bottom

Hectic

Quote from: general_lee on September 20, 2016, 12:16:51 PM
Eh yous were bate by Meath x2 who are a division below so don't act like you haven't already hit rock bottom

What does the x2 mean?

Hectic

It is pretty galling all the same that we are at the same level as Armagh.

hurlingstick

Quote from: general_lee on September 20, 2016, 12:16:51 PM

We're very much aware that we've hit a low. Thanks for your insightful contribution though.

NAG1

Well here is hoping for a clean slate approach from the management team, any one good enough to play be given the opportunity to commit.

If they are good enough and commit to the panel then they play and if they don't commit then fair enough cheerio.

I would prefer 15 players on the panel who are committed to each other and the team, than 30 who pick and chose. At least then I can go along and support them regardless of the outcome knowing that they are giving off their best to the county set up.

theskull1

What about the 'commited to claiming as much as you can but dress it up as commitment to the team culture'? Heard some big numbers mentioned in regard to expenses claimed. I think its a thing and until we change that culture, I won't expect any change in our on the pitch endeavors 

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on September 20, 2016, 01:31:07 PM
What about the 'commited to claiming as much as you can but dress it up as commitment to the team culture'? Heard some big numbers mentioned in regard to expenses claimed. I think its a thing and until we change that culture, I won't expect any change in our on the pitch endeavors

Well I think anyone can see through those people, I am talking about commitment in the broadest sense, commitment to the team in that you give everything you can in terms of effort/ lifestyle and all the added things that go into making a top quality inter county hurler.

I would have someone in place to make sure that no player was out of pocket playing for Antrim, which also works the other way around for anyone trying to work the system, cheerio.

To me it takes a meeting at the start of the year to outline clearly what is a valid claim, state it out quite plainly what the parameters are and that there will be a zero tolerance policy with regard to dodgy claims.

I dont for a second think that the majority of county hurlers go in with the expectation of getting anything other than what they are owed.

theskull1

So what about students. Is the extra travelling/training commitments hitting their ability to get a part time job for instance? How do we square that one? Is this the way they deal with that on the qt?