Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpower

I don't know if Dunloy were ever favourites, there was always very little between these teams whenever they did meet through out the ages.

Ballycastle were much the superior team yesterday, Dunloy just didn't do themselves any justice and could not seem to win any of there own ball.  The town were very strong up the middle and very good under dropping balls. 

What happens next????

NAG

Yes I was at the game.

Ballycastle well worth their victory. They had some great performers all round the pitch, Dunloy were very poor. Neill McAuley won the first two or three balls off P. Shileds and the next thing he had a phantom injury and had to be moved.

Ballycastle strong young team should do well, be interested to know if they held any of these guys back from their team against Rossa and would any of them now be figuring against loughgiel?

Also how did Antrim CC allow 'speedy' to referee this he hasnt got a clue and more or less ruined a good clean game of hurling.

milltown row

speedy is not the worst.   :P

NAG

Milltown,

If he isnt the worst then pray tell me who is?

Balboa

Quote from: milltown row on September 13, 2007, 10:35:12 AM
speedy is not the worst.   :P

I believe Milltown is just defending a fellow clubman which is fair enough, but i think he is a poor ref.

theskull1

Quote from: NAG on September 13, 2007, 10:05:33 AM
Neill McAuley won the first two or three balls off P. Shileds and the next thing he had a phantom injury and had to be moved.
>:(
Would there be any chance that he actually did hurt his ankle NAG especially when you consider the fact that Shorty has never shied away from any physical contest in any match that I have seen over all the years watching him hurl, so piss away off with your cheap shots.

Dunloy were beaten hands down by a much stronger and more mobile it has to be said Ballycastle side. I was very impressed with them. I never thought that we were going to win the game but the manner of the defeat was shocking, but you get out what you put in and the sad fact is that as a panel, too many didn't show enough if any commitment preparing for U21 hurling this year and we relied to heavily on individuals rather than the team as a whole to get anything from the game. A lot of boys still U21 for a year or two yet, so hopefully we will remember the pain of last night defeat and make a decent go at it next year
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

was his performance going to change the score line of 4-13 to 1-6 ?

seems Ballycastle won this game handy enough.

was it a stop start game or did he try and let it flow? careful what you say here about referees i got a talking to by our admin.

NAG

Milltown

I am being careful as to what I say about referee's and I hate having to criticise someone who I know gives up their free time to do it, but it  has to be said he was so poor last night. The game never got any chance to flow he pulled the play back on numerous occasions for non fouls and then let dangerous fouls go unpunished. He is poor.

Skull

It wasnt a cheap shot its an observation having watched him over a few years, when the going gets tough he isnt to be found. He is a lovely nice hurler, but not one that will win you a championship. There I said it. He is one of these hurlers we all love to watch on the ball dont get me wrong he is classy but that class is matched with bottle which is ok the boy cant have everything.

maxpower

NAG thats nonsense, Shorty is a terrific player and i've never seen him shirk a challenge,
What happens next????

theskull1

Quote from: NAG on September 13, 2007, 12:02:50 PM
Skull

It wasnt a cheap shot its an observation having watched him over a few years, when the going gets tough he isnt to be found. He is a lovely nice hurler, but not one that will win you a championship. There I said it. He is one of these hurlers we all love to watch on the ball dont get me wrong he is classy but that class is matched with bottle which is ok the boy cant have everything.

A load of balls. I couldn't name you too many who would be more committed in a challenge. Considering the fact that he's a lad of only 18 and probably only 11 stone, that takes real guts. The physically bigger player has got strength to carry him into tackles and know that he will come out of them unscathed, Shorty has not got this luxury but still is fully committed so I really don't have a clue wtf you are talking about? Perhaps you could tell me about these games you've watched over the years?

imtommygunn

It's also hugely harsh.

The guy is what - 18 years old?

NAG

Lads lads

This an observation I have had having watched him progress from u14 development squads etc and Im not talking through my hat. If you look at him he is very lightly made up which is not his fault, I have yet to see him make a physical tackle ie a shoulder. Now if you look to my earlier post you will see that I said he is class yes but he needs other players around him to break the ball and contest for and he will clean up the breaks and hurt the opposition. That is his game.

Now in comparison if we are talking age wise, he is a peer of Neill McAuley, Neill McManus, Hippy Donnelly, all guys who are big physical men who can compete at senior level physically.

I am not saying that he isnt a good hurler just that he went missing and has done in the past which is natural because he is young. Sorry if I hit a nerve but sometimes the truth hurts

girt_giggler

Well done Ballycastle on last nights win, fully deserved, although was hoping/expecting a little more from Dunloy.

Anyway, as for Shorty, dont think NAG is criticising him in anyway as some of you may have teken him up, but we all have to remember he's only 18, plenty of time for him to fill out yet. He's as down to earth kinda guy you are ever likely to meet.

Hope has an enjoyable time few days away with his school mates... ;)

theskull1

Quote from: girt_giggler on September 13, 2007, 02:17:59 PM

Anyway, as for Shorty, dont think NAG is criticising him in anyway as some of you may have teken him up

:o So wtf is this then girt?

Quote from: NAG on September 13, 2007, 10:05:33 AM

Neill McAuley won the first two or three balls off P. Shileds and the next thing he had a phantom injury and had to be moved.

Tell us how we should have interpreted this comment? NAG is implying that shorty faked injury (an injury where he had to be substituted at half time btw) to get moved out of midfield is he not? We have every reason to take issue with this statement. Still waiting on NAG to retract it

Balboa

Why would he retract it as it is obviously his opinion? You may not like it but he is entitled to it.