Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Quote from: cfclg on May 26, 2016, 10:19:40 AM
Do you know what I really don't understand about Casement. Why do the GAA think they need this massive stadium??? I am envious of what Ulster rugby have, its perfect in every way (size/cost/layout). Why would our amateur association think we need something bigger than what a slick professional organisation like Ulster rugby require??

Even if we had the same setup as Ulster rugby it would rarely be filled to capacity anyway. No need for this 38K seater monstrosity that our average club player will never play in anymore because it costs too much to open the gates for a county final when 1K people show up!

GAA need to catch themselves on to be honest.

Valid points.
Ulster GAA say it has to be big enough to host provincial final and all-Ireland quarter finals perhaps.
But as you say, this leaves it with a terrible atmosphere for 99% of other games!
Although as a "provincial" ground rather that our county ground don't expect it will be used much anyway!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Thats one of my fears about Casement that it will be place that we will get into once a year for a club fixture. the rest of the year it will house a handful of people for national league fixtures and these qualifier games they are talking about.

What we do need in antrim is a decent second ground. I mean no disrespect to Corrigan or Ballycastle but they are club grounds and not a county ground. No seats or shelter from the elements in both grounds makes it a tough place to stand on a cold wet day.

Lets be honest, none of our grounds are what be described as a county ground. Armagh, Tyrone, Derry, Down etc all have good back up grounds that have a stand and good facilities for a match. Its something that we need to be focusing on as well.

Dunsilly is on going, casement is out of our hands and after next sats Christy Ring final and our exit from the football qualifiers our seasons over. We should be looking farther down the line, not just this year but 5 years down the line and get the ball rolling and be pro-active rather that re-active to situations.
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: hardstation on May 26, 2016, 11:23:16 AM
Your fears aren't as bad as mine. I fear we won't have a single club game in the new stadium. I also fear that our county team will only get to play championship games in it with NL games as you were with 300 people at them.

Are these fears not allayed at the public consultations or are they only looking for people to come along and say #letsbuildcasement?

Na Glinntí Glasa

Your fears aren't as bad as mine. I fear we won't have a single club game in the new stadium. I also fear that our county team will only get to play championship games in it with NL games as you were with 300 people at them.

I think that your not far off the mark there HS. All the talk i ever hear is about big games, qualifiers, concerts etc. etc. Nothing about Antrim GAA and what it will do for us and our local game.
hurl like f**k boi!

cfclg

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 26, 2016, 11:43:45 AM

I think that your not far off the mark there HS. All the talk i ever hear is about big games, qualifiers, concerts etc. etc. Nothing about Antrim GAA and what it will do for us and our local game.

You used to get some buzz playing school's finals and the odd championship match in casement (I remember some quarter finals and semis being played there, even in intermediate and junior). Unfortunately those days will be over. I suppose they have been over for a while now!!

£6M spent already, its just embarrassing!

Gizzy15

Ive said this from the very start, the Old Casement held school blitzes,underage South antrim and county finals, club chamopioship games(senior, Intermediate and Junior), county training, NHL/NFL games, MCKenna Cup games, Walsh Cup games and County championship games with and without Antrim. The New Casement with a (how much it costs to open the ground) business case i fear will host Ulster Football championship games if we get a home draw, a few big qualifer games and for the first year or so the odd (look at us get the media in) school blitz and underage club championship final. after that it will be Conferences, conterts and 3 /4 big games max a year. i hope im wrong and its only my opinion but its a real gut feeling of mine that the men and women of antrim will be tourists in their own home after the dust settles and the photoshoots are done

Gizzy15

Quote from: cfclg on May 26, 2016, 12:02:39 PM

you stole my thunder lol, it takes me too long to type

You used to get some buzz playing school's finals and the odd championship match in casement (I remember some quarter finals and semis being played there, even in intermediate and junior). Unfortunately those days will be over. I suppose they have been over for a while now!!

£6M spent already, its just embarrassing!

theskull1

Not one flyin do the people making money give about the end result.

Money IS being made
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Megaman on May 26, 2016, 09:33:52 AM
Totally agree DR, it is a tackle that could and has seriously injured a few people i know including Paudie.

A bit shocked but not surprised by our resident referees view on it.

I've yet to hear a manager of  an opposing team say yeah ref send our boy off!! Deliberate and dangerous its a red card...happens when accidental then yellow..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Only ever played in casement at u16 in a football tournament though trained there a few times. This was a small tournament without big clubs in it and it was a memory will stick with me. That kind of thing looks like it won't happen again >:(

It has become so polticial and i am not convinced anything good is coming out of it for our county.

NAG1

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 27, 2016, 07:49:08 AM
Only ever played in casement at u16 in a football tournament though trained there a few times. This was a small tournament without big clubs in it and it was a memory will stick with me. That kind of thing looks like it won't happen again >:(

It has become so polticial and i am not convinced anything good is coming out of it for our county.

So why are we being harangued into supporting this, when no one seems to want to answer the questions that are vital to us as club members within Antrim county.

Is it still going to be 'our' stadium?

imtommygunn

It is currently very hard to see it being "our" stadium.

Seeing photos posted on twitter every now and again is sad to be honest. Most other counties in ulster now have very well developed county grounds and we have nothing and don't really know when we will get something. It's a sad state of affairs.

Minder

I remember playing Sarsfields and Gort Na Mona in rin of the mill Div2 games in Casement years ago, when their grounds where getting redeveloped. Can you imagine that happening in the new place ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

NAG1

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 27, 2016, 09:03:17 AM

Seeing photos posted on twitter every now and again is sad to be honest. Most other counties in ulster now have very well developed county grounds and we have nothing and don't really know when we will get something. It's a sad state of affairs.

Not to hammer the point to death ITG but other county grounds have their 'own' grounds, what it looks like is that we are giving up that right for a 'Provincial' one which we would have no control or say in it.

So all these twitter posts about getting it built for our kids etc etc etc simply will not happen.
schools games
clubs games
tournaments
cul camps

I think we are being lead up the garden path the more I look at this.

btdtgtt

Quote from: NAG1 on May 27, 2016, 09:14:37 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 27, 2016, 09:03:17 AM

Not to hammer the point to death ITG but other county grounds have their 'own' grounds, what it looks like is that we are giving up that right for a 'Provincial' one which we would have no control or say in it.

So all these twitter posts about getting it built for our kids etc etc etc simply will not happen.
schools games
clubs games
tournaments
cul camps

I think we are being lead up the garden path the more I look at this.

And you'd be bang on the money with that.
There a big campaign about what the new Casement will do for the locality.
Has Croke Park done anything for the area around it?
Anyone who thinks all Antrim games will be played in Casement has their head placed firmly up their posterior - as for underage and schools games - please lets not even pretend they'll see the inside of it.
I want Casement re-developed as much as anyone - but let's be clear about what it will be.