Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizzy15

Quote from: north aontroim gael on May 04, 2016, 03:41:40 PM
Armoy's old changing rooms that sat on the opposite side of the pitch to the current facilities were the roughest I ever frequented!

Maybe not a whole load of craic but as somthing a bit different i would love to see a few pictures of Old facilities beside their new facilities posted on here maybe just to get a sence of just how far we as clubs in antrim have come but also to get a look at some of the ones i never had the mis fourtune to have to bare my arse in. ie i never remember the old Armoy ones but if they beat some of the ones ive been in i would love to see them.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Gizzy15 on May 04, 2016, 04:03:46 PM
Armoy's old changing rooms that sat on the opposite side of the pitch to the current facilities were the roughest I ever frequented!

Maybe not a whole load of craic but as somthing a bit different i would love to see a few pictures of Old facilities beside their new facilities posted on here maybe just to get a sence of just how far we as clubs in antrim have come but also to get a look at some of the ones i never had the mis fourtune to have to bare my arse in. ie i never remember the old Armoy ones but if they beat some of the ones ive been in i would love to see them.

Great idea.

I remember being at the opening of Glenravels new place and they had show of photos from old to new. Was very good.

Na Glinntí Glasa

thats one of our old changing rooms. i mind doing the same and going up stairs as a kid to stand at the window to get a good view of the game and then being threw out of them by the teams who didnt want us in lol

I rem also playing at the Feis weekend in Carey in the U16 McMullan cup final v Lgiel and we had to change up stairs in what appeared to be a barn of some sorts lol

its some difference to what we are lucky to have now
hurl like f**k boi!

doodaa

Is that top changing room gone now Dunloy Realist?
I remember getting changed in it as well years and years ago!
Ive never noticed it gone anytime ive been up since.

theskull1

WTF ..... Were you cryogenically frozen for the past 20 years doodaa?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ned

Quote from: paddyjohn on May 04, 2016, 04:08:10 PM
Quote from: Gizzy15 on May 04, 2016, 04:03:46 PM

Great idea.

I remember being at the opening of Glenravels new place and they had show of photos from old to new. Was very good.

Glenravel's old changing rooms were decent for their time (my home club). Started playing in the late 70's and we at least had a brick building. Dont remember anywhere having hot showers.
That photo of Dunloy's new facilities is very impressive. Would put a lot of professional sports clubs to shame. All gaels who have worked to ensure transformation of their club facilities should be very proud.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gizzy15 on May 04, 2016, 02:45:59 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on May 04, 2016, 02:16:54 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on May 03, 2016, 11:56:44 PM
Quote from: ned on May 03, 2016, 11:01:08 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on May 03, 2016, 08:46:26 PM
Quote from: bannside on May 03, 2016, 07:46:49 PM
By default that probably means PaddyJohn that you never had the unenviable pleasure of changing in the tin huts at Hugomont! Now that was an experience.

What age do you think I am?? Lol

All Saints have done a power of work, credit to the club.

Never mind the changing rooms, that pitch tested my limited skills. Sometimes had to beat a man and a low hanging branch! Most uneven pitch ever. We used to change in our cars or the bus.
Always liked Dunloy's old changing rooms. Seemed exotic going upstairs to get ready. Scene of my last ever match. I had a stormer unusually but was away to England soon after. Miss those days. You young lot are spoiled.  ;)

Never played on the hugomount pitch. I agree always was something about coming down the stairs and hitting the daylight that got the blood going.

Memories eh?

The old Dunloy changing rooms were way ahead of their times, overlooking the pitch, a dozen lads crammed against the windows looking out on a shitty day. I think one of the windows was cracked and had a sock stuck in it IIRC.
They were par for the course back then to be fair.
Showering was a hit or a miss in most clubs, either freezing cold water or piping hot, no mixer taps in sight!!

Milltown would have given anywhere a run for their money when it came to showers. Asbestos feet required back then to dare to have a shower with the concrete floors and walls painted with a thick green moss. i think thats the reason flip flops for the shower were invented. :-[

Not going to argue with that..... When I managed teams I was down early brushing those rooms out, embarrassing to be fair, and why we didn't have good changing rooms when we were making money as a busy social club back I the day is beyond me.... To be fair there is great work being done by current committee so changes are coming... Hopefully
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2016, 10:35:27 PM
By default that probably means PaddyJohn that you never had the unenviable pleasure of changing in the tin huts at Hugomont! Now that was an experience.

Never mind the changing rooms, that pitch tested my limited skills. Sometimes had to beat a man and a low hanging branch! Most uneven pitch ever. We used to change in our cars or the bus.
Always liked Dunloy's old changing rooms. Seemed exotic going upstairs to get ready. Scene of my last ever match. I had a stormer unusually but was away to England soon after. Miss those days. You young lot are spoiled.  ;)

Never played on the hugomount pitch. I agree always was something about coming down the stairs and hitting the daylight that got the blood going.

Memories eh?

The old Dunloy changing rooms were way ahead of their times, overlooking the pitch, a dozen lads crammed against the windows looking out on a shitty day. I think one of the windows was cracked and had a sock stuck in it IIRC.
Showering was a hit or a miss in most clubs, either freezing cold water or piping hot, no mixer taps in sight!!

Milltown would have given anywhere a run for their money when it came to showers. Asbestos feet required back then to dare to have a shower with the concrete floors and walls painted with a thick green moss. i think thats the reason flip flops for the shower were invented. :-[

Not going to argue with that..... When I managed teams I was down early brushing those rooms out, embarrassing to be fair, and why we didn't have good changing rooms when we were making money as a busy social club back I the day is beyond me.... To be fair there is great work being done by current committee so changes are coming... Hopefully

I'd swap clean changing rooms for a few county titles..

Fur Coat, no knickers come to mind

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on May 04, 2016, 10:48:19 PM

Memories eh?

Would like to have a facility that matches our success...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2016, 10:52:54 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on May 04, 2016, 10:48:19 PM

Memories eh?

Would like to have a facility that matches our success...

I come from what was a pretty steady club in Antrim, not a lot of success but we promoted the games and culture as best we could. We built a new clubhouse a few years back. During the building process and fundraising process a club member told us to keep our eye on the ball and don't let up on the coaching and get side tracked by the new place. In my opinion we didn't, we let the ball drop and as a result we lost the momentum that we had. We are now in a position that we are playing catch up in Football & Hurling. That's my fear for other clubs, they get sidetracked from what is most important in the GAA, the players.

Na Glinntí Glasa

One club that are in bad need of new changing facilities is cloughmills. was in their place the other week and they are grim. I know that they are trying to raise money to get new changing rooms constructed and thats great to see but its a long struggle.

That being said they have one of the best pitches to play on about. Their club has been brilliant with ourselves in working out an agreement to allow our club to train on it and play matches on it should the weather rule ours out.
hurl like f**k boi!

Stillwater2

Dunloy set up is very impressive.

We played Sarsfields the other week, there new 4G pitch is some set up. Place was bunged with juvenile training and didn't stop in the 2 hrs that we were there.

There lad doing umpire was telling me that have new changing rooms in the pipeline, hope to have them up this year sometime. That along with the terracing and seating is very impressive.

All clubs looking to improve.

cfclg

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 05, 2016, 08:52:03 AM
One club that are in bad need of new changing facilities is cloughmills. was in their place the other week and they are grim. I know that they are trying to raise money to get new changing rooms constructed and thats great to see but its a long struggle.

That being said they have one of the best pitches to play on about. Their club has been brilliant with ourselves in working out an agreement to allow our club to train on it and play matches on it should the weather rule ours out.

Have to agree, cmills is very poor. No showers etc in this day and age is just no use for traveling teams.

Miltown have pretty poor away changing rooms too but I'd say the worst in Belfast which I have witnessed is Sarsfields. They've maybe changed it now but a few years ago it was desperate!

Na Glinntí Glasa

i read that the other day as well. Its an honest reflection of the state of Offaly and hurling in the county.

To be fair Antrim have long known that we were in bad shape and have openly admitted it. Offaly and a few other counties have been living in a bubble thinking they were still as good as they used to be. They dont merit being directly in the Leinster Championship at all.
hurl like f**k boi!