Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Tough fixture to prepare for given weather and suitable opposition for games. Add in the time since last competitive game.
Sure it's the same for both teams - but I can't help think it's another way clubs are s**t on with the master fixtures. Huge games stuck in the depth of winter.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 19, 2016, 11:16:42 PM
Tough fixture to prepare for given weather and suitable opposition for games. Add in the time since last competitive game.
Sure it's the same for both teams - but I can't help think it's another way clubs are s**t on with the master fixtures. Huge games stuck in the delta of winter.

Look when the prize is to play in Croke Park on St Patricks' day, you'll run over hot coals and swim in the Antarctic!!!

Is what it is.... Not enough time to run it off before Xmas... Unless counties start leagues and championships earlier .. November and parts of December were terrible for weather so getting games and preparing then is no different (in my opinion)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hand up

MR2 your right, I don't know how the Gaa propose to run it off in the calendar year for the reasons you say. Oct /Nov  were the mildest on record and preparing was easy, Dec/ Jan a different story altogether, getting pitches with lights has been a nightmare. Clubs like Armoy and Ballymena have been super.

imtommygunn

If you look at our own county there is no reason we shouldn't have club championships played off way sooner than they are. The more successful counties make it more problematic though and then I guess we don't want to not be fresh going into ulster or our teams would be at a disadvantage.

I thought they were moving to playing it off in a calendar year at some stage though? (I would miss the st patricks day finals if they did mind you)

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 20, 2016, 07:59:25 AM
Sure it's the same for both teams - but I can't help think it's another way clubs are s**t on with the master fixtures. Huge games stuck in the delta of winter.

Look when the prize is to play in Croke Park on St Patricks' day, you'll run over hot coals and swim in the Antarctic!!!

Is what it is.... Not enough time to run it off before Xmas... Unless counties start leagues and championships earlier .. November and parts of December were terrible for weather so getting games and preparing then is no different (in my opinion)

No argument over the prize and effort put in - nobody ever would say otherwise.
But the fact remains - the master fixture schedule could be laid out better to give more prominence to clubs. I don't thing there's a part of Ireland that wouldn't agree with that - it's even made the floor of Congress which is some achievement given the North Korean style there.

pullhard

[/b]

The Kilkenny game at the weekend was a piss take, hurling should not be played on such a terrible pitch at this time of year.

I'd like to club championship started started earlier in the year across the board, and club all irelands finished in the same year.

There are always far to many wasted evenings during summer

Na Glinntí Glasa

agree totally. the championship is played far too late in antrim. With this year coming we will be dusted and read up a lot earlier so we should be aiming to get the championship started earlier. Playing games in November and December is a joke.

The weather this year has been really bad so its not ideal for going out on grass. I know our pitches are completely shut down and wont be open till March at this rate!

Im heading down to the creggan match this weekend so hopefully they can start a good few weeks for antrim hurling!
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

So would it be a possibility for each County to have a full size 4G pitch with a stand of sorts for the fans to accommodate these games when the weather is so shite? and still able to play the games at Croke Park when they reach them as that pitch is playable no matter what the weather is like?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

cfclg

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 20, 2016, 10:46:13 AM
So would it be a possibility for each County to have a full size 4G pitch with a stand of sorts for the fans to accommodate these games when the weather is so shite? and still able to play the games at Croke Park when they reach them as that pitch is playable no matter what the weather is like?

I think by doing this we would only be accommodating the real problem. I would go as far to say that club finals should be finished before end of November each calendar year and let divisional/county boards work back from there. Lets fit everything else (including county games) around our premier club tournaments. Obviously there are so many obstacles, but for me that's the nuts and bolts of what needs to happen.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: cfclg on January 20, 2016, 12:38:59 PM

I think by doing this we would only be accommodating the real problem. I would go as far to say that club finals should be finished before end of November each calendar year and let divisional/county boards work back from there. Lets fit everything else (including county games) around our premier club tournaments. Obviously there are so many obstacles, but for me that's the nuts and bolts of what needs to happen.
Then it needs to be a universal system that runs with every county board that is linked to a national leagues and county championships programmes.... but with Croke park looking to have b championships at football we will just get more delays from county managers demanding more time with the county players thus holding everything up!!

not possible to really have the club finals done by end of August as counties who get to the business end of things are still trying to run off their clubs championships ...

It's all about the timing and unfortunately that's the only time to fit it in.... would like to ask the players who have hurled on these 4G grounds what their view on the playing surface and would it be a goer for club semi finals where maybe the weather aint great but at least the pitch has a great surface to it and wont detract form the game.... remember it rains and blows a gale in the summer too

btdtgtt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 20, 2016, 12:58:35 PM
Quote from: cfclg on January 20, 2016, 12:38:59 PM

Then it needs to be a universal system that runs with every county board that is linked to a national leagues and county championships programmes.... but with Croke park looking to have b championships at football we will just get more delays from county managers demanding more time with the county players thus holding everything up!!

not possible to really have the club finals done by end of August as counties who get to the business end of things are still trying to run off their clubs championships ...

It's all about the timing and unfortunately that's the only time to fit it in.... would like to ask the players who have hurled on these 4G grounds what their view on the playing surface and would it be a goer for club semi finals where maybe the weather aint great but at least the pitch has a great surface to it and wont detract form the game.... remember it rains and blows a gale in the summer too

That's why I specifically said Master fixtures - the GAA calendar is something that can only be addressed at Croke Park/Congress Level.
The scheduling of club fixtures is a nationwide issue - and unlike county fixtures - one which effects every single Gael.
I'm glad it has been highlighted in many media and opinion pieces - and is now reaching Congress.
Maybe we'll actually do something more than lip-service about finding a remedy.

My personal opinion is that the solution (whatever it is) must involved shortening the inter-county season.
Benefits club gaels (ie) all gaels, and helps alleviate the constant focus on "sacrifices" and training regimes / burnout etc from county players. The money men still get their big revenue generating fixtures - the fact is much of the county season is irrelevant games.

There might not be a perfect solution - but there is certainly a better way than present.
Let's hope we have the courage to try something - light a candle rather than complain about the dark and all that.

Milltown Row2

There was 3 club games I'd say after Championship this year that really were dead rubbers... if you have 8 teams per league with top four playing off at the end of season and bottom four playing off  to stave off relegation then these games become meaningful and can help with seeding next year... that way they don't become meaningless

I cant really see at present that they will shorten the Intercounty games....All championships at all levels go to extra time including finals.... Intercounty games the same and no more back door fecking games, pure muck... you're out and stay out, do away with provincial championships to and have open draws, get knocked out of the first round you drop into a B championship, that's your second bite at the cherry but at a lesser grade

cfclg

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 20, 2016, 01:25:11 PM
There was 3 club games I'd say after Championship this year that really were dead rubbers... if you have 8 teams per league with top four playing off at the end of season and bottom four playing off  to stave off relegation then these games become meaningful and can help with seeding next year... that way they don't become meaningless

I cant really see at present that they will shorten the Intercounty games....All championships at all levels go to extra time including finals.... Intercounty games the same and no more back door fecking games, pure muck... you're out and stay out, do away with provincial championships to and have open draws, get knocked out of the first round you drop into a B championship, that's your second bite at the cherry but at a lesser grade

Agree with this. Champions League/European rugby championship type formats work for them so why not GAA??? The main obstacles are the old cronies in provincial councils wanting to keep their Munster/leinster cship. In order to move forward, sacrifices, such as the Munster hurling cship will have to be made. Maybe too radical a proposal for most but that's what this whole debate really comes down to, each looking after their own.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: cfclg on January 20, 2016, 01:57:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 20, 2016, 01:25:11 PM

Agree with this. Champions League/European rugby championship type formats work for them so why not GAA??? The main obstacles are the old cronies in provincial councils wanting to keep their Munster/leinster cship. In order to move forward, sacrifices, such as the Munster hurling cship will have to be made. Maybe too radical a proposal for most but that's what this whole debate really comes down to, each looking after their own.

The CL as a model at the start worked really well however it has now become stale due to the amount of teams being allowed to compete in it. Its a competition that only becomes interesting when your down to the final 8 teams and the cream has rose to the top.

The same would apply to our game. There would be some interesting games i give you that but there would also be plenty of dead rubber games where counties who are finishing last will find their lads leaving for the summer to travel, much the same as what would happen with this 'B' competition.

Sky etc will not cover say Antrim v Louth or Carlow v Leitrim instead they will want to plump for the big classes and wait till the bigger counties meet in the quarter finals.

The current model works in Ulster as its the most competitive, the rest are all a case of waiting till Kerry/Cork, Dublin & Mayo win their trophy back again.

I know we dont want to be in a B competition but we didn't want to be in one either in the hurling!. Football is going the way of hurling where its the elite counties that will win it each year and the gulf continuous to get bigger.
hurl like f**k boi!

Sleeping giant

Armoy were massive for us in the run up to games.  Was never an issue getting there pitch night or day,  made life easier for sure.  On another  note  What about Kevin Ryan getting Tyrone job?????
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.