Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

It really is a slow gaa news month..... First its the hanging of CJ for newspaper article and now its sack the board stuff for comments made about south teams not fielding......

I've taken my juvenile teams and during holidays its a miracle you get 15 kids to go to Ballycastle during the week, it happens both ways too... Maybe just maybe that a couple of clubs were unfortunate to have a couple of games called off and exaggerated slightly??

On other Gaa news,

Was refereeing the county v Creggan the other night, while it was two teams poles apart there was some excellent play in the first half.... Take away the goals Antrim got it was very competitive and Creggan will definitely do well in the semis.... Few new faces playing for Antrim seniors too, all very promising
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on December 20, 2015, 01:03:28 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on December 19, 2015, 11:12:45 PM
Yes. They should resign. As they have exposed their prejudices with lies.
I don't think you can blame me on the reaction this time given the blatant nature of this.

You do not know the precise details of the accusation levelled, but on you come here with such certainty. We can rely on armchair gales like yourself to blow on about how it should be done better when in all likelihood poor communication would explain a lot of things.

Heres an hypothesis that might dispel this notion of prejudice.
The NA report could simply have taken a opinion from the floor in regard to how the leagues ran off and one or two club delegates made comments in regard to games not getting played. Its possible that they accepted that to be the case. No one could suggest Rossa didn't respect the league last year, so its beyond me how or why their name would have been brought up, so I'd be very sceptical about the validity of what's been communicated.

Skull - I do know the precise nature - it's in black & white in the the report.
And if it was an "opinion from the floor" - it should have been checked for its validity.

You have posted a couple of times on this and it's clear just just can't accept the claim is wrong, and it's inclusion in the report is wrong.
That's not opinion - that's fact.

On an un-related point - giving out about armchair Gaels coming on here as long been addressed.
We don't know what each other does in the gaa - and this is merely an Internet discussion board.
So get over it - resorting to that claim is another deflection from acknowledging the real issue.

Really, if the report author has apologised as HS says - it's really quite strange you seek to argue the point.

Milltown Row2

Define an armchair Gael??

Somebody who doesn't/hasn't play/coach/volunteer/manage/administrator/officiate?? Currently or before

I lot of hearsay goes on both by posters here and from ones who dint read the board but are able to criticize ones who do (usually out of context)

If you participate in any of the above then I don't think you can be an armchair gael...all of the above enable the local clubs to run which helps run the seniors.... Some are self serving but we can't tar everyone...

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

Rossa's name was brought into it on twitter by someone who supports the club. Their name was never mentioned on the report, rather the poster on twitter used their club as an example to prove it was a load of nonsense, hence it came up.

That was their twitter post.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2015, 11:08:38 AM
Our name was also brought up last year along with St. John's when we were asked to attend a meeting to explain ourselves over the exact same allegations. They were no more true last year than they are this year.
Call it paranoia if you will, skull, but this isn't a mistake or bad communication. It's what's known all over the country as "a move" and those behind it know it.

What's the rules in Antrim wrt cancelling and rescheduled games, especially at underage?

IMO its far too easy for clubs in Down to cancel games for whatever reason and that's led to a lot of games not being played out from U-14 to Minor. It used to be a game couldn't be cancelled unless an agreed date had been set for the game to take place, IIRC within 6 days, which I think is right.

We'd to cancel a game due to half the team heading to the fleadh in Sligo and that game never got played!

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 21, 2015, 10:54:09 AM
Rossa's name was brought into it on twitter by someone who supports the club. Their name was never mentioned on the report, rather the poster on twitter used their club as an example to prove it was a load of nonsense, hence it came up.

Ok so now we're down to "it's the city clubs but we didn't mention St. John's or rossa"

Good god of almighty.

IT WAS WRONG.

Accept it was wrong - and accept it was prejudiced.

If you can't see that then you clearly have the same mindset.

Go figure.

imtommygunn

Independent of this you have a  real chip on your shoulder about north antrim vs city btdtgtt.

What is it they say about stopped clocks being right twice a day  ???

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 21, 2015, 11:55:00 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 21, 2015, 10:54:09 AM

Ok so now we're down to "it's the city clubs but we didn't mention St. John's or rossa"

Good god of almighty.

IT WAS WRONG.

Accept it was wrong - and accept it was prejudiced.

If you can't see that then you clearly have the same mindset.

Go figure.

wise up, where did i say anything to do with that?

I was posting for information sakes where Rossa's name had come into this and how it started and what the report actually said.

Good god read the post first before keyboard ranting.

hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

Our name was also brought up last year along with St. John's when we were asked to attend a meeting to explain ourselves over the exact same allegations. They were no more true last year than they are this year.
Call it paranoia if you will, skull, but this isn't a mistake or bad communication. It's what's known all over the country as "a move" and those behind it know it.

I will call it paranoia hs because that's exactly what it is. If you tell a lie long and loud enough, it becomes a truth. It must have become standard patter by now up your way as there's no one there to counter it.

Teams from all over Ulster play in leagues arranged by North Antrim from U8 to U14, so why oh why do you believe we're so insular in our outlook? Lets also add to that all the good relationship NA clubs have with city clubs currently with teams inviting each other for local tournaments/challenge games across the year. Just doesn't add up.

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 20, 2015, 11:48:02 AM

Thanks DR for putting that jpeg of the report in. Black and white indeed.   ::)

I've mentioned already... these questions need to be asked.
Is every team respecting the game properly?
Is every team getting enough games in the summer months?
Is it right that many teams play no league games in July and August?
Is it not right that some sort of follow up is done post season on a club per club basis to ensure every club is trying to improve their participation levels if they fail to field regularly?

Just looking at the league results on the Antrim website. I'll present what the Antrim website results report (not what the league tables report). I'm presuming the results are complete.

In U16A, Kevin Lynches played 6 out of 10 games. St Johns played 7 out of 10. Other teams were 8, 9 with Ruairí Óg one of the only teams to get all games played. Table show lots of teams on 10 played but check out the 0-0 to 0-0 scorelines.

In U16B, Creggan and Tír Na nÓg, played their last league games on the 15th of June and the whole league was done and dusted on the 27th June. 8 games in total. no walk overs

In Minor A Kevin Lynches played 4 games out of 10. Ballinascreen played 6, St Johns played 6, Ruairí Óg played 7, Slaughtneil played 7. Most teams including Rossa played 8. One (or two at most) played 9. No teams completed all 10 games. Again check out the results for 0-0 to 0-0

In Minor B Creggan played 4 out of 8, Eoghan Rua & GNM played 5, Naomh Colum Cille, St Mac Nissis & Tír Na nÓg played 6 and Glenariffe, St Galls, Lamh Dhearg played 7

North Antrim officials had no right to state "(mostly by city teams)" in their report. I still contend that this opinion more than likely was communicated from the floor and added to the minutes without checking the validity of the statement. I hope their apology was specifically in regard to this as the report does corroborate with the league results in regard to the general issue of teams failing to field.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on December 21, 2015, 01:31:23 PM

I will call it paranoia hs because that's exactly what it is. If you tell a lie long and loud enough, it becomes a truth. It must have become standard patter by now up your way as there's no one there to counter it.

Teams from all over Ulster play in leagues arranged by North Antrim from U8 to U14, so why oh why do you believe we're so insular in our outlook? Lets also add to that all the good relationship NA clubs have with city clubs currently with teams inviting each other for local tournaments/challenge games across the year. Just doesn't add up.

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 20, 2015, 11:48:02 AM

Thanks DR for putting that jpeg of the report in. Black and white indeed.   ::)

I've mentioned already... these questions need to be asked.
Is every team respecting the game properly?
Is every team getting enough games in the summer months?
Is it right that many teams play no league games in July and August?
Is it not right that some sort of follow up is done post season on a club per club basis to ensure every club is trying to improve their participation levels if they fail to field regularly?

Just looking at the league results on the Antrim website. I'll present what the Antrim website results report (not what the league tables report). I'm presuming the results are complete.

In U16A, Kevin Lynches played 6 out of 10 games. St Johns played 7 out of 10. Other teams were 8, 9 with Ruairí Óg one of the only teams to get all games played. Table show lots of teams on 10 played but check out the 0-0 to 0-0 scorelines.

In U16B, Creggan and Tír Na nÓg, played their last league games on the 15th of June and the whole league was done and dusted on the 27th June. 8 games in total. no walk overs

In Minor A Kevin Lynches played 4 games out of 10. Ballinascreen played 6, St Johns played 6, Ruairí Óg played 7, Slaughtneil played 7. Most teams including Rossa played 8. One (or two at most) played 9. No teams completed all 10 games. Again check out the results for 0-0 to 0-0

In Minor B Creggan played 4 out of 8, Eoghan Rua & GNM played 5, Naomh Colum Cille, St Mac Nissis & Tír Na nÓg played 6 and Glenariffe, St Galls, Lamh Dhearg played 7

North Antrim officials had no right to state "(mostly by city teams)" in their report. I still contend that this opinion more than likely was communicated from the floor and added to the minutes without checking the validity of the statement. I hope their apology was specifically in regard to this as the report does corroborate with the league results in regard to the general issue of teams failing to field.

Well that's that.
Except they did. Wrongly.
And with prejudice.
Simple.
And that doesn't need a chip on anyone's shoulder.

theskull1

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2015, 02:32:32 PM
Skull, last year NA board put it to the county that they wanted to run their own NA leagues at U16 & Minor. When the county refused this, NA responded by saying that Belfast teams were responsible for "poor competition" in u16 & minor grades due to non-fielding. This was proven to be incorrect.
This year, they have once again thrown this up which, has again been proven to be incorrect.

Paranoia indeed.

This year they have been proved to be totally incorrect in respect to it being "mainly" the Belfast teams not fielding (I can't talk with certainty about last year but from memory the B leagues at U16 and 18 were problematic) , but there is a problem with teams not fielding and its hitting teams in North Antrim that want more games. On that general point (leaving the brackets out) they were correct and it was right that they said it. Wouldn't you agree? 

Id say the NA executive for years has came up against a hard nosed county executive who refused to accept to facts that some teams were being adversely affected by too many unplayed fixtures to the point that they felt getting back control of the fixtures was the best option to ensure more games for NA teams. A level headed acknowledgement from the county executive and ongoing efforts made to gently remind clubs of their responsibilities year on year could have brought about positive change. I can certainly see how an idea of it being a solution to them could have germinated as much as I'd disagree with it. But if there was a county executive in denial about the facts (and we've all heard about the bullying nature on this forum), their options weren't great. I'm hoping there'll be a bit more togetherness in the years ahead

But you want to think NA have some irrational hatred of city folk rather than consider other factors that might make them consider such options.
Paranoia indeed

theskull1

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2015, 05:02:23 PM
Regardless of the county executive stance, responding to it by wrongly blaming city clubs for the problems in the league is not acceptable especially if they have legitimate reasons as you suggest. Why fabricate one if there is no agenda?

fabricate
invent (something) in order to deceive.

Using words like fabricate implies a level of corruption as opposed to lacking on proper administrative checks and balances. That's an ugly statement to make when you have no idea how that statement made it into the report.

Reality is that some NA clubs would have lost out on games due to city teams failing to field. Id expect it was those club(s) who made a specific point about "the city teams". Other clubs may have made the general point about teams not fielding without being specific about which teams. The fact that when presented with whatever facts they were presented with made the NA board apologized immediately would imply to me that this was an error rather than a fabrication as much as you want to believe otherwise.

I think your "regardless of the county executive stance" comment is letting them off the hook far too easy. Clubs failing to field is an issue and wouldn't be mentioned unless NA mentioned it

btdtgtt

If the NA Officer in question made this obvious error in his report - he must be pretty crap at his job.

If it was a general opinion for the floor - then an awful lot of people on that floor don't know s**t about it either.

I find it much more credibile to believe it's just a flat out prejudiced statement.

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 21, 2015, 06:27:41 PM
If the NA Officer in question made this obvious error in his report - he must be pretty crap at his job.

If it was a general opinion for the floor - then an awful lot of people on that floor don't know s**t about it either.

I find it much more credibile to believe it's just a flat out prejudiced statement.

If only someone with the right capabilities would make themselves available  ::)

I'd be certain that anyone who would have said it would have been speaking a truth from their own clubs perspective. The error was not looking at all the data. That nuance seems to be lost on you.

For me, I think your prejudiced refusal to accept even the potential for any other explanation for the error takes away any credibility from your opinions on the topic

north_antrim_hound

I was involved in our u 12 go games hurling team this year (Dunloy). We had cancellations  with three of the city teams. one 
we had to travel and they cancelled due to various trips down  south etc. two  did not come down. In fairness we had two other city teams who fulfilled there fixtures in Dunloy-  Rossa  and Lamh Dhearg ( with very depleted numbers so fair play  )
my biggest gripe was the lack of sufficient notice and we  had to contact them looking for confirmation of there attendance or non attendance more like
we could have arranged something else on those Saturdays

I cant speak for the rest of the N Antrim clubs you would have to ask them

I do not feel this is a north v city problem. I would attribute this sort of thing with the respective management and club more than there location on the antrim map

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets