Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Replacement all star but not nominated for an all star ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Sleeping giant

Ok firstly. Well done Neil. Nice to see another Antrim man get a replacement.  Can I ask how tho?  Last year was antrims worst year in my time,  and was Neil's worst year in an Antrim jersey since he was 18 IMO. Injured at least twice and didnt stand out much,  that's not being nasty.  That's the facts of the matter.   Club championship onwards he has been a completely different animal altogether, is this picked on years gone by or what?  For me Clarke was Antrims best hurler all year. If it was on a yearly basis and the powers that be wanted to promote hurling in Ulster/Antrim then surely the best we had last year was ciaran or maybe even Neil Mc Auley,  anyways. well done again.  All the lads that love to mix will see this as a loughgiel Cdall thing instead of a honest point/question. 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Megaman

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 03, 2015, 02:09:27 AM
Ok firstly. Well done Neil. Nice to see another Antrim man get a replacement.  Can I ask how tho?  Last year was antrims worst year in my time,  and was Neil's worst year in an Antrim jersey since he was 18 IMO. Injured at least twice and didnt stand out much,  that's not being nasty.  That's the facts of the matter.   Club championship onwards he has been a completely different animal altogether, is this picked on years gone by or what?  For me Clarke was Antrims best hurler all year. If it was on a yearly basis and the powers that be wanted to promote hurling in Ulster/Antrim then surely the best we had last year was ciaran or maybe even Neil Mc Auley,  anyways. well done again.  All the lads that love to mix will see this as a loughgiel Cdall thing instead of a honest point/question.

Nope, while delighted for Neill, totally agree with what youve said.

This has happened on a few occasions with regards Antrim Hurlers and getting All Star Replacements.

Mourne man

Lads juts out of interest who in your opinion would be the up and coming young coaches/ managers in Antrim ? And what teams are they helping out with?

MoChara

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 28, 2015, 02:51:49 PM
Quote from: Jesusjones on November 28, 2015, 02:34:36 PM
Is there a reason Saul Mc Caughan isn't there?
Working in Omagh and can't travel over in time from what I hear. He's a big loss.

You'd imagine if he can't make Antrim training etc he'll not make Ballycastle either or is there a dispensation being made for him club wise?

johnneycool

I'd say its just the usual token gesturism from Croke Park, all star replacement needed, lets give one to Antrim, promoting hurling up there and all that, who's the highest profile hurler, Neil McManus, that'll do lovely.

Don't get me wrong, Neil is a fantastic hurler on his day, but just using that as an example of how things are done in Croke Park.

btdtgtt

Maybe doing almost every single media interview going got the attention of the southern media when they were looking for a token gesture to ulster hurling?
Glad to see some recognition - but agree maybe Neil McAuley might have been more fitting.

cfclg

Quote from: johnneycool on December 03, 2015, 09:09:32 AM

I'd say its just the usual token gesturism from Croke Park, all star replacement needed, lets give one to Antrim, promoting hurling up there and all that, who's the highest profile hurler, Neil McManus, that'll do lovely.

These two posts describe this whole thing in a nutshell. I'm sure Neil is maybe even a bit embarrassed by it, knowing that he himself did not have the best year in a saffron gansai.

Don't get me wrong, Neil is a fantastic hurler on his day, but just using that as an example of how things are done in Croke Park.

Two Hands FFS

Obviously people have pulled out hence the late call up & others were maybe unavailable to go through work (getting time off work) or family commitments. Maybe Neal McA was asked but couldn't go cos he has 2 young kids....we'll never know.

More than likely its what JC said about Croke Park & promoting Hurling

For Neil it's a free holiday, happy days! But it's not something we should get too worked up about

btdtgtt

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on December 03, 2015, 09:35:26 AM
Obviously people have pulled out hence the late call up & others were maybe unavailable to go through work (getting time off work) or family commitments. Maybe Neal McA was asked but couldn't go cos he has 2 young kids....we'll never know.

More than likely its what JC said about Croke Park & promoting Hurling

For Neil it's a free holiday, happy days! But it's not something we should get too worked up about

I agree Two Hands FFS.
Never a fan of reading much in to these type of team selections.
Neil has given a lot of himself and I hope he enjoys the "junket" as some payback.
I'm quite sure he's more concerned with a certain game in February himself.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: hurlingstick on December 02, 2015, 03:33:23 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 02, 2015, 03:00:03 PM
Nigel elliott wasnt picked for the panel, hence why he wasnt included.

You're joking? When he's fully fit he's a quality player. Was he at the trials?

Went to all of them. He played the half of last season but he wasnt fully fit. A good winter training with the club will do him no harm
hurl like f**k boi!

hurlingstick

Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 03, 2015, 11:27:27 AM

Went to all of them. He played the half of last season but he wasnt fully fit. A good winter training with the club will do him no harm

For goodness sake he is a good player and should be in that panel. He has the ability and the fitness will come.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: hurlingstick on December 03, 2015, 03:18:50 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 03, 2015, 11:27:27 AM

For goodness sake he is a good player and should be in that panel. He has the ability and the fitness will come.
I believe he has been asked on to the panel.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Seamroga in exile

Saul for joining up with the county panel. Good news.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

BigPat83

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on December 06, 2015, 03:06:12 PM
Saul for joining up with the county panel. Good news.
heard that this morning myself.  A club mate of his approached Pj and told him that he was interested in being apart of it. Am sure pj is delighted to have him on board. Great news.