Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 04, 2015, 11:30:39 AM

In truth - The current problem is that there are too many clubs when the kids start. Just look at the number of Clubs who can no longer field at younger age groups!
Some don't field in hurling - so the kids are lost to the sport.
Some amalgamate due to lack of numbers - this raises issues with identity and cohesion (including discipline) and so we lose the players.
Also, when a lad does keep at it up until say U16 or minor - then his club doesn't field - he stops playing rather than transfer to a "bigger" club. End result = players lost.

In truth, I know of barely any Belfast gaels who don't appreciate the problem of too many Clubs.
But none, myself included, know of a solution.
The very fact that we have the continual stream of losing players (due to the points above never mind 'other' issues) as they go up age groups proves the case.

Could I suggest btdtgtt that the reason why so many kids are lost might be due to poor coaching (not enough adults with enough interest and know how)? Kids (and parents) will hang around if the right investment is made at younger agegroups.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

To be honest skull - while that's possible for some kids - it's most certainly not the main reason for youngsters dropping out in the city.
Rossa St Johns St Endas and a certain St Galls age level have fantastic coaches doing great things - but they'll still lose kids. Sarsfields at the youngest ages are putting in a huge effort with good men involved - they will also lose kids.
Sure some clubs struggle for quality coaches - but as I say with 100% certainty it's not the main reason for drop outs by a long shot.

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 04, 2015, 07:32:44 PM
To be honest skull - while that's possible for some kids - it's most certainly not the main reason for youngsters dropping out in the city.
Rossa St Johns St Endas and a certain St Galls age level have fantastic coaches doing great things - but they'll still lose kids. Sarsfields at the youngest ages are putting in a huge effort with good men involved - they will also lose kids.
Sure some clubs struggle for quality coaches - but as I say with 100% certainty it's not the main reason for drop outs by a long shot.

I think its a major factor. You can spot teams at U14 that have been coached better than others at U8/10/12

I don't think any club (group of mentors) who can develop a team that is competitive within their agegroup will lose or has lost 'too many' players. When they're getting beat out the gate, some of the capricious kids/parents will find another pastimes/clubs

Last Man

Quote from: theskull1 on September 04, 2015, 08:50:58 PM

I think its a major factor. You can spot teams at U14 that have been coached better than others at U8/10/12

I don't think any club (group of mentors) who can develop a team that is competitive within their agegroup will lose or has lost 'too many' players. When they're getting beat out the gate, some of the capricious kids/parents will find another pastimes/clubs
Totally agree if the quality is there, players will stay. I know we have lost a lot of ground in the last few years and is down to mostly the quality of coaching. During Niall Kearneys tenure as NA Chairman there was great work done in coaching development, there was an entusiastic cohort of people who sacraficed a lot of time to develop themselves by taking every opportunity presented. You couldnt get our coaches to go to a coaching course these days and our recent juvenile achievements reflect this.

btdtgtt

I've seen countless (city) teams win all in front of them at every age group - and all but a few drop off before senior grade.
They were well coached - they had success - and still never made it.

And that's even after the ones that dropped off because of our original too many clubs issue!

theskull1

You're conflating two very different issues. Coaching standard/commitment is separate from what you're talking about

cfclg

I don't think we can compare what goes on in Belfast at underage with what happens in NA. They are two completely different dynamics for young lads/ladies growing up. For example, schools over on a Friday. A child in Lgiel has limited options as to what he's going to spend his time doing over the weekend. Whereas in Belfast the opportunities/distractions are wide and varied. So the child in Lgiel spends all wknd with a hurl in his/her hand, child in Belfast might play a bit but he/she has so many other options. This is an obvious point but I think we need to recognise that the challenge of underage coaching in Belfast is more difficult because of this. It might not be the quality of the coaching that needs to improve we need to think outside the box here I think and try something different. Unfortunately I don't know what the answer is!

getevennotcross

Quote from: cfclg on September 05, 2015, 10:17:54 PM
I don't think we can compare what goes on in Belfast at underage with what happens in NA. They are two completely different dynamics for young lads/ladies growing up. For example, schools over on a Friday. A child in Lgiel has limited options as to what he's going to spend his time doing over the weekend. Whereas in Belfast the opportunities/distractions are wide and varied. So the child in Lgiel spends all wknd with a hurl in his/her hand, child in Belfast might play a bit but he/she has so many other options. This is an obvious point but I think we need to recognise that the challenge of underage coaching in Belfast is more difficult because of this. It might not be the quality of the coaching that needs to improve we need to think outside the box here I think and try something different. Unfortunately I don't know what the answer is!
[/quot] probably the best and imost ntelligent appreciation of a historical poiblem we face with young people in the city in terms of GAA and not just hurling.

City kids have many alternative options and distractions which in many cases are unhealthy. Againt this background you can only admire the commitment, resilience and desire of NA hurling clubsl. This is the very essence of their greater standing, style and achievements on the hurling front. Clearly this is what seperates SA hurling and NA, dedication, focus and commited resource to the hurling code.

getevennotcross

probably the best and most intelligent appreciation of a historical problem we face with young people in the city, in terms of GAA and not just hurling.

City kids have many alternative options and distractions which in many cases are unhealthy. Against this background you can only admire the commitment, resilience and desire of NA hurling clubs. This is the very essence of their greater standing, style and achievements on the hurling front. Clearly this is what separates SA hurling and NA, dedication, focus and committed resource to the hurling code.

Good luck to the Tribesmen today, probably their best chance today of turning Kilkenny over.  Keys, wallet, tickets, soup & sandwiches - all check, I'm off.

Seamroga in exile

What a machine Kilkenny are. Less than one hundred thousand of a population and rattling out all Irelands as if there's no tomorrow. Isn't it amazing what belief and camaraderie can bring?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

getevennotcross

It seems physicality and in your face confrontational hurling is not enough to beat Kilkenny.  Tipp, Cork, Limerick, Clare and Galway have all tried and continue to fail.  Certainly thought Galway in the first half were savage intense but lost their way early in 2nd half.  Credit where credit is due, Cody is clearly an exceptional man.  Got the first part of my double up with Galway minors, but Joe , Johnny, Iarla and Co, let me down on the 2nd leg.  Well maybe next year?

Seamroga in exile

And they all keep narrowing the field. Year in, year out. Hard to beat a couple of good old fashioned corner forwards hugging the line.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 05, 2015, 10:30:43 AM

I've seen countless (city) teams win all in front of them at every age group - and all but a few drop off before senior grade.
They were well coached - they had success - and still never made it.

And that's even after the ones that dropped off because of our original too many clubs issue!

btdtgtt,

I don't think you should confuse winning underage titles to being necessarily coached well, plus teams used to winning sometimes struggle to make the leap into adult hurling when winning isn't just as easy, not to mention all the other distractions.

btdtgtt

Quote from: cfclg on September 05, 2015, 10:17:54 PM

+1

Kilkenny eh?
I guess the young lads down there have no problems being motivated to commit to hurling!
Lets hope "next year" for Waterford!

Agree fully JC - but don't think underage success in the City wasn't from good coaching either. Much of it was - and is.

We're all kind of getting at the same point - the reasons behind City drop-off is many issues - but the level of coaching is not the main one.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Kilkenny are a machine, they won the all ireland without being really tested in any of the matches they played. They just keep churning them out over and over.

A joy to watch them play. Felt sorry for Galway fans more so yday
hurl like f**k boi!