Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Antrim

Got the lamas fair over with nearly.....wer back to training tonight....alot of boys will need to run the gravy out!!

was chating to ones over the fair bout best format for our championship...a few ideas suggested. Personally i think championship should be open draw knockout - wot ever chance any of us have of beating one of the big 3, is in a one off game...

Dunloy played portaferry in a friendly on sunday.....won handy enough

NAG

Here Dunloy looked impressive enough in beating Portaferry.

Loughgiel down videoing Cushendall again and have already covered Dunloy twice this year already, a bit of thorough work going on down there!

milltown row

were the ports poor? we play them this wed night challenge game. think they are getting ready for their championship. portaferry were strong at the start of the year

NAG

Dont think they are as strong as previous year, heard Dunloy held them pretty much scoreless. Dunloy still missing a couple and should get stronger think they will need to, to beat cushendall.

Portaferry dont have Paul Braniff this year so do struggle for scores.

North Antrim

Cushendall beat Rossa 4-10 to 0-11 in minor semi final to set up a final with Loughgiel. St Brendans (amalgamation outfit) forfeited the other semi final because they cudnt field ateam due to having 7 players suspended from their 1/4 final win over the Johnnies!!! Supposely a massive row broke out at theend with players, subs and supporters involved......ref Conor Cunning stood back and noted numbers of the players involved.......

NAG

North Antrim

Conor Cunning doesnt referee!

Think it was his brother Colm and dont think there was anything wrong with what he did players cant expect to get involved in a full scale brawl and expect to have no sanctions against them. Disappointing for the St Brendans amalgamation but when they had already won the game they should have held their discipline.

theskull1

Quote from: NAG on August 29, 2007, 08:47:33 AM
North Antrim

Conor Cunning doesnt referee!

Think it was his brother Colm and dont think there was anything wrong with what he did players cant expect to get involved in a full scale brawl and expect to have no sanctions against them. Disappointing for the St Brendans amalgamation but when they had already won the game they should have held their discipline.

If the same thing happened in croke park it would be fair enough, but as it doesn't, I'm sure that the st brendans side feel aggrieved at the size of the punishment. Has anybody heard of a higher number of suspensions from one side arising from one incident? BTW Colm is a good ref and more importantly a good lad to boot, but I do think he's been too officious on this occasion
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG

Skull

I am intrigued to know what he should have done in that situation?

Does he write up his report and not mention any of the row? So when reports get back to Antrim CC about the fight and its not in his report what does he say.

I have to say that he did the right thing just because 7 players got suspended shows the severity of the fight and means that it warranted reporting. Also becuase the ref didnt do the same thing in croke park is more a reflection on him than anyone else.

aontroim

St. John's also had a similar number of suspensions - albeit they lost the game.

Give-it-Timber

Have to totally agree NAG, not sure of the full details......but if what North Antrim said is right, that he stood back and noted numbers then i believe he got it right.

This sort of behaviour cant be tolerated, especially at Underage level. if 7 or more needed to be suspended then so be it.  people want to fight then they should suffer the consequences.

what i do think though is that most of the temper leading to these type of fights is mainly coming from the supporters. nearly every match you watch, from under 12 to senior the ref gets dogs abuse from supporters of at least one side if not both thinking their team is being hard done by, thus leading to players thinking the same and getting frustrated

referees are far from good in this county but until we realise that this wont get any better until they are tolerated, when this happens maybe more x-players or young people will take up refereeing.

milltown row

yeah thinking of getting into refereeing myself, but have to be carefull what you say about refereeing on this site now as the adminn seem to be cracking down if you say the wrong thing.

whats is the offical word on the sending offs at Cusendall were they straight reds? or two yellows for both players. Hearing mc faul will be available for the Ballycastle game

NAG

I saw with my own eyes that it was two straight reds!

Ballycastle will be cross about this one, cant believe the ref has come under pressure to change his report.

milltown row

knowing the referee well, if he showed two reds he'll stick with it

Balboa

North Antrim my old squire, when is the U-21 final on ? I heard talk it was on this Fri but obviously that is horses*it as youse are playing the Johhnies......

milltown row

what sort of team are you bringing down to the sevens this Saturday Balboa? will tosh be going and are you taking it seriously?

we played the junior one for years and never took it serious, out first and first to the food and bar