Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Not enough interested adults in this County. We're short on

Coaches
Administrators
Referees
Supporters

Why criticise those who are trying their best volunteering and knowing that their plans/ideas will more than likely fail/not reach expectations because not enough interested adults are prepared to be part of making it happen?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 30, 2015, 10:40:08 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 30, 2015, 09:25:17 AM
Would that current Antrim team not have a pretty young age profile?

Graffan and McManus probably the oldest on it and they wouldn't be in their 30's yet, would they?

I get your point JC - but I'm long past looking at age profiles as some sort of success.

Clare won an All-Ireland with a young team - inter county hurling is about the here and now - it's not about the non-existent promise of the future.
What I mean is the best team should be on the pitch - age is irrelevant.
We've had young teams before - the notion that means bright time ahead when they mature is totally unfounded as there's no guarantee of that. Also - look around at other inter-county teams - they are no older than ours - it's a young man's game now.

By the sounds of things we gave a good account of ourselves which I was glad to hear. But I've lost alot of interest this year as things are just so repetitive. Same fixtures same opposition year in year out. A good year and a poor year really aren't much different. And our club scene held to ransom all the while for this procession.

I was at the Waterford Galway game - ruined somewhat by the wind. Canning can't carry that Galway side alone - and Waterford have a wealth of underage talent coming through now. They're not ready to compete with the big boys but I don't think they'll ever fall out of the reckoning too far - like everyone thought they would when the Flynn McGrath Hartley Browne era subsidied. There's a reason for that. Also notable the huge amount of kids at the game - none of them asked their age - and buses run by the county board pick up at various clubs to ferry them to and from the game. This takes the onus off the club to get kids to games - the county generate their own support as such and work with the clubs to do it. Clubs administrators have enough on their plate so they buy into this and the county get more noise at their games and kids interested - win win all round.

Even that phenomenally talented Clare team relied on Pat Donnellan, Bugler and Fergal Lynch to get them over the line in tough games. Those lads have been in and around not so successful Clare teams for the better part of a decade up to this point and there's a reason wee Davy had them about the team.
The Antrim team of the late 80's spent many's a year in the lower echelons of hurling before garnering the experience and mental hardness to compete and sustain themselves in Div1 of the hurling leagues and those formative years IMO are where the current Antrim team are now.

Plus where would you in all seriousness expect Antrim to be in the hurling ladder, given playing population, number of clubs, etc, etc, being realistic?

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: hurlingstick on March 30, 2015, 10:55:43 AM

Graffan and McManus probably the oldest on it and they wouldn't be in their 30's yet, would they?

I get your point JC - but I'm long past looking at age profiles as some sort of success.

Clare won an All-Ireland with a young team - inter county hurling is about the here and now - it's not about the non-existent promise of the future.
We've had young teams before - the notion that means bright time ahead when they mature is totally unfounded as there's no guarantee of that. Also - look around at other inter-county teams - they are no older than ours - it's a young man's game now.

By the sounds of things we gave a good account of ourselves which I was glad to hear. But I've lost alot of interest this year as things are just so repetitive. Same fixtures same opposition year in year out. A good year and a poor year really aren't much different. And our club scene held to ransom all the while for this procession.

I was at the Waterford Galway game - ruined somewhat by the wind. Canning can't carry that Galway side alone - and Waterford have a wealth of underage talent coming through now. They're not ready to compete with the big boys but I don't think they'll ever fall out of the reckoning too far - like everyone thought they would when the Flynn McGrath Hartley Browne era subsidied. There's a reason for that. Also notable the huge amount of kids at the game - none of them asked their age - and buses run by the county board pick up at various clubs to ferry them to and from the game. This takes the onus off the club to get kids to games - the county generate their own support as such and work with the clubs to do it. Clubs administrators have enough on their plate so they buy into this and the county get more noise at their games and kids interested - win win all round.

Great to hear a genuine hurling fan on here instead of some of the mouthpieces who only shit stir and play the blame game.
+1
One the best post in weeks
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on March 30, 2015, 11:22:25 AM

Even that phenomenally talented Clare team relied on Pat Donnellan, Bugler and Fergal Lynch to get them over the line in tough games. Those lads have been in and around not so successful Clare teams for the better part of a decade up to this point and there's a reason wee Davy had them about the team.
The Antrim team of the late 80's spent many's a year in the lower echelons of hurling before garnering the experience and mental hardness to compete and sustain themselves in Div1 of the hurling leagues and those formative years IMO are where the current Antrim team are now.

Plus where would you in all seriousness expect Antrim to be in the hurling ladder, given playing population, number of clubs, etc, etc, being realistic?

I suppose that's the big question - maybe we need to lower our expectations but I yearn for the day's out of yester-year!
I'd be more concerned that the county scebe (not just Antrim) is all powerful and dominant to the detriment of the club scene. Thats never been what the GAA is abotu, and it undermines the very strength that is the GAA.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on March 29, 2015, 05:14:33 PM
Loughgiel 1-18 dunloy 0-04. Final score Mcauley cup final.

never got to the game but thank god i didnt go. The brother was at it and said it was a load of rubbish. Gale force wind in the first half and Lgiel used it well to get the scores, second half it died. Added to the cold and us sending a second team out he left early with his wains not even wanting to leave the car due to the cold lol.

Its usefull to get people some game time i suppose.
hurl like f**k boi!

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 30, 2015, 11:50:39 AM

never got to the game but thank god i didnt go. The brother was at it and said it was a load of rubbish. Gale force wind in the first half and Lgiel used it well to get the scores, second half it died. Added to the cold and us sending a second team out he left early with his wains not even wanting to leave the car due to the cold lol.

Jesus it was stormy but fair dues to LG the tanked us fair and square
Eddie was flying, at least all that county training has him in good form for club hurling
We dobbin looked good to
Our boys never showed up

theskull1

Quote from: thedog 83 on March 29, 2015, 05:20:07 PM
Has anybody's U16 club coaches complaining about the lack of league fixtures? League starts on Easter Monday and no hint of fixtures on the horizon!!!

U16 fixtures now up on county website.

Sleeping giant

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 30, 2015, 01:02:50 PM

Eddie was flying, at least all that county training has him in good form for club hurling
We dobbin looked good to
Our boys never showed up
I wouldn't have thought it was dunloys 2nd team. Shorty and woody missing alright.  I counted 4 maybe 5 missing.  We ourselves had 5 missing.   Wouldn't read much into it. Least we turned up and played in it :). See the towns new Jerseys on the Twitter. Championship winning years on display. Cool enough.  Surely humpy will get the best out of this squad of players.
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Sleeping giant on March 30, 2015, 01:48:15 PM

We dobbin looked good to
Our boys never showed up
I wouldn't have thought it was dunloys 2nd team. Shorty and woody missing alright.  I counted 4 maybe 5 missing.  We ourselves had 5 missing.   Wouldn't read much into it. Least we turned up and played in it :). See the towns new Jerseys on the Twitter. Championship winning years on display. Cool enough.  Surely humpy will get the best out of this squad of players.
I counted 8 players that didn't start in last championship match and you guys at full strength bar watson so let's get our facts right
Still a bit disappointing from our perspective

Seamroga in exile

Our team was:
Dd
T. Coyle
neil Mcgarry
ronan Mccloskey
Ding
tony Mccloskey
damon
Barney
duck
Eddie Mccloskey
skinner
Seamy dobbin
Dan Mccloskey
joey Scullion
james mcnaughton
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Sleeping giant

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on March 30, 2015, 03:36:24 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on March 30, 2015, 01:48:15 PM

We dobbin looked good to
Our boys never showed up
I counted 8 players that didn't start in last championship match and you guys at full strength bar watson so let's get our facts right
Still a bit disappointing from our perspective
stop with the facts. Lol.  It's hardly the championship final.  We were missing 5 lads that would be starting or very close to starting.  Wasn't having a go. But it wasn't your 2nd team.  That's all.   Outside woody,shorty,dowds and Nicky mc keague. Who else would make your team that wasn't there?  Honest question
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

theskull1

Unfortunately Dunloys panel isn't anywhere near as strong as Loughgiels. No shock there.

Our fringe players have plenty of work to do getting up to the right standard for senior club. A strong senior team needs 20/21 solid options. Hopefully Sunday was a hard lesson that we're willing to learn from.

Na Glinntí Glasa

i see bunga had to go off after 7mins with a hamstring injury. Hes been plagued with that which is a pity if its happened again. Losing one of our stronger players before the seasons started isnt great.
hurl like f**k boi!

north aontroim gael

Can any of the Dunloy posters name your name who started? Thanks

Looking forward to the league games next weekend. I see nearly all games are set to start at the one time (I know ours is changed to Sat). If the County/Clubs wanted to bring in a few extra quid they could stagger the start times. I'd happily go and watch Dunloy / Cushendall etc in the afternoon then go and watch our boys in the evening.

btdtgtt

MR2 / HS

How will the Naomh Gall Rossa game be affected by the county bog-ballers?
Change of time or date or dare I say players unavailable?