Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

We're all different parishes although ourselves and Portaferry have the same PP.
There'd be youngsters living and going to school in Portaferry who'd come and play for us or Ballycran, normally due to family allegiances or what not and similarly there's a few youngsters in the Ballygalget primary school who play for Portaferry, probably for the same reasons.

As for the rivalry, its in the healthy phase at the minute and the win by Portaferry will spur ourselves and Ballycran in particular on who really have flattered to deceive come championship with a lack a real cutting edge in their forwards and TBH when I saw the fullforward line they put out in the championship I wondered HTF did they win the Antrim league! I think there's a bit of a fall out going on there and new management being sought if what I was told is correct.

It doesn't take much to push the relationships into the toxic phase either though!

The emergence of the two city clubs in Bredagh and Carryduff has really stirred the underage structures within all three Ards clubs, so that's a good thing IMO.

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on January 12, 2015, 09:57:15 AM
We're all different parishes although ourselves and Portaferry have the same PP.
There'd be youngsters living and going to school in Portaferry who'd come and play for us or Ballycran, normally due to family allegiances or what not and similarly there's a few youngsters in the Ballygalget primary school who play for Portaferry, probably for the same reasons.

As for the rivalry, its in the healthy phase at the minute and the win by Portaferry will spur ourselves and Ballycran in particular on who really have flattered to deceive come championship with a lack a real cutting edge in their forwards and TBH when I saw the fullforward line they put out in the championship I wondered HTF did they win the Antrim league! I think there's a bit of a fall out going on there and new management being sought if what I was told is correct.

It doesn't take much to push the relationships into the toxic phase either though!

The emergence of the two city clubs in Bredagh and Carryduff has really stirred the underage structures within all three Ards clubs, so that's a good thing IMO.

Do they all play in Antrim or Down leagues?

Do you think they will bring them through to senior?

theskull1

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 12, 2015, 11:52:37 AM

No ...not in the right numbers.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Bredagh play in the Antrim leagues as well as field a reserve team in the Down leagues.

I could stand corrected on this but Carryduff have been refused entry into the Antrim leagues, not by Antrim but by Down CB, the same thing may have happened to Ballyvarley who played in Antrim last year.

It seems to be the CB's are pushing this Táin league in a big way, not sure of how successful it was last year, but when there was stuff on the Ulster Council web site about it, there looked to be quite a few unplayed games to be re-fixed.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on January 12, 2015, 12:40:42 PM

Bredagh play in the Antrim leagues as well as field a reserve team in the Down leagues.

I could stand corrected on this but Carryduff have been refused entry into the Antrim leagues, not by Antrim but by Down CB, the same thing may have happened to Ballyvarley who played in Antrim last year.

It seems to be the CB's are pushing this Táin league in a big way, not sure of how successful it was last year, but when there was stuff on the Ulster Council web site about it, there looked to be quite a few unplayed games to be re-fixed.
A competition that isn't a bad idea but the geographical constraints for boys in Donegal or Strabane playing a team in Louth or even Down are unattractive no doubt.

Na Glinntí Glasa

ive always found the ulster league a useful thing for senior teams. the only problem is the availability of pitches at this time of year. alot of clubs don't want to have their pitches torn up this early in the season. ours is only recovering from the flooding it got last august time after being re-drained.
hurl like f**k boi!

themac_23

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 12, 2015, 02:43:35 PM
ive always found the ulster league a useful thing for senior teams. the only problem is the availability of pitches at this time of year. alot of clubs don't want to have their pitches torn up this early in the season. ours is only recovering from the flooding it got last august time after being re-drained.

i always found the UHL a really good idea, meant clubs didn't have to organise challenge games, gave them games against teams of their own level with a proper neutral referee and gave teams a good platform for the league. I always remember a manager saying to me a game is as good as 20 training sessions and its something that has always stuck with me, i think too many managers and coaches now nearly see challenge games as an inconvenience to their pre season. I know especially in football this is what seen a lot of teams pull out of UL

NAG1

Quote from: themac_23 on January 12, 2015, 02:59:16 PM

i always found the UHL a really good idea, meant clubs didn't have to organise challenge games, gave them games against teams of their own level with a proper neutral referee and gave teams a good platform for the league. I always remember a manager saying to me a game is as good as 20 training sessions and its something that has always stuck with me, i think too many managers and coaches now nearly see challenge games as an inconvenience to their pre season. I know especially in football this is what seen a lot of teams pull out of UL

Football and hurling two different cases here, footballers could pretty much play in any conditions and doesnt really make that big a difference.

Hurlers do need the weather and the pitches to be in better shape to get anything out of any league, not often this was the case for the UHL.

Its a nice idea on paper but in reality it doesnt work really.

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on January 12, 2015, 03:08:54 PM

Football and hurling two different cases here, footballers could pretty much play in any conditions and doesnt really make that big a difference.

Hurlers do need the weather and the pitches to be in better shape to get anything out of any league, not often this was the case for the UHL.

That was the early days of the Tain league and in that guise it worked well enough as a bit of a preseason run out, but then that changed to a full blown league meant to replace the domestic leagues in Down, Armagh, even Derry I presume as well as the rest.
It was to be the only show in town and this time last year there was to be no adult league hurling at all in Down, it was Antrim leagues for the Ards clubs and Bredagh and Táin league for everyone else. After a bit of a kick up that changed to having leagues and various smallish cup competitions.
Make no mistake about it, the Ulster council are going to sell this Táin league as a success no matter what even if teams are dropping out of it.
Certainly Carryduff's and Ballyvarleys hands are tied by the full time secretary in Down doing the bidding of his pay masters.

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on January 12, 2015, 03:52:04 PM

That was the early days of the Tain league and in that guise it worked well enough as a bit of a preseason run out, but then that changed to a full blown league meant to replace the domestic leagues in Down, Armagh, even Derry I presume as well as the rest.
It was to be the only show in town and this time last year there was to be no adult league hurling at all in Down, it was Antrim leagues for the Ards clubs and Bredagh and Táin league for everyone else. After a bit of a kick up that changed to having leagues and various smallish cup competitions.
Make no mistake about it, the Ulster council are going to sell this Táin league as a success no matter what even if teams are dropping out of it.
Certainly Carryduff's and Ballyvarleys hands are tied by the full time secretary in Down doing the bidding of his pay masters.

Of course they have to sell it as a success, name me one other Ulster inspired innovation for hurling?

Seamroga in exile

I just heard that portaferry have to play their semi in Thurles. Unbelievable!
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on January 12, 2015, 04:00:32 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on January 12, 2015, 03:52:04 PM

Of course they have to sell it as a success, name me one other Ulster inspired innovation for hurling?

The Ulster championship, no wait!  ::)

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on January 12, 2015, 04:01:52 PM
I just heard that portaferry have to play their semi in Thurles. Unbelievable!

Second class citizens I'm afraid.
Hurling development at its best.

Na Glinntí Glasa

both games are set for thurles.

total joke
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

If the powers that be are putting up a few grand to cover the extra travel and accommodation costs of the team, I be happy enough with that arrangement. If not then ......
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

getevennotcross

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 12, 2015, 05:16:27 PM
both games are set for thurles.

total joke
Some Antrim referees would be delighted to get that fixture. Probably 7 - 8 times further than Owenbeg, Derry.  Bloody marvellous. ManinBlackandGreen or those if his ilk would jump at it. Horrendous decision for Portaferry though, diabolical.