Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeping giant

North Antrim team V south antrim team.  Play a final and win the all Ireland every year. Lol
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Sleeping giant

Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2014, 01:15:38 PM
Quote from: ardtole on August 22, 2014, 01:12:06 PM
Amalgamating three clubs in Carlow to form Mt Leinster has proved successful, id imagine there was plenty of opposition to the amalgamation when it was first proposed.
Successful for who? The players who played on the team?
Fcuk everyone else?
agreed!!!   And I don't care what anyone says. Them lads might have showed a lot of fight against us and fair play. But you can't beat winning with lads you've grown up with and slogged it out with for years on end!!  Pride in your parish or town and the jersey.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 22, 2014, 01:14:19 PM
Who will yis amalgamate with then? ::)

Milltown, it's got nothing to do with the 'bigger' teams not wanting it, it's just a simple fact that amalgamating just because you're not winning championships is the biggest pile of ballix.
If your club has enough players to field a team, you field a fcukin team!!

I mentioned in my original post that a club would be it's own club, that it would be a single code club without the distractions of having to organise football games/training or the like, which is a distraction. Obviously this would initially cause hassle. Again I've said it won't happen. I'm happy to be a Galls man, and would like nothing more to see us regularly matching the NA teams in Championship, a bit like the way Rossa did
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: Sleeping giant on August 22, 2014, 01:19:43 PM
But you can't beat winning with lads you've grown up with and slogged it out with for years on end!!  Pride in your parish or town and the jersey.

+1 (maybe the parish/town bit is a difficult one for the slickers)

This whole notion that MLR winning leinster championships is the true measure of success is so blinkered and short termed. Over time, increasing participation levels especially at senior level would be a measure of success that I would value more. In the heartlands down south, every hole in the hedge has a team an most would field at least 3 senior teams (more clubs and bigger player numbers means a better pick of IC standard). Up here in a lot of clubs there appears to be a prevailing attitude with young lads of "I'll give it a go for a year or two and see if I can make it onto the senior team and if it doesnt work it that's me finished."
That needs to change. Whats wrong with playing reserve hurling for your club for 10 years at Senior? Hurling is a great game to play, so why not continue to enjoy playing it.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on August 22, 2014, 01:39:45 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on August 22, 2014, 01:19:43 PM
But you can't beat winning with lads you've grown up with and slogged it out with for years on end!!  Pride in your parish or town and the jersey.

+1 (maybe the parish/town bit is a difficult one for the slickers)

This whole notion that MLR winning leinster championships is the true measure of success is so blinkered and short termed. Over time, increasing participation levels especially at senior level would be a measure of success that I would value more. In the heartlands down south, every hole in the hedge has a team an most would field at least 3 senior teams (more clubs and bigger player numbers means a better pick of IC standard). Up here in a lot of clubs there appears to be a prevailing attitude with young lads of "I'll give it a go for a year or two and see if I can make it onto the senior team and if it doesnt work it that's me finished."
That needs to change. Whats wrong with playing reserve hurling for your club for 10 years at Senior? Hurling is a great game to play, so why not continue to enjoy playing it.

They'd rather play 5 a sides and revel in the 3/4 goals they score and pints afters
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 22, 2014, 01:35:39 PM

Milltown, it's got nothing to do with the 'bigger' teams not wanting it, it's just a simple fact that amalgamating just because you're not winning championships is the biggest pile of ballix.

I mentioned in my original post that a club would be it's own club, that it would be a single code club without the distractions of having to organise football games/training or the like, which is a distraction. Obviously this would initially cause hassle. Again I've said it won't happen. I'm happy to be a Galls man, and would like nothing more to see us regularly matching the NA teams in Championship, a bit like the way Rossa did
yes I no MR2. I club on its own. Is it gonna wait 18 years to play senior. Or take hurlers from different clubs, only way forward is roll up the selves.  The talent is there.  Maybe if this galls football team dies of in the next few years we might see use give it a rattle. 

NAG1

Quote from: Sleeping giant on August 22, 2014, 01:51:36 PM

yes I no MR2. I club on its own. Is it gonna wait 18 years to play senior. Or take hurlers from different clubs, only way forward is roll up the selves.  The talent is there.  Maybe if this galls football team dies of in the next few years we might see use give it a rattle.

Problem with that is once their football team goes on the downward slope with age, so do their best hurlers.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on August 22, 2014, 02:28:05 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on August 22, 2014, 01:51:36 PM

Problem with that is once their football team goes on the downward slope with age, so do their best hurlers.

I know  :( :(

btdtgtt

One of those days when lunch is great reading the board!
Great points all round from the amalgamate vs roll up sleeves debate and dual
Clubs! I always find when so many are in agreement I'm sure the powers that be must think likewise but can they do anything to shape the future?
Great work going on in clubs to address much but can't escape the need for the group of 20 something year olds to adopt hurling as a way of life - and not cry off for easier options. That'll be the test of any progress in the city.

north_antrim_hound

What be considered a good result for the u21 hurlers today
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

themac_23

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on August 23, 2014, 11:44:14 AM
What be considered a good result for the u21 hurlers today

Personally i think if we get within 10 points i think it would be a great showing. Would love to be 'in the game' at half time, would be a real sign of progress from last years meeting.

Seamroga in exile

I'm hearing clooney have a load of injuries after their football tussle with naomh gall. Smart money on the paddies?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

sylvieslynanesnutsack

Have you been sniffing glue SIE?

Sleeping giant

Id back the paddies for an upset

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: sylvieslynanesnutsack on August 23, 2014, 12:28:19 PM
Have you been sniffing glue SIE?
no. I was talking to someone from the Gaels' club.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"