Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Megaman on August 20, 2014, 02:27:02 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 20, 2014, 01:48:08 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on August 20, 2014, 09:28:37 AM
To galvanise the whole league fixtures maybe we're back to using it to seed the championship draw!

Remind me again when that was tried and deemed successful? I genuinely can't remember

Was chatting to a Bredagh man a few months back (a blow in like the rest of them). He said the kids/parents treated the place like a kids club and once they became big boys they just stopped doing 'that sort of stuff'. Bredaghs great U16/minor team from a couple of years ago has virtually none of that team still hurling, so he told me.

1999 league was very good, every game meaning something, irrespective of the final outcome its was a good league / championship set-up.

You obviously dont think so as you lost the final   ???

What do you suggest we do ref the leagues as they have been a joke for some time now, with the championship not far behind.

Give it purpose or something worthwhile, a fecking cash bonus, or tickets for the players for an All Ireland final. clubs could then raffle them off and make more money for the club. Any ideas are better than none Megaman? what's your's?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Megaman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 20, 2014, 04:06:55 PM
To galvanise the whole league fixtures maybe we're back to using it to seed the championship draw!

Remind me again when that was tried and deemed successful? I genuinely can't remember

Was chatting to a Bredagh man a few months back (a blow in like the rest of them). He said the kids/parents treated the place like a kids club and once they became big boys they just stopped doing 'that sort of stuff'. Bredaghs great U16/minor team from a couple of years ago has virtually none of that team still hurling, so he told me.

1999 league was very good, every game meaning something, irrespective of the final outcome its was a good league / championship set-up.

What do you suggest we do ref the leagues as they have been a joke for some time now, with the championship not far behind.

Give it purpose or something worthwhile, a fecking cash bonus, or tickets for the players for an All Ireland final. clubs could then raffle them off and make more money for the club. Any ideas are better than none Megaman? what's your's?

Totally agree, which is why i said the league / championship format is very good format.

Others would be as you have said, cash bonus etc.

i also agree that any ideas are better than none which is why i asked the question!!

btdtgtt

I say "back to" because it's an argument I have put forward several times - not that the actual idea has ever been tried.

Personally I think the top2 in div1 should be straight to a championship semi final.
The 3rd & 4th are in separate 1/4 finals where winners meet these top2 - and the rest play knockout to meet the 3/4 place teams with winners in turn facing 1st & 2nd from league in semis.
In this context I think league become a big deal and championship has some great match ups in every round.

Bredagh & carryduff will always in terms if hurling be a group of similar parents who's children play together rather than having the sustained tradition a GAA club.

Na Glinntí Glasa

it was a load of tosh. we lost one game that year, the final. it was a daft proposal as it meant teams outside the top 4 with no hope of making it didnt give a damn about it, no more so that they do today.

the league is what its meant to be, for blooding new players, trying line ups out and getting match practice for what actually counts - the antrim hurling championship. thats all that means anything.

this isnt soccer and the premier league where winning it means a gateway to riches. Its a warm up session to the main event that is the SHC.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 21, 2014, 08:37:47 AM

it was a load of tosh. we lost one game that year, the final. it was a daft proposal as it meant teams outside the top 4 with no hope of making it didnt give a damn about it, no more so that they do today.

the league is what its meant to be, for blooding new players, trying line ups out and getting match practice for what actually counts - the antrim hurling championship. thats all that means anything.

this isnt soccer and the premier league where winning it means a gateway to riches. Its a warm up session to the main event that is the SHC.

Oh the play off years? We actually did benefit from those years, the senior team was in Div one and we started building a second team in div 4 which actually made it to div 2 because of the playoff, we won div 4 clean and came 4th in div3 and beat Cloughmills in the div 3 final in Ballycastle.

Think the starred games came after that 2004 maybe, it didn't work either, a fresh approach is required, its ok if you are an established team in Div 1 and can prepare that way DR, but if like us and the other teams trying to stay up its important to our development as a hurling team to be playing the big boys every year, only then can we make inroads to the SHC. as luck would have it we are in a position that we can get to a final, just the small matter of getting past Clooney and whoever in the other game!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

That's true.
But to develop our clubs & county we need to change this.
It's not good enough that all that matters is potentially one game.
A whole season hurling - about one game?
Not good enough.
We have to find a way of creating a greater number meaningful games.

sylvieslynanesnutsack

The Dunloy v Ballycastle game will be explosive for that very reason. For one of them, their entire season will start and end with that one game. Good luck to whoever is refereeing that game  ;) :o ...........lol

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sylvieslynanesnutsack on August 21, 2014, 06:06:52 PM
The Dunloy v Ballycastle game will be explosive for that very reason. For one of them, their entire season will start and end with that one game. Good luck to whoever is refereeing that game  ;) :o ...........lol

You catch on quick, championship games are knockout, are you new to hurling?

NAG1

Quote from: sylvieslynanesnutsack on August 21, 2014, 06:06:52 PM

I would say you would have to go back a long way to find any bad blood between Dunloy and Ballycastle, it will competitive and championship hurling but there never appears to be the level of needle or animosity that are in some of the other North Antrim matches.

Should be safe enough MR2  ;)

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: btdtgtt on August 21, 2014, 04:59:15 PM

That's true.
Not good enough.

other counties have the back door system and relegation play offs to the senior/intermediate championship each season but they have more teams to work with.

this years is probably the most we have had enter it in quite some time but that needs to continue. With respect, the weaker clubs outside of the top 4, need to be brought up a bit. Having all these teams in Div 1 will improve them all. i seen sarsfields play in Dunloy this year and was impressed with them. they didnt look out of their depth at all. if teams like that can maintain their status and work their underage set up at the same time to continue a production of a panel then it will help.

i would love to see a championship where you have 6 potential winners rather than 1 or 2.
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

DR if you believe the talk, then there are 5 potential winners of this championship!

Milltown Row2

The best team usually wins, the one that puts in the most effort. If we get our best 15 playing really well, then on the day we'd be a match for most teams.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 22, 2014, 08:52:15 AM

That's true.
Not good enough.

other counties have the back door system and relegation play offs to the senior/intermediate championship each season but they have more teams to work with.

this years is probably the most we have had enter it in quite some time but that needs to continue. With respect, the weaker clubs outside of the top 4, need to be brought up a bit. Having all these teams in Div 1 will improve them all. i seen sarsfields play in Dunloy this year and was impressed with them. they didnt look out of their depth at all. if teams like that can maintain their status and work their underage set up at the same time to continue a production of a panel then it will help.

i would love to see a championship where you have 6 potential winners rather than 1 or 2.

Ironic in that the big NA teams are the ones pushed for smaller division 1 and the split so they just play each other more.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on August 22, 2014, 10:40:46 AM

That's true.
Not good enough.

Ironic in that the big NA teams are the ones pushed for smaller division 1 and the split so they just play each other more.

Well regardless of how they treated it after the split.

What is the benefit of them playing the SA teams? I have said it before, it is up to the Belfast teams, to start and take the thing seriously and get their levels up rather than bitching and whining about the NA teams.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on August 22, 2014, 10:46:03 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on August 22, 2014, 10:40:46 AM

That's true.
Not good enough.

Well regardless of how they treated it after the split.

What is the benefit of them playing the SA teams? I have said it before, it is up to the Belfast teams, to start and take the thing seriously and get their levels up rather than bitching and whining about the NA teams.

Correct, there are no if's buts or maybe's its the only thing we (Belfast teams) can do to improve, get our own shit in order and stop worry about getting shafted. The amount of juvenile teams that Belfast has had over the years that had serious potential is criminal, I'd say they are on a par with all the NA clubs over the years in terms of winning championships but the work that needs to be done is the transition from juvenile to senior, that's is where we have failed in terms of development in hurling.

As a idea or a trial (I know it's been done in a way) why don't the Belfast senior clubs have one team after minor. A Belfast Rangers club. Proper affiliated club with a senior and reserve hurling team, It's a hard choice for the likes of Galls, Johnnies, Sarsfields and Rossa but there are some serious hurlers within those teams that if training all year as a club could make a big difference. Pie in the sky stuff as we are too set in our ways and I could never see Rossa and the Johnnies ever getting together. I'd like to have seen how us and Rossa would have faired had we been one club these past 8 years, possibly at least 2 or 3 championships