Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeping giant

Unless am completely of the mark.   wasn't that two St johns men playing for fullen Gaels yesterday   maskey and knocker.  Wondered where those two lads had gone.   very talented hurlers. 
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 16, 2013, 11:18:38 AM
Unless am completely of the mark.   wasn't that two St johns men playing for fullen Gaels yesterday   maskey and knocker.  Wondered where those two lads had gone.   very talented hurlers.

One was alright hadn't hurled against the other, though heard good things about him. Was that win expected?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sleeping giant

Think bookie had them favorites.   knocker was serious hurler.  Maskey wasn't as good.  But could have hurled.  Both hurled on a very talented St johns minor and U21 teams.   John mead, jimmy peoples   another big man Rooney.  None of them anywhere to be seen now.  Which is a pity

NAG1

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 16, 2013, 01:23:55 PM
Think bookie had them favorites.   knocker was serious hurler.  Maskey wasn't as good.  But could have hurled.  Both hurled on a very talented St johns minor and U21 teams.   John mead, jimmy peoples   another big man Rooney.  None of them anywhere to be seen now.  Which is a pity

There is lies the problem, also not knocking the lads and congrats on their win, but IMHO you cannot be classed a serious hurler from underage alone. Yes they maybe had the potential to go and be good club hurlers but to me that was the extent of it.

NAG1

Quote from: hardstation on December 16, 2013, 01:54:23 PM
Was Jim Peoples not their senior hurling captain this year?

Yeah think you could be right, I was referring to the two lads in the original post.

Sleeping giant

Both were major players for a super talented minor team that beat us at minor.  A very good loughgiel team also.  Which now makes up over half our senior team.  So. Yes imo.  They were serious.

NAG1

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 16, 2013, 02:19:25 PM
Both were major players for a super talented minor team that beat us at minor.  A very good loughgiel team also.  Which now makes up over half our senior team.  So. Yes imo.  They were serious.

Serious minors yes

Sleeping giant

Your a serious c**k.   :o

Sleeping giant

Liam knocker.  The one I called a serious hurler.  Also made a few appearances for our super happy seniors back before he left.  At a young age, very talented hurler.  Hard as nails also.  Would be a great asset to johnnies or indeed Antrim if he returned.  Are these lads gone due to work. Or what. 

NAG1

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 16, 2013, 02:32:04 PM
Your a serious c**k.   :o

;) Good lad, you make a sweeping statement on a discussion board, I put my opinion on the subject and that's your come back.

Two lads that played little or no senior hurling here. To me to be a serious hurler that would be a prerequisite.

Sleeping giant

Both played as much senior hurling as say.   Ryan mc Cambridge or a number of your young up and coming hurlers.    doesn't take away from the fact that there extremely talented,  Or serious hurlers.   your being thick now. 

NAG1

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 16, 2013, 02:47:31 PM
Both played as much senior hurling as say.   Ryan mc Cambridge or a number of your young up and coming hurlers.    doesn't take away from the fact that there extremely talented,  Or serious hurlers.   your being thick now.

Not going to drag this out any further you obviously have a different view on what a serious hurler is, I made the distinction of a potentially good / 'talented' minor and serious senior hurler.

We all could name lots of 'talented' underage hurlers for one reason or another never made that step up to being a regular senior hurler.

RefForFee

I fail to comprehend how we can refer to anyone hurler as a 'Serious Hurler' until they play at the top level and represent heir respective counties, should that be at Minor, U21 and Senior. Regrettably, the exiles tend not to make the standard, re-locate and play at a lower level, well below the standard they would play at home.  Then of course we have some 'Serious Hurlers' who have chosen not to play for their county due to all sorts reasons, which is understandable.  In fact, we have quite a number of 'Serious Hurlers' who would grace any county team in the land, but for all sorts of sinister and unconducive reasons, have opted out of playing.  Cant blame some of them though, not of their doing!  ;)  Sambo & son, McManus etc. could well elaborate on this, I doubt if they will though, given it's sensitivity!  ???

"We haven't gone away ya know, well maybe for a little while, but we'll always be back"- just like?

Sleeping giant

We obviously do.  Both lads are still hurling.  Just not around home,  so I don't think they find themselves in the "couldn't step up" bracket.   I was trying to put across that they were very talented hurlers, minor and also any time I came across them at U21 or senior. And are a miss to St Johns and possibly knocker being a miss to Antrim.   out of bed on the wrong side nag?  Or just can't agree with a loughgiel man.

Glensman

Antrim beat Dublin in a challenge at the weekend? Is that right? Anyone at it?

Any word on how training is going?