Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 02, 2013, 04:16:35 PM
Lol   usual on here.  The odd ejit appearing with a big wooden spoon.    how does everyone see other semi going?

Big incentive for Na Piarsaigh to play yourselves again, Portumna not the team they once were having to work real hard to get over the line in their semis and final.

I'm think Na Piarsaigh will win by at least 4/5 points. If yous get past MLR it should be a cracking final, Munster club hurling getting better it seems.

Don't underestimate MLR they remind me of us or how we could have been, (he smirks) but what I'm trying to say is that they have a big fit strong team with a couple of decent hurlers and a will to win which is evident to date, they've been through to Croke before albeit at Intermediate level but know how to work the winter break and prepare (better) for the semi final.

Should be an interesting game, simple thing here is to match their fitness and intensity and your skill, accuracy will win yous through
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sleeping giant

Couldn't agree more with every single bit of that post.   think na p is a far far better team than few years back tho
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Clan Colla

Quote from: btdtgtt on December 02, 2013, 01:24:11 PM
Spot on TommyGun!

No there will not be droves of McCooeys travelling to support - some will, and there will be plenty more supporting from an armchair.

The point is - there will be virtually none who will be shamrock-slapping or hoping they are beaten.

In the name of god when is this mindless slobbering about mc cooeys going to cease. They have forgotten they used to call the glens ones the sheoughies (shuckies).  Coming from a glens family and reared in Loughgiel where we had nothing but respect and affection for the hurling families of Belfast. Any one who remembers Seamus Stout Mc Donnell hurling or Seanie Burrns or Sean Collins would have to agree they were probably the best hurlers who ever came out of Antrim.  Further we are entitled to take pride in their families and communities, who stood against the assaults of a NATO army and their murderous allies for 30 plus years and somehow managed to keep some semblance of hurling going. For my part I like to see the mural in Cushendall reminding me of the fact that the people of Cushendall will stand by their traditions. Dunloy are entitled to massive respect for practically saving hurling at a time when Loughgiel and Ballycastle disappeared from the scene. It is true that Loughgiel  have showed the way and when this phase passes this time, it is a virtual certainty that Dunloy, Rossa, Cushendall or Ballycastle et al., will be hot handfuls for any southern opposition in the future. It is clear that the under 21's are heralding a new spirit in Antrim and Cork might find Ballycastle a bit of a Cauldron when they arrive for their National league match. It would be a start if we stopped pouring enfilade fire up our own trenches.

Remember Henry Joy

Sleeping giant

1). Where was dunloy before 1990? Saved hurling my hole!!!
2). Cork won't find ballycastle any different to casement, or any other pitch unless there is a massive massive change in our county stars mind sets
3). No doubt the troubles hammered hurling.  When we were at our best imo,   ran with the big boys.  And never looked out of place
4). WELCOME BACK KEVIN!!!!! ;D

RefForFee

Quote from: Clan Colla on December 02, 2013, 04:58:16 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on December 02, 2013, 01:24:11 PM
Spot on TommyGun!

No there will not be droves of McCooeys travelling to support - some will, and there will be plenty more supporting from an armchair.

The point is - there will be virtually none who will be shamrock-slapping or hoping they are beaten.

In the name of god when is this mindless slobbering about mc cooeys going to cease. They have forgotten they used to call the glens ones the sheoughies (shuckies).  Coming from a glens family and reared in Loughgiel where we had nothing but respect and affection for the hurling families of Belfast. Any one who remembers Seamus Stout Mc Donnell hurling or Seanie Burrns or Sean Collins would have to agree they were probably the best hurlers who ever came out of Antrim.  Further we are entitled to take pride in their families and communities, who stood against the assaults of a NATO army and their murderous allies for 30 plus years and somehow managed to keep some semblance of hurling going. For my part I like to see the mural in Cushendall reminding me of the fact that the people of Cushendall will stand by their traditions. Dunloy are entitled to massive respect for practically saving hurling at a time when Loughgiel and Ballycastle disappeared from the scene. It is true that Loughgiel  have showed the way and when this phase passes this time, it is a virtual certainty that Dunloy, Rossa, Cushendall or Ballycastle et al., will be hot handfuls for any southern opposition in the future. It is clear that the under 21's are heralding a new spirit in Antrim and Cork might find Ballycastle a bit of a Cauldron when they arrive for their National league match. It would be a start if we stopped pouring enfilade fire up our own trenches.

Remember Henry Joy
Ach you're bo****ks, we are still a fragmented and divided county (football/hurling - North/South Antrim) going nowhere, with maybe the exception of the Shamrocks, who have been to the well more than once!  Giving away your vintage also, considering the ancient history lesson.  Time to move on man, the McCooey teams (what's left of them) are nowhere near the skill, fitness nor physicality levels of north Antrim teams.  As for your prediction of 'virtual certainty' regarding Rossa, the Town, the Dall or Dunloy, I feel you are well off the mark in this regard.  No mention of the Johnnies either, is this a slight hint towards your McCooey bias, hhmmmm!  ::)  The county needs a major clear out at executive level, a 'get with the times' reality check, and an experienced manager and coaching backroom team along with a nucleus of players prepared to die in pursuit of wearing an Antrim jersey.  Regretably Clan Colla, that's where we are!  Despite what other may have you believe with their spin, that is the reality.  The Status Quo is set to continue, the results are not set to improve, the lifting of silverware is still well beyond our reach, our coaching standards with juveniles/minors are not set to improve. Do ya falla? 

The point I am making here, is that we all need to recognise and admit to the division within our county, with no vision for progress with no desire to improve our lot, we are going nowhere.  All the waffle and meaningless rhetoric spewed out here by various contributors, is nothing but idol, vitriolic and spurious crap.  The sad thing though, is they think they are making a valid and meaningful contribution to our ills and progress in Antrim, heaven help us, but how wrong they are.  Such contributors are also failed coaches, mentors, managers and scarred by their own negative experiences of failure, thus leading to the contrived bitterness and lack of honesty and transparency  :(  That makes me angry, because they honestly believe they are making a difference.

FACT:  They are not and are no more likely to roll up their sleeves and do something meaningful or positive  in moving our county forward.
"We haven't gone away ya know, well maybe for a little while, but we'll always be back"- just like?

RefForFee

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 02, 2013, 05:47:33 PM
1). Where was dunloy before 1990? Saved hurling my hole!!!
2). Cork won't find ballycastle any different to casement, or any other pitch unless there is a massive massive change in our county stars mind sets
3). No doubt the troubles hammered hurling.  When we were at our best imo,   ran with the big boys.  And never looked out of place
4). WELCOME BACK KEVIN!!!!! ;D
I applaud your honesty SG, well said.
"We haven't gone away ya know, well maybe for a little while, but we'll always be back"- just like?

btdtgtt

I just trust ref for free's original comment is WUM then - apologies if I gave the comment too much credence!

jftj

Quote from: RefForFee on December 02, 2013, 12:32:36 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on December 02, 2013, 09:57:53 AM
I genuinely have no idea where you are getting this from?

None of the clubs in the city are at a level to be considered rivals of Loughgiel - so they have little to be jealous of. This makes it very easy for them to support the Shamrocks - and thats the only thing I've had any experience of in the past few years.

On the other hand, its understandable the bigger North Antrim clubs will have some resentment and we've seen that on this board. If there's any Shamrock-slapping it'll come from there although I think most of the posters here (and in clubs) acknowledge that Loughgiel are our best side by some distance.

I've really no idea what point you are trying to make - and why you think city-folk would be bitter towards Loughiel.
Its just not true.
Unless you are trying to stir something up and we're back to a few moths of the "WUM" word again - Zzzzzzz.
Ah come on man, do you really subscribe to the fact that the Loughgiel-slapping only resonates from North Antrim club, lets get real here, this is Antrim we are talking about.  Despite south Antrim hurling currently residing in the gutter, do you believe for one second, there will droves of McCooeys travelling to Parnell and possibly Croke to cheer on the Shamrocks?  Be perfectly honest here, will you be there, will many of your fellow club members be there, (assuming you are not a Shams man of course)??  Cant see it to be honest  :(
I wasn,t at lougheils a.i final but watched it on tv.lougheils performance and in particular winkers 10 minutes of brilliance turned out to be  the highlight of my gaa year.If lougheil get there i will defo be in croke next march.

Milltown Row2

I didn't realise Brian Cody is a new :P contributor on this site Bog Ash speaks  again Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Life is sorted, kick out the executive and bring in what? oh right another executive makes sense cause there are hundreds of success stories looking too take over....

The mask always slips, this was actually quicker than before but sure........
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Every genuine hurling fan (and even a few football ones too) should have nothing but respect for the way the Shamrocks go about their business of collecting titles. Amazing to think that some of the current panel have been in ten county finals in a row. Thatsome stat only matched by St Galls.

Sleeping giant

None of them have been in ten in a row,  we got beat in 6 county finals in a row lost a semi. Then won 4 in a row.  Good few of them have been involved in all of the above.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 02, 2013, 08:46:00 PM
None of them have been in ten in a row,  we got beat in 6 county finals in a row lost a semi. Then won 4 in a row.  Good few of them have been involved in all of the above.
Neilly, DD, Winker, Barney, Scully, Johnny, off the top of my head. There might be more.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Minder

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on December 02, 2013, 09:18:13 PM
Neilly, DD, Winker, Barney, Scully, Johnny, off the top of my head. There might be more.

Was Neilly McGarry involved in 2003?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Minder on December 02, 2013, 09:20:51 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on December 02, 2013, 09:18:13 PM

Was Neilly McGarry involved in 2003?
He came on as a sub I think.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

btdtgtt

Those lads will have serious careers to look back on.
Good times for the shamrocks.

Maybe a stupid question but:
Was this current senior team based on juvenile success?
I mean - is it a result of gifted hurlers being born at a similar time - or a bunch of guys who just worked really hard?

I say stupid question as I suspect it's both!