Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

I think it's a bit naieve to think that the names forwarded and chosen by the county board go on reffing ability - who's owed a favour and who's turn it is etc might have at least as much of a bearing!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 26, 2013, 03:40:28 PM
I think it's a bit naieve to think that the names forwarded and chosen by the county board go on reffing ability - who's owed a favour and who's turn it is etc might have at least as much of a bearing!

So to take away that from the County board so people don't assume that's the case, wouldn't it be better that the referee's committee are are given the job? They are in charge of the appointments for 95%of the games as it is without no hassle, and based on what I've stated before would have a better idea as to who is the best man for the job?

I wouldn't know how many games they would get to, with all the other work they do I'd say it would be hard enough to see most games so the logical call would be to leave that with the referee committee. But sure you'd probably say the referees would be doing favours also ffs, can't win

On a side ish note I have to say ( in my opinion) that the percentage of games that have been covered by neutral referees in the All County leagues must be near 99%. More referee's now than ever before, so well done to Paddy, Garret, and Gregory this year.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Hirty Darry on September 25, 2013, 04:32:50 PM

SIE, what are your pre-match thoughts on the SHC final, having seen both teams in action last weekend?

I actually think the appointment of T.R will suit Loughgiel better as they seem to be very disciplined in the tackle and will not concede as many frees as Cushendall will.  Would have preferred someone who would let things go a bit more.

Refs don't win or lose games but their refereeing style can have an impact on the game.
Well, for a start, there will be no landslide 10 point win for either team as some are predicting on here. As ever between these two teams, it'll be tight with no quarter asked or given.

Cushendall have some excellent hurlers. On their day they could beat anyone on the island. McManus, Graffin and P Mc Naughton are the mainstays of the team with Shane the gamer changer. A lot will depend on him  and how he fairs against McCloskey or Ding.

Yous all know about loughgiel. There's no point in me waxing lyrically about them. What I will say is that Clyde and duck have been outstanding all year. The rest seem to be warming up at the right time.

It'll be close, but I'm going to say that cushendall will be hard to beat.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

playwiththewind1st

But the point I am making is the same in any walk of life - if the decision of the 'assessor' is deemed as definitive then there must be an assumption that he is correct. Thats not always the case!

Can I just point out something? Firstly, "assessors" no longer exist, they are now called "advisors" which probably more correctly focuses on their intended role. Secondly, they do not make "decisions", definitive or otherwise. They merely observe a referee & draft up a report on his performance afterwards. The referees committee get a copy, the referee also gets a copy & it is entirely up to him whether he accepts & agrees with what is said in there or not. The advisor's number is on the report & there would be no problem with a referee contacting his advisor to run over the contents.

I will generally always try to speak briefly to a referee after a game & inform him that he was being observed. I can tell you that out of the dozen or so referees that I have watched this season, I have been fairly impressed with the high quality of the officials.

Milltown Row2

That's cleared that up. Forgot about the name change. but that's how it goes. Cheers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

playwiththewind1st

Last time I saw you, I was threatening to go out & assess you pmsl !

Milltown Row2

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on September 26, 2013, 08:16:11 PM
Last time I saw you, I was threatening to go out & assess you pmsl !

A work in progress ;) Sure what else would you be doing? Watching games being involved in games, improving games(hopefully ;D).

It will never replace playing in games that's for sure, I hopefully have some games to play, even the odd reserve game next year if free. But I'll continue with this until some advisor says I'm shite lol

pdiddy

When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

btdtgtt

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on September 26, 2013, 08:08:58 PM
But the point I am making is the same in any walk of life - if the decision of the 'assessor' is deemed as definitive then there must be an assumption that he is correct. Thats not always the case!

Can I just point out something? Firstly, "assessors" no longer exist, they are now called "advisors" which probably more correctly focuses on their intended role. Secondly, they do not make "decisions", definitive or otherwise. They merely observe a referee & draft up a report on his performance afterwards. The referees committee get a copy, the referee also gets a copy & it is entirely up to him whether he accepts & agrees with what is said in there or not. The advisor's number is on the report & there would be no problem with a referee contacting his advisor to run over the contents.

I will generally always try to speak briefly to a referee after a game & inform him that he was being observed. I can tell you that out of the dozen or so referees that I have watched this season, I have been fairly impressed with the high quality of the officials.

Thanks for that!
I can see the process alright but my point is just that if everything was working right then the best ref would get the county final and I don't believe that the case.
Granted tho - no process is ever perfect and people will always have issues!

I suppose the influx of the likes of Aidan Kelly suggests something's going in the right direction.

To repeat - good luck to terry I hope he has no bearing on what turns out to be a great game!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: pdiddy on September 26, 2013, 09:37:11 PM
You're shite  ;D

I'll remember that :o Only kidding.... or am I ? no but seriously I am, or am I? ha :-X

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on September 26, 2013, 06:16:02 PM
Quote from: Hirty Darry on September 25, 2013, 04:32:50 PM

SIE, what are your pre-match thoughts on the SHC final, having seen both teams in action last weekend?

I actually think the appointment of T.R will suit Loughgiel better as they seem to be very disciplined in the tackle and will not concede as many frees as Cushendall will.  Would have preferred someone who would let things go a bit more.

Refs don't win or lose games but their refereeing style can have an impact on the game.
Well, for a start, there will be no landslide 10 point win for either team as some are predicting on here. As ever between these two teams, it'll be tight with no quarter asked or given.

Cushendall have some excellent hurlers. On their day they could beat anyone on the island. McManus, Graffin and P Mc Naughton are the mainstays of the team with Shane the gamer changer. A lot will depend on him  and how he fairs against McCloskey or Ding.

Yous all know about loughgiel. There's no point in me waxing lyrically about them. What I will say is that Clyde and duck have been outstanding all year. The rest seem to be warming up at the right time.

It'll be close, but I'm going to say that cushendall will be hard to beat.  ;)

its prob the game everyone was wanting to see including lgiel! a derby game final can go either way and heads go alot easier on both sides so this game will suit lgiel alot more.

still think it could be a sneaky 1 point win to the dall but only if they improve on how they played against us. if not then lgiel will win and join our good selves and Rossa in doing 4 in a row!  :)
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

Quote from: theskull1 on September 20, 2013, 09:28:20 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on September 20, 2013, 08:06:41 PM
Jesus lads. You all seem to know me so well. I fancy the town to win. No sarcasm and no smugness intended at all. But believe me when I say that hope Loughgiel stuff you.

Who are you kidding? Talking your team down before a big game is all this is and you've been at it for a month now. There's no evidence that Loughgiel aren't the favorites to win the championship this year. Ballycastle are 4th in line. Shocks can and do happen but you've zero reason to think loughgiel shouldn't win tomorrows game handy (championship being championship). Ballycastle are no world beaters

QuoteYous all know about loughgiel. There's no point in me waxing lyrically about them

We all knew about Loughgiel before the Ballycastle game SIE ... but for some reason you told us all you doubted them. Back to waxing lyrically about the opposition again before the game ......... is there any point?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Sleeping giant

Going to go 1-16 2-09 to shamrocks or corse  :D it's going to be one hell of a battle IMO.  This 10 point shit just won't happen.    Unfortunately ;D
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

north aontroim gael

If the conditions are fair I predict Loughgiel to win by around 5 points.  Similar to last year I expect it to be tense and not particuarly free flowing with the lads just doing enough to keep Cushendall at arms length.

If the wind kicks up and the rain is falling then it's anybodys game. 

I remember our minors beating Cushendal in a replayed final in Ballycastle by a point about 5/6 years ago on a rainy & windswept day. If conditions are similar on Sunday, I would gladly take the same result again.

Sleeping giant

I'd take 1-0 right now.  Lol
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.