Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balboa

Quote from: milltown row on July 23, 2007, 12:41:08 PM
in a poor enough game last night we edged out Lamhs by 2 points. game was spoiled by niggling frees and (i hate rereree bashing) a poor referee. thought Lamhs had it won and with ten to go were 4 up and looking good, they then had two men sent off, one harshly the other (Micko) for slabbering.

on this showing we would need to improve for Dunloy, but were still there hopefully Lamhs could do us a turn in their remaining games, as they are still a strong enough outfit

Was at the game Milltown, have to agree it was pretty poor fare, i thought youse would have been better. As bad as the ref was i thought it looked like a hard game to ref, with the constant squealing and dissent everytime a decision went against each team, im sure the vast majority of frees were moved 10 metres forward for dissent. I know its hard to say nothing when you are playing but its a killer when a free is given and is out of scoring range but is then moved forward and is stuck over the bar. We play Dunloy on Sunday and will need a massive effort against them to get close, cant see past Dunloy & Loughguile coming out of the group. Does CJ always play out the pitch even though he was No 13, he didnt get involved in general play that much other than clear up a bit of loose ball.

milltown row

Yeah the game was always going to be tight, big hatred for some reason between both sets of players. If we had have stuck to the game plan then things would have been grand. But right away we started to lose players Andy McLean then Mackers and finally Terry our fullback. We started to unravel and lost out. But we knuckled down and we got back into it. Lamhs wanted to continue to fight.

We've a month off to get ready for Dunloy. Regarding CJ dropping back he's done it once before and it worked well. Yesterday it didn't, can't see us using it again once we went 15 on 15 we ran out winners. To be fare our goalkeeper was outstanding and saved our bacon. Had Micko stuck his chances over the bar then it would be a different story now. But we are still there. And playing yourselves last at home will mean we have something to play for (I hope)

Heading down to watch your game this week, is it at your pitch or Dunloys?

Balboa

We are at home then Loughguile away, so in all reality our game with youse may be meaningless for us. Noticed Johhny Flynn and Kieran Mc Gourty were not playing, are they on holidays? Agree with you about Micko, everytime he got the ball he was going for goal, if he took his pts they would probably have won. He loves kissing the jersey and punching the air after a score so maybe thats why he was going for goal so often. The big No 11 for them, Joe somedody, all he ever wants to do is fight and wrestle if he would get himself into better physical condition it would serve him better, he couldnt get out of his own way. Has Aidso Gallagher dropped down the pecking order? Noticed he didnt start.

milltown row

johhny has packed it in this year work family reasons, McGourty playing in the states will be back next week. aidso and Gaga have been missing the last few games away to Ballygalget and ballycastle when we played well. thought it do no harm with them on the bench. good to have to come on

Arthur_Friend

"We are at home then Loughguile away, so in all reality our game with youse may be meaningless for us."

Tsk, Tsk, have you lost the eye of the Tiger, Mr Balboa?

girt_giggler

This thread has gone very quiet recently. we all been yarning away for weeks/months when there was little or no real hurling action taking place. senior championship has started and everyone disappears off the thread/board!!

Anyway holders Cushendall v Ballycastle tonight. Are the town going in without their minors or whats the story?

Big Bob

I wouldn't think Ballycastle will be playing without their minors - Hippy is one of their best players

girt_giggler

Agreed. Ballycastle seem to be stronger this year than in recent times, and although Cushendall should see it through i can see it being a tight game. hopefully it stays dry

milltown row

havent played Cushendall this year, played the town twice this year. i'd say Ballycastle would need to improve from the game they played against us, Hippy looked very slow for a minor. strong in the air but if there is someone nippy on him he's lost for pace same for Ronan at fullback great under the high ball and strong as a bull but pace will beat him. Cushendall again this year have not played too many league games, must be very annoying being a non county player in Cushendall (although they all seem to be on the team).

will Glenariff cause a shock in Waterfoot this Sunday? Tosh looked off his game the last few time i've seen him for the county and against us what other games on this Sunday? think Rossa play Gortnamona, should not be a problem for Rossa who seem to be getting some form back after a poor start to the season.

not sure where Gorts will do any damage in this game, but their pitch is very tight and it may suit them better than the other teams

Balboa

Quote from: milltown row on July 25, 2007, 11:27:20 AM

not sure where Gorts will do any damage in this game, but their pitch is very tight and it may suit them better than the other teams

Gorts would have better staying in Falls Park, i dont think we ever beat them up there. They were hard to work with, between the boys on scramblers doing laps of the pitch, no nets on the goalposts leading to "contentious" decisions and their supporters kicking the ball back into play when the ball when over the sideline. Ah the memories......

NAG

I have to say cant see the town making any impact against cushendall, if it wasnt in the dall then maybe but not away from home.

Cant see dunloy slipping up on the coast, Glenariffe would need to behave better than they have up to this point or they could get a complete lesson. Do they not realise that the likes of Cushendall Dunloy and loughgiel can take the physical stuff and dish out as well as hurling at the same time. I thought they might have learned this by now but they dont seem to be catching on.

could be a close enough championship with the johnnies improving.

podge

Easy win for the dall tonight over ballycastle.  Thought ballycastle might have put it up to them a bit more and they must be disappointed.  Never looked like winning.

I see in Div 2 Clooney Gaels have had a another good result with a win over Carey.  Fair play to the Gaels- the All Ireland run last year has clearly done them good and they are riding high in Div 2.  Good to see themselves and Tir Na Nog fielding strong hurling teams in the the south west area where traditionally football takes precedence.

They will both fancy their chances in the IHC which must be one of the most competitive chmpionships this year with at least 6 or 7 teams in with a shout.  Teams competing are Sars, St Pauls, Carey, Glenravel and St Teresa in one group and Clooney Gaels, Tir na Nog, Cushendun and Glenarm in the other.  Top two in each group into semis. 

Too close to call.

podge

St Johns won't count for me.  Its down to the dall, dunloy and a very outside chance for l'giel (if they get a roll and there is no evidence that they will).  Think the dall must be strong favorites.

Balboa

Quote from: hardstation on July 25, 2007, 10:50:07 PM
I have seen this on a couple of posts and I have to ask, Are you serious??
St. Johns coming anywhere close??

I agree, why has everyne got a boner for St Johns? In reaching the championship semis last year they drew with a poor Ballycastle team, got tanked by Cushendall and beat Glenariffe in Corrigan. They may have a good under 14 team but im not sure this will translate to Senior Championship success in 2007.

Balboa

Quote from: hardstation on July 25, 2007, 11:03:13 PM
I really really fancy Dunloy this year. It will be close in the 3 horse race but I can see Dunloy taking 'Big Ears' this year.

I have heard Loughguile are doing savage training this year & if they dont do it this year they never will. I fancy Dunloy to win it tis year too.