Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: jdyok on July 22, 2013, 01:15:24 PM
Where else would you suggest for a S Antrim venue?

That statement itself is a sad indictment of the GAA in Belfast.

The options are poor agreed, but why put a square peg in a round hole, if there isnt a suitable venue play it where there is one.
Regardless of where that is.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on July 22, 2013, 12:37:53 PM
What sort of shape is the LD pitch in?

Terrible choice of venue for two Hurling Championship matches.

The pitch is fine, bit hard but in decent nick considering the amount of sun we've been getting, I refereed on it yesterday and my only concern would be the fence around it can be easily jumped!!  ;) Corrigan is in good shape pitch wise would be my choice to play on, or Rossa's

Would you prefer to have the games up North Antrim NAG1?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 22, 2013, 01:29:46 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 22, 2013, 12:37:53 PM
What sort of shape is the LD pitch in?

Terrible choice of venue for two Hurling Championship matches.

The pitch is fine, bit hard but in decent nick considering the amount of sun we've been getting, I refereed on it yesterday and my only concern would be the fence around it can be easily jumped!!  ;) Corrigan is in good shape pitch wise would be my choice to play on, or Rossa's

Would you prefer to have the games up North Antrim NAG1?

MR2 I am making a genuine point, these are the games that clubs and teams prepare for all year and in my opinion taking them to LD is not a good decision. It is not a hurling championship venue, there will be no atmosphere or championship feeling.

Have no objection to playing the games in Belfast as that was the way the draw was, but point is there isnt a suitable venue outside of Casement to host the games. So for that reason alone I would like to see them played where the biggest crowd possible get to see them safely and can generate a championship atmosphere.

Doesnt have to be NA Creggan would be a suitable compromise I would say.

Milltown Row2

You'd get as many into Cushendall's ground as you would Lambs. Atmosphere wise hard to call as they haven't had it before. Creggan pitch is top draw in fairness but Belfast people will come to Lamhs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

The back seat in the upper hogan would be closer to the pitch ffs. No one hanging over the wire to stay with the game as there'll be no need.  It is what it is...but not much thought given to the venue other than it being a SA venue with a bit of parking space and a big fence at the roadside.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Two Hands FFS

Surely Ballymena's new pitch could have been option??

NAG1

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on July 22, 2013, 02:42:45 PM
Surely Ballymena's new pitch could have been option??

Another decent shout, even their old pitch with the decent weather if it holds, generates a good atmosphere with the bank along the side!

manballandall

Some craic yesterday I believe in Lambs Milltown?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manballandall on July 22, 2013, 04:09:01 PM
Some craic yesterday I believe in Lambs Milltown?

Yeah some craic indeed, these things happen ya know, thought both teams missed a hatfull of chances and Lamhs missed more frees so all in all Lamhs just about deserved to win. Be tight now for St Paul's to get back up the league table, we play them next and based on yesterdays result (although we won) they might have a chance, Gorts lost the game in the final minutes to a couple of goals. Seems the new manager has the Midas touch ;)

Leyland

Our county are not the greatest thinkers when setting venues. Decision to play u21 final in Ballymenas old pitch with one side of it a complete bog was some joke taking into account casement, dunloy, loughgiel were all available. Most county's set venues to maximize crowd. Taking that into account most matches involving n antrim teams should be in n antrim. Rossa and st johns are poorly supported in relative term. Cdall, dunloy will bring good support, add in others from n antrim such as lgiel, bcastle, Carey, cdun etc u wud get a big crowd. But fixing it in hannahstown will mean little or no neutrals will attend.

But our county officials don't think that way but will charge silly prices

Milltown Row2

Lets try and get past the venue. SA team drawn out first means its in Belfast. You won't get too many NA teams agreeing to go to Belfast (other than Casement ) Stupid discussion and really won't make a difference to the result....... :o

Jesusjones

If your looking for a South Antrim venue for championship hurling what about Queens place? Sure does it not have a good stand and all the rest?

theskull1

Could the county not try and encourage more clubs to develop their facilities a bit further to be able to host big games? Don't agree totally with Leyland regarding most games should be played in NA. If more clubs had better facilities then there'd be a better spread of big games and I don't think that would be a bad thing. Shame there isn't a bigger number of Belfast Gaels
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jesusjones on July 22, 2013, 05:57:33 PM
If your looking for a South Antrim venue for championship hurling what about Queens place? Sure does it not have a good stand and all the rest?

Top spot

Just Puck It

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 22, 2013, 08:03:06 PM
Quote from: Jesusjones on July 22, 2013, 05:57:33 PM

Top spot

Great set up, good playing surface and more car parking than Casement or Lamh Dearg.  Only downside is that it's too short.  There's only one 65' which marks the midfield I think, which I've heard is posing problems for Queens hosting the Sigerson and Fitzgibbon next year.