Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballybredagh

Johnny, I happen to know a number of the Antrim 89 team very well and all would say that the foundations were laid by Sean. Although I'm Antrim to the core, I'm more acquainted with inter-club relations in Down now and I know for sure that there are a number of people (some would say, quite a few) in the Ards who can't stand the progress being made in Bredagh, not to mention Carryduff and other non-Ards clubs. Then you have the big clown from Carryduff who wished Fullen Gaels the best of luck before we played them in the Junior S/F. Sorry for introducing Down discussion to an Antrim board, but I also recall Ards folk roaring their heads off in support of Ballycastle, when they played Portaferry and Ballycran in Ulster finals in the late 70's early 80's. Don't make it out that everything was rosy in the garden in Down then, it wasn't. The point is, you get nowhere at county level with the damaging rivalries that still persist today, particularly in North Antrim.

Seamroga in exile

Wexford v Antrim, Wexford pk, 3pm  22/6
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 17, 2013, 08:31:23 PM
Wexford v Antrim, Wexford pk, 3pm  22/6

Winnable had it been in Casement, we haven't had too many wins that I can remember in Wexford park. What would be the journey time to Wexford Park?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Did it a couple of years ago....was Sunday mind. Reckon 3hrs from the big smoke would get you there
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on June 17, 2013, 11:58:28 PM
Did it a couple of years ago....was Sunday mind. Reckon 3hrs from the big smoke would get you there

I've dinner at friends for about 8.  Possible then.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Just pay attention at all times  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on June 18, 2013, 12:19:55 AM
Just pay attention at all times  :)

I've learnt my lesson  :-[

johnneycool

Quote from: Ballybredagh on June 17, 2013, 08:18:11 PM
Johnny, I happen to know a number of the Antrim 89 team very well and all would say that the foundations were laid by Sean. Although I'm Antrim to the core, I'm more acquainted with inter-club relations in Down now and I know for sure that there are a number of people (some would say, quite a few) in the Ards who can't stand the progress being made in Bredagh, not to mention Carryduff and other non-Ards clubs. Then you have the big clown from Carryduff who wished Fullen Gaels the best of luck before we played them in the Junior S/F. Sorry for introducing Down discussion to an Antrim board, but I also recall Ards folk roaring their heads off in support of Ballycastle, when they played Portaferry and Ballycran in Ulster finals in the late 70's early 80's. Don't make it out that everything was rosy in the garden in Down then, it wasn't. The point is, you get nowhere at county level with the damaging rivalries that still persist today, particularly in North Antrim.

Shock horror, there's inter club jealousy in the Ards too and god forbid in the leafy suburbs of south Belfast now that's you are gaining a bit of success, take it as a back handed compliment. Some ballbag cheering on your opponent will have no bearing whatsoever on the result of a game so don't let it get to you. Allegedly when the result of our ulster final defeat to Rossa was announced on the radio there was a huge cheer went up in Gilmores bar in Kircubbin, they weren't cheering a year later.

I was in those changing rooms during Seans reign and unless I was oblivious to it never felt a them and us mentality between any of the players. Yes we hammered 7 shades of shíte out of each other if we ever played in club league and championship games but to the main that was left on the field to be resumed the next day.

I've a lot of time for Sean, he did an awful lot of good for Down hurling but he certainly knew how to embellish things in the press.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on June 18, 2013, 08:55:00 AM

Shock horror, there's inter club jealousy in the Ards too and god forbid in the leafy suburbs of south Belfast now that's you are gaining a bit of success, take it as a back handed compliment. Some ballbag cheering on your opponent will have no bearing whatsoever on the result of a game so don't let it get to you. Allegedly when the result of our ulster final defeat to Rossa was announced on the radio there was a huge cheer went up in Gilmores bar in Kircubbin, they weren't cheering a year later.

I was in those changing rooms during Seans reign and unless I was oblivious to it never felt a them and us mentality between any of the players. Yes we hammered 7 shades of shíte out of each other if we ever played in club league and championship games but to the main that was left on the field to be resumed the next day.

I've a lot of time for Sean, he did an awful lot of good for Down hurling but he certainly knew how to embellish things in the press.

He's mellowed a lot over the years, was down at our pitch last night when we played Sarsfields in a Southy game. Usually he'd be shouting but was quieter than normal. Good man and lot of time for him and the sons who I would have played against over the years. Always met him around Quinns on finals day every September.

Anyways in Antrim we have always had that, and it's been a real pain. The club championship is the real deal in most players heads up here, for years we have had clubs that dominated for long periods, Rossa, Cargin, Cushendall, Dunloy, Naomh Gall, Ballycastle Loughgiel, and of course the Johnnies. Having big periods of one club winning championships makes players very jealous and cocky, Not a good combination when the county teams meet up and players from the these clubs meet.

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on June 18, 2013, 08:55:00 AM

Precisely.
And even easier given the poor standard of hurling jounalism in the North.
I will say it again - if he was so good what happened the 2nd spell?
Enough for me - move on.

Are hurling league fixtures on/off this week?

Seamroga in exile

We've oisins on Thursday evening. No county players available as you'd expect.

NAG1

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 18, 2013, 10:59:05 AM

Is this match going ahead?

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: NAG1 on June 18, 2013, 11:23:55 AM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 18, 2013, 10:59:05 AM

Is this match going ahead?
yep.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Our game at cdall has been called off.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on June 18, 2013, 12:39:23 PM
Our game at cdall has been called off.

Ports V Rossa off as well I'm being told, but we're going ahead V Ballycran.