Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Buswhacker on November 09, 2012, 09:34:46 PM
Seems there's a distinct lack of enthusiasm for all things County, both from clubs and players alike.........wonder why ?
Maybe the boys on the panel see the success of the Shamrocks against the comparative failure at county level and fancy a piece of that action. Obviously not as easy as that!

maxpower

Just thinking recently on ways to improve our own club championship! As I see it two flaws in the current system.  One is the number of games is limited and two is (and no disrespect meant here) but the Ulster Championship has become a bit of a step down in standard!

Would it be possible to merge the championships.  A bit like the six nations in Rugby.

Top 8 teams in Antrim, top 3 in Down and top 4 in Derry, best of the rest!

4 groups of four!

For example - Loughgiel, ballycran, Rossa, dungiven.

Top team gets home advantage on QF against second places teams. Bottom of each group goes into a relegation play off with each other, with ulster intermediate champions coming up.

If an Antrim team wins they are awarded Antrim and Ulster Championships. Whichever down team does best gets a bye to down final. Who ever does 'worse' loses home advantage

Same applies to Derry teams!

Not without flaws but every team gets 4 meaningful championship games at least and even the group games would be a high standard.
What happens next????

btdtgtt

Radical.
I love the sentiments behind it - would be fantastic competition.
Usual problems but mostly will never happen due absence of forward thinking by powers that be.

theskull1

Wouldn't work in practice for a couple of reasons

• Not much chance of silverware for Down or Derry
  • Overlap with Derry football championships impossible
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Buswhacker on November 09, 2012, 09:34:46 PM
Seems there's a distinct lack of enthusiasm for all things County, both from clubs and players alike.........wonder why ?

I think clubs, fans and players are still feeling the tremors from the disaster that was last year. Hippy and shorty have been going at county level since minor and have seen a lot of false dawns along the way. we cant come on here and criticise them when they just don't have the stomach for it at present. The apathy shown by all clubs(generally not all members)towards county is a big problem. I feel alot of people are a bit disillusioned with our county board (they are not behind the door at hammering clubs with fines and stuff but when it came to showing hippy some support this summer they chickened out). We are in a bad place, but when you look at Laois they seem to be going through the same motions. maybe the dedication required even to hold out own(div 2) just doesn't seem worth it
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

maxpower

Quote from: theskull1 on November 10, 2012, 05:41:10 PM

I take point 2 but if an Antrim team won the championship the Down and Derry Championships would still happen. Home advantage for performing well in the Antrim championship!

Derry football would be the biggest practical concern. 
What happens next????

Lecale2

Interesting proposal Maxpower. Worth considering I think.

theskull1

All the considering Lecale2 wont change the fact that the Derry Co Board wouldn't sanction it.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on November 10, 2012, 05:41:10 PM

a home game once in a while would obviously help in point 1

Lecale2

Quote from: theskull1 on November 10, 2012, 08:33:10 PM
All the considering Lecale2 wont change the fact that the Derry Co Board wouldn't sanction it.

True enough. When Frankie Q first proposed the Ulster club league the Derry Board were the only county against it on principle.

Milltown Row2

The Loughgiel lads should be interested in this game today, could end up meeting this team in the final

Thurles Sarsfields (Tipperary) v Sarsfields (Cork), Thurles, 2pm think it's on tg4
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Ballyhale might have something to say about that mr2!
All shamrock final for my money.

Seamroga in exile

Ballyhale aren't out of Kilkenny yet lads. It isn't a foregone conclusion that they will either.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Seamroga in exile

16 mins gone in Kilkenny final. Ballyhale 5-4 up. They were 4-0 up after 10.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on November 11, 2012, 02:52:07 PM
16 mins gone in Kilkenny final. Ballyhale 5-4 up. They were 4-0 up after 10.

Sounds a bit turgid to me.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea