Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 15, 2012, 05:06:57 PM
Loughiel LoughGiel10/3favs
Ballyhale 7/2
Thurles 7/1
De la salle 7/1
Oulart 12/1

Loughiel LoughGiel odds skewed somewhat because bookies consider them in all-Ireland semi already where others will have big games just to get that far.
But favourites they are!
;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

btdtgtt

U have humble apologies SiE.
But I can't promise auto correct wont make the same mistake again.

That said - I am not sure antrim teams would normally be favs at this stage regardless of easier path to semi.
Therefore it's either recognition of last years achievement - or someone is putting money on eh... The shamrocks!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 15, 2012, 06:43:08 PM
U have humble apologies SiE.
But I can't promise auto correct wont make the same mistake again.

That said - I am not sure antrim teams would normally be favs at this stage regardless of easier path to semi.
Therefore it's either recognition of last years achievement - or someone is putting money on eh... The shamrocks!

Easier path to semi, but the Galway Champions, whoever they are will not be taking Loughgiel lightly and Loughgiel won't be thinking cause Portumna are out they may get to the final again.

Should Loughgiel account for Portaferry they will have to up whatever effort they put into the winter last year and add it by at least 15/20 percent. Nothing better than lining up for an All Ireland run, the players will be well pumped up and whatever aches and pains that they have at the min will be well forgotten with when they get the break after Ulster final.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

I used to dread the Galway champions as it usually meant anthenrye, sarsfields or portumna etc. with it likely to be a (dare I use this phrase) lesser team, with no recent record in the all Ireland series then loughgiel will be favourites. They should be favs.
But this is based on them beating the ports in the final. They should do so IMO.
hurl like f**k boi!

Seamroga in exile

Sure, no matter who we play, and perhaps beat, they'll be poor opposition. According to some of the "experts" on here anyway.  ::)

imtommygunn

There's the little matter of the ulster final to take care of first.

If Loughgiel have one eye on the semi then they could be beaten.

The big question I would have IF Loughgiel go through is whether they can bring the same intensity to the all ireland series as they did last year. While they obviously played some good hurling to win it the biggest thing for me was their work rate and the pressure they put the other teams under. Can they replicate that is the big question.

They need to even if it is slightly more unfancied galway opposition.

Assuming they beat Portaferry which is not a given...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 17, 2012, 01:26:28 PM
Sure, no matter who we play, and perhaps beat, they'll be poor opposition. According to some of the "experts" on here anyway.  ::)

Just the facts SIE, Cushendall should have beat De La Salle, Youse should have beat the Limerick champs before it went to extra time and the last Munster team to win was in 2004 and before that 89!!

Don't get to worked up about it, twice All Ireland Champions and on the road again to another. As for a weak team coming out of Galway, I don't think so, Gort, St Thomas's and Mullagh will be well capable of putting up a show, and as for the team that beat Portumna? well, say's it all really.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Megaman

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 17, 2012, 01:26:28 PM

lol, yous are easy wound up over that.

i dont wear rose tinted glasses like some and am well aware of the strength of teams we have played and our reasons for not crossing that line be it our fault or beyond our control.

IMHO yous played two very average teams, but who cares, i would gladly play two Minor teams to win an all-ireland.

Good luck in the Ulster Final (which i think yous will win by 8 or more) and the AI-Semi against whatever crap team comes out of Galway  ;)

btdtgtt

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=179379

This might stoke a few fires but what about outide ref's for Antrim?
Maybe a few southern refs might be encouraged to ref our games in exchange for a night in a hotel and a hot dinner?
Minimal cost given the benefits it might bring in encouraging a more southern style hurling and if nothing else we wont have any bias, perceived or not.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 17, 2012, 02:44:48 PM

Maybe a few southern refs might be encouraged to ref our games in exchange for a night in a hotel and a hot dinner?
Minimal cost given the benefits it might bring in encouraging a more southern style hurling and if nothing else we wont have any bias, perceived or not.

Can't blame referees all the time, some lads can't take a tackle and want to lash out our 'get him back' later. Not enough men playing the game in my opinion :o

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 17, 2012, 02:54:31 PM

Can't blame referees all the time, some lads can't take a tackle and want to lash out our 'get him back' later. Not enough men playing the game in my opinion :o

I can understand that local refs might be a bit peeved to be refereeing all year and then come the showcase final be overlooked for an outsider no matter how high profile and big the dinner is, however the lad who refereed the Down final had never refereed a senior game in his life up until that point, he referee's Div1 and 2 in Down and never refereed an Antrim league Div1 game.

Thankfully his lack of experience wasn't tested in a pretty pedestrian game which lacked a cutting edge and he'd no effect on the end result as the Ports 3 goal barrage but the game to bed early in the second half.

In this type of scenario I'd be on for bringing in an outside referee.

MR's point is also very valid when we talk of referee's 'letting it go' as the players need to buy into it as well or we end up with melee's all over the shop.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Most of the refs I've no problem with. One I do, I won't name him but I find him to be poor for us every time he has refed a few games this past while.
Other than I want consistency from them and not to be all doing diff things.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

1) again mr2 u insist on taking ur own slant from a post. I didn't blame refs on anything?! If u mean my comment on bias - only a fool would suggest we don't have biased ref(s) in Antrim.

2) regarding players also having a role - I fully agree. But refs conducting the game right can only help this over time.

3) johnnycool I Also agree about big games - was thinking of this as a constant throughout the league. Given the minimal expenditure I have no doubt croke park would fund it as part if their lip device to northern hurling. And if a homegrown ref does the championship final maybe he will have less baggage!

4) realist I think most teams would settle for consistency within one game never mind between refs!

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 17, 2012, 01:34:25 PM
There's the little matter of the ulster final to take care of first.

If Loughgiel have one eye on the semi then they could be beaten.

The big question I would have IF Loughgiel go through is whether they can bring the same intensity to the all ireland series as they did last year. While they obviously played some good hurling to win it the biggest thing for me was their work rate and the pressure they put the other teams under. Can they replicate that is the big question.

They need to even if it is slightly more unfancied galway opposition.

Assuming they beat Portaferry which is not a given...
I was including Portaferry.

Glensman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 17, 2012, 02:54:31 PM

+1