Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Maninthemiddle on September 25, 2012, 03:35:18 PM
In bad taste JC, didn't say he himself was looking support MR2, I know for a fact he sorts out all gear himself with sponsorship and his umpires always look like the dogs anytime Ive seen them, again was referring to your club and its overall lack of involvement/support in anything other than football, and you as stated previously where at the sharp end of that stick where you not?

Yeah but I was just wondering what support was he looking for, cause if he were getting something more than me...... ha

I've some borrowed kit off referees including Garret and Ray, expensive referee kits and not freely available in any of the GAA shops, which is a bit tight considering the price and the many variations of kits. I'm not into the fasion side of things myself, top black shorts whistle and a note book with yellow and red cards should be enough.

Quote from: lonely1 on September 25, 2012, 03:38:48 PM
MR2 could you elaborate on the Shamrocks/Duffy comment?

Yeah Garret will be a great man for the job and referee it fairly. Loughgiel have a tendacy to think they are always up against the rest. Garret won't have any problems calling the shots during the game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: NAG1 on September 25, 2012, 03:03:58 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on September 25, 2012, 02:49:09 PM
Tryin to catch up here lads bear with me!

Skull - I hear what you say on Aghohill, think I posted afterwards saying I meant rural rather than NA. My point was more on St Endas leaving the city (where they are from ha ha!)

NAG - I do still think it was out of order asking the city teams to travel to every game, even if thats not still the case. Credit to NA for organising a better structure but at the end of the day its about improving the games for the young people of our whole county. It put a terrible burden on city clubs to do this travelling for the sake of a parochial them and us attitude. I mean NA cant win an all-ireland or advance hurling on their own! Indeed, NA leagues are enhanced by the Belfast teams as they now need the depth too - in effect it is an all county league!
I think Johnny Cool is right about all-county leagues. Its needed becasue there is not sufficient depth in either part of the county to develop - look at the growing number of amalgamations. Playing the same opposition every week in our local areas will not be productive in the long term.

Mind you - dont' think I'm claiming some sort of city victim slant here. We could argue that NA & SW have better organised divisional leagues becasue they are by and large only catering for one code, and while there is some truth in that it doesnt let SA off the hook for diabolical administration. Its the same oul heads doing the same box ticking exercises and with little or no interest outside of the meeting in casement - guys who rarely step on to the field.

As for me getting involved - I spend what time I can helping at underage (admittadly too much with F***kin camogie!) but thats the family! But I can tell you that time is put in at clubs all over Belfast in spite of rather than with SA administration.

So yes - I take everyones point but I think we have been somewhat parochial and its doing nobody any good!
After all Antrim are competing underage at B and C level - says it all.

Hope I've cleared up what I was getting at!

Now whats the comments about Garrett Duffy?
Not supported within Galls?
Is he retiring from the whistle?

I think if you look into the reasoning behind this you will see that it had nothing to do with a parochial attitude or a them and us thing. It was simply a way of testing the commitment of the clubs involved in wanting to move up the country at the same time it was less of an instant impact on the NA clubs. After the period of time had elapsed the club joining will have proved their commitment and hopefully will have gained strength and numbers from being in a better structured set up.

Win Win. Im sure these clubs will enjoy hosting their NA neighbour once that happens.
I will testify to that, worked just fine for us, no complaints at all.

btdtgtt

Skull - I hear what you say on Aghohill, think I posted afterwards saying I meant rural rather than NA. My point was more on St Endas leaving the city (where they are from ha ha!)

NAG - I do still think it was out of order asking the city teams to travel to every game, even if thats not still the case. Credit to NA for organising a better structure but at the end of the day its about improving the games for the young people of our whole county. It put a terrible burden on city clubs to do this travelling for the sake of a parochial them and us attitude. I mean NA cant win an all-ireland or advance hurling on their own! Indeed, NA leagues are enhanced by the Belfast teams as they now need the depth too - in effect it is an all county league!
I think Johnny Cool is right about all-county leagues. Its needed becasue there is not sufficient depth in either part of the county to develop - look at the growing number of amalgamations. Playing the same opposition every week in our local areas will not be productive in the long term.

Mind you - dont' think I'm claiming some sort of city victim slant here. We could argue that NA & SW have better organised divisional leagues becasue they are by and large only catering for one code, and while there is some truth in that it doesnt let SA off the hook for diabolical administration. Its the same oul heads doing the same box ticking exercises and with little or no interest outside of the meeting in casement - guys who rarely step on to the field.

As for me getting involved - I spend what time I can helping at underage (admittadly too much with F***kin camogie!) but thats the family! But I can tell you that time is put in at clubs all over Belfast in spite of rather than with SA administration.

So yes - I take everyones point but I think we have been somewhat parochial and its doing nobody any good!

I think if you look into the reasoning behind this you will see that it had nothing to do with a parochial attitude or a them and us thing. It was simply a way of testing the commitment of the clubs involved in wanting to move up the country at the same time it was less of an instant impact on the NA clubs. After the period of time had elapsed the club joining will have proved their commitment and hopefully will have gained strength and numbers from being in a better structured set up.

Win Win. Im sure these clubs will enjoy hosting their NA neighbour once that happens.

Yes that's fair enough - maybe a bit much "testing" teams commitment but Thats NA perogative.
I think both NA & city teams are better for it no doubt.

So begs the question - why again didn't the county do their job right rather than have a NA league which is in effect the all county league. But then this is is Antrim.

Last Man

Quote from: btdtgtt on September 25, 2012, 04:31:50 PM

Yes that's fair enough - maybe a bit much "testing" teams commitment but Thats NA perogative.
I think both NA & city teams are better for it no doubt.

So begs the question - why again didn't the county do their job right rather than have a NA league which is in effect the all county league. But then this is is Antrim.
For me there is less of a sense of it being about power and influence and more of just getting on with it for the good of everyone.... A paranoid wee soul me :-\

imtommygunn

A lot of what you're saying makes sense but I think you need to consider the fact that the North Antrim board is regional and thus parochial by nature.

If we want all county leagues it's up to the county board and not the north antrim board to provide them.

theskull1

Here's the antrim websites list of SA team (of which St Endas is one (they must be going on geographical location  :) )

Ardoyne Kickhams
    Cardinal O'Donnell's
    Eire Óg
    Gort na Mona
    Henry Joy McCracken's
    John Mitchel's
    Lagmore Gaels
    Lámh Dhearg
    Michael Davitt's
    Michael Dwyer's
    O'Donovan Rossa
    Patrick Pearse's
    Patrick Sarsfield's
    Sean McDermott's
    St. Agnes'
    St. Brigid's, Belfast
    St. Enda's
    St. Gall's
    St. John's
    St. Malachy's
    St. Paul's
    St. Teresa's

Somebody fill in what clubs play hurling
and
of those clubs which ones have regular blitzs U8/10/12?

Surely theres enough teams to get a good wee thing going at underage level accross all in Belfast if the will was there (but obviously isnt). Why is NA getting the blame for SA's failure to organise?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on September 25, 2012, 09:56:20 PM
Here's the antrim websites list of SA team (of which St Endas is one (they must be going on geographical location  :) )

Ardoyne Kickhams
    Cardinal O'Donnell's
    Eire Óg
    Gort na Mona
    Henry Joy McCracken's
    John Mitchel's
    Lagmore Gaels
    Lámh Dhearg
    Michael Davitt's
    Michael Dwyer's
    O'Donovan Rossa
    Patrick Pearse's
    Patrick Sarsfield's
    Sean McDermott's
    St. Agnes'
    St. Brigid's, Belfast
    St. Enda's
    St. Gall's
    St. John's
    St. Malachy's
    St. Paul's
    St. Teresa's

Somebody fill in what clubs play hurling
and
of those clubs which ones have regular blitzs U8/10/12?

Surely theres enough teams to get a good wee thing going at underage level accross all in Belfast if the will was there (but obviously isnt). Why is NA getting the blame for SA's failure to organise?

I know ourselves, Rossa, the Johnnies and Sarsfields have been running Blitzs every year, but that would be the limit
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I have never ever heard of Lagmore.

Quite a  few of those clubs are fighting for existence never mind keeping hurling going.

Lamh Dhearg / St Pauls / GNM must do something as well MR?

Eire Og, McCrackens, Mitchells, Lagmore, Dwyers, Pearses, St Brigids and St Malachys have no senior hurling teams. 8 from 22 then with no hurling.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 25, 2012, 10:18:09 PM
I have never ever heard of Lagmore.

Quite a  few of those clubs are fighting for existence never mind keeping hurling going.

Lamh Dhearg / St Pauls / GNM must do something as well MR?

Eire Og, McCrackens, Mitchells, Lagmore, Dwyers, Pearses, St Brigids and St Malachys have no senior hurling teams. 8 from 22 then with no hurling.
What size of membership is there in these city clubs? Would all the marginal clubs scrabbling around in Div 4/5 not think about amalgamation into sonething stronger?

imtommygunn

Lagmore, McCrackens and Dwyers don't have football teams either. Not sure if they do something in south antrim leagues at all?

I'd say Mitchels ate struggling for numbers too.

btdtgtt

Good god man I am not blaming NA on SA failures!

Check the posts I slated both SA & county that fundamentally they haven't been doin their job! My simple point is that the NA league is in effect a whole county league and so should be administered as such by the county - simple!

The list of clubs would seem fantastic on paper but the reality is that some are football only and some age grades only. The clubs actually ploughing into genuine hurling development are mentioned by MR2 and some of the work going on is outstanding. However the handful of clubs means same opposition meet too often - I am sure it's a similar situation in NA so hence my assertion that all county competition is the way forward.

As for that list of SA clubs - could start a whole different debate!
Better leave it! Tony baloney it's a minefield!

Getting close to Saturday night lads!!

Sleeping giant

See some mad man has shamrock flag flying in dunlathi  ;D
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Sleeping giant on September 25, 2012, 10:40:09 PM
See some mad man has shamrock flag flying in dunlathi  ;D
>:( burn this evil rag. Must gather a mob!! Lol
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

More than likely a Ballee flag

The enemy of my enemy is my friend  ;)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Gizzy15

Here talk that divisional boards may be done away with, lots of meetings already taken place and league restructure a real possibility with it. Dunno how many more years divisional boards will serve a purpose anyway.