Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

I can tell you joe Edwards would not be in a hurry to do anything for the benefit of another club and certainly not Rossa!

I take the point about the league table not lying - whoever it is to be can rightly claim and point to the reason they deserve it. Works both ways.

That's said MR2 did hint at league changes last week?

No doubt a few of our posters will claim it's all decided by loughiel anyway!

aontroim

Quote from: saffron89 on September 19, 2012, 09:26:56 PM
btgdtt i will see u there on Sunday should be a hum dinger.

Referee will have his hands full.  though if all is to be believed the oisins will welcome back about 8 first team regulars.  they have to be slight favourites.

rumours abound that Joe Edwards doing his best to change the leagues a little, especially if the rossa lose on Sunday.  i am sure there are some oisins wanting to watch the football, just unsure if its liverpool v man u or the mayo game

Wee Joe is the last man who would propose changing the league structure, and has been the loudest supporter / proponent of 8 team leagues at county meetings.  The drive for any change will be coming from the usual places in Belfast and parts of North Antrim.

Gizzy15

They arnt budging from the 8 team league for the simple reason that it makes it easier for them to organise. Less work with only 14 weeks of fixtures to fit into the year. Fecking joke as when you take mid week games into consideration all hurling league fixtures are played off in 8 - 10 weeks. yet they still complain about the number of free weeks and actually have fixtures on All Ireland final day. its not really about improving the standard of hurling to them, its more about making it easier for CCC (Joe) to compile his fixtures

btdtgtt

Interesting points gizzy. 

Yes it is incredible when u think the season can run from march/April to October and yet they can't fit in 14 matches without playing on all Ireland day. The breaks for county action are far too long.
Time for the clubs to show wee joe etc who should be calling the shots.

theskull1

Come on lads... use your heads.

So lets say 28-30 weekends til the end of Sept.

14 Matches to play in the all county hurling league
Then there's an equivalent amount for dual clubs
The Ulster Hurling League still needs to be finished
Don't forget U21
Oh then there's the Feis cup
And what about all the inter county preparations at senior and U21
Then there's this thing called championship which clubs like to prepare for before playing (sometimes that might involve a weekend away)
Does your club train? We do a fair bit to try and get fit and be able to hit the ball...I think it works ..others might disagree

Very short sighted to make out that playing 14 games in one league format is a joke. It's a busy schedule for dual clubs.

I personally agree with the 8 team format and have outlined my reasons for it many times. Clubs who respect the game will make their way out of Division 2 and be at the very least compeditive in Div 1. Does anybody remember the last time Sarfields won division 2 when the Div 1 league was made up of 12 or 14 teams. Absolutely no use for them or anybody playing them. Personally believe the status quo is much more healthy for the game in the long run. Clubs playing for top spot in Div2 should stop whinging and just work at upping the standards of their game. They'll be all the better for it if they do get promoted

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Last Man

Quote from: theskull1 on September 20, 2012, 12:10:01 AM
Come on lads... use your heads.

So lets say 28-30 weekends til the end of Sept.

14 Matches to play in the all county hurling league
Then there's an equivalent amount for dual clubs
The Ulster Hurling League still needs to be finished
Don't forget U21
Oh then there's the Feis cup
And what about all the inter county preparations at senior and U21
Then there's this thing called championship which clubs like to prepare for before playing (sometimes that might involve a weekend away)
Does your club train? We do a fair bit to try and get fit and be able to hit the ball...I think it works ..others might disagree

Very short sighted to make out that playing 14 games in one league format is a joke. It's a busy schedule for dual clubs.

I personally agree with the 8 team format and have outlined my reasons for it many times. Clubs who respect the game will make their way out of Division 2 and be at the very least compeditive in Div 1. Does anybody remember the last time Sarfields won division 2 when the Div 1 league was made up of 12 or 14 teams. Absolutely no use for them or anybody playing them. Personally believe the status quo is much more healthy for the game in the long run. Clubs playing for top spot in Div2 should stop whinging and just work at upping the standards of their game. They'll be all the better for it if they do get promoted
Why is it that the perceived implications for what happens in Div 1 are the only thing that matters. Here we go again....Status quo!

theskull1

What do you mean LM?

It's logical to me that the leagues (div1 in particular) need to be competitive to keep the standard of the game high. Create a larger gulf between the top and bottom clubs by enlarging leagues I don't think will help anybody (apart from a few clubs egos).

Perhaps you could explain the plight of being a lower div hurler. I was led to believe div2 is a good league but confess I know little or nothing about 3 & 4. Do you believe rearranging the deck chairs would be good for the game. If so explain

Just thinking......If a div5 was created just for McDs would that maybe satisfy your need? ;)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Lecale2

Div 2 and 3 are very competitive. The only problem I see is with Div 4 where Cushendun, Glenravel, St Teresa's and St Enda's are far above the standard of the rest. All 4 of them could hold their own in Div 3 but there's only one promotion slot.

Gizzy15

Div 2 and 3 are competitive though are still open to change. Intermedaite C'ship final between 2 Div 3 teams who could hold their own in Div 2. also Clooney Gaels and Armoy. Would it not be possible to Have top 2from Div 2 promoted to Div 1 no relegation(10 team div 1) top 4 in Div 3 all of whome are capable up to div 2 (10 team div 2). and top 4 fom Div 4 up to Div 3 (8 team Div 3).

If you Look at the teams this would involve all the Leagues would be very competitive. Div 1 teams may not want two up but would this really detract from standard as one of the two div 2 teams will be going up anyway and they are of a similar standard.

Just an opnion and not wanting to ruffle any feathers just to see what other people think.

btdtgtt

Again lads some great points. I see what you mean Skull about fixtures and especially dual clubs but as the other lads say just because the top divisions are competitive doesnt mean that rings true the whole way down - indeed it doesnt.

There are mismatches for many clubs outside of the top divisions.
I also think that between March-Oct we have too many potential fixture dates lying idle. For example a club playing Friday evening then Sunday is the same as being asked to play Sunday then Wednesday - so why not introduce some Friday night fixtures.

But like I said before I think the main way of getting more fixtures played is by cuuting out the ridiculous situation where everything stops until our county teams are beaten! I understand maybe a week before a county game but having hundreds of players lying idle for the sake if 24 on the county panel is absurd. And lets face it - its not like this has been working to date!

maxpower

I don't agree that extending the leagues will help! However I would support 2 up 2 down in terms of relegation! Glenarrife yo-yoing back and forward does little for the other div 2 teams but St Galls and Rossa could very much compete and if Randalstown and the likes put a big push then maybe!

The problem I have is the season ends to early for alOt of players, normally championship is played early august, therefore half our adult players will stop training then! That in itself will lower the standard for county selection! 2 up 2 down with play offs for the winners would keep most clubs interested and training into October when the leagues should finish and break until May!
What happens next????

imtommygunn

I'd like to see 2 up and 2 down but with a playoff. That would give a bigger push for a few teams to be involved in the playoff // not be involved in the playoff.

I don't think there's anything wrong with 1, 2 and 3 but the standard is extremely hit and miss in 4. Each year the good teams in it have tight games against about 2 other good teams and some other matches are mismatches.

How they rectify this I'm not sure. I guess the only way would be to make 3 bigger or to go with a 4a and 4b which they previously did but that wouldn't allow 8 teams per league I suspect(not sure of numbers).

Teams will always yo-yo the way Glenariff are doing. I think only themselves and Rossa could hold their own in division 1 from division 2 at present.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 20, 2012, 10:37:27 AM
I'd like to see 2 up and 2 down but with a playoff. That would give a bigger push for a few teams to be involved in the playoff // not be involved in the playoff.

I don't think there's anything wrong with 1, 2 and 3 but the standard is extremely hit and miss in 4. Each year the good teams in it have tight games against about 2 other good teams and some other matches are mismatches.

How they rectify this I'm not sure. I guess the only way would be to make 3 bigger or to go with a 4a and 4b which they previously did but that wouldn't allow 8 teams per league I suspect(not sure of numbers).

Teams will always yo-yo the way Glenariff are doing. I think only themselves and Rossa could hold their own in division 1 from division 2 at present.

::)

If there was two up two down I'd be very happy, been asking it for years FFS no one wants it in hurling, they are fine with it in football and it really works.

Glenariff won't be able to maintain this yo-yo thing much longer, due to numbers and kids coming through I don't they would get much success in a few years time. Rossa will always have a steady amount of very good hurlers coming through, it's about applying and dedicating themselves to achieving something that only they (as a Belfast club) can realistically do, winning senior championships.

Oh that last bit hurt  :'( :'(
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

I watch alot of Division2 ans as much Div1 as possible.

I have no doubt and I would say most people would agree that Glenarrife Rossa and StGalls are as good as any team outside the big3 (?!). Their issue is maintaining it for the full season due to either players away from home or being dual clubs. Either way division 1 hurling would be better off for these teams given that a rising tide would lift all boats and this would have a positive effect on these clubs and the league as a whole.

Division2 would remain very competitive without them with plenty of teams at a similar standard. That said, I do not dispute that to be prove you are good enough for division1 a team should win promotion, but lets face it sometimes a re-structure is required (dont forget Galls and Rossa were only relegated by re-structuring)

One more point - I think we can exempt randalstown - they will be lucky to stay in Div2.

johnneycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 20, 2012, 10:37:27 AM

2 up, 2 down would if anything increase the yo-yo effect for the clubs talked about and ourselves. It'd be harder to stay in Div1 and easier to get out of Div2.

My plan would be to increase Div1 to 10 teams, that'd give everyone initially 9 games, then after those games split the league into the top 5 and bottom 5 who'd play out against each other giving each team another 4 games, one less than what a Div1 team gets currently.

Yes there'll be some mismatches in the first round games, that'll give the bigger teams a chance to give youngster and panelists a run out and a chance for lesser clubs to experience hurling at a higher level, plus they'll get competitive fixtures against teams of a similar stature.

The mid table teams will be pushing hard to get into the top five, making them compete in each and every game and the big three will still get their competitive games against each other, home and away.

just my thoughts.