Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

girt_giggler

true. better taking a chance on them +2 at around 10/11 I think I saw it in Easties yesterday.

Antrim @ 8/13 in a LMCC match, just doesnt sound right!  ;D

Balboa

Quote from: girt_giggler on July 05, 2007, 11:10:14 AM
true. better taking a chance on them +2 at around 10/11 I think I saw it in Easties yesterday.

Antrim @ 8/13 in a LMCC match, just doesnt sound right!  ;D

Maybe better again with Paddy Power is Antrim (-4) at 13/8, i wouldnt be going silly with it though ! Same team for Saturday, quite a few boys need to up their performance from last week.

NAG

Same team named for benefit of papers and other press, expect a few changes both personell and positional.

Ruairi Og exile

NAG....are you saying that team is wrong & there will be changes.

A few must be looking over there shoulders...the likes of Johnny Campbell, Shane McN, Brendan Herron & Paul Shiels??? Micky Kettle to come back in??

NAG

Yes there are changes coming, I would expect anything to radical but there are personell and positional changes coming.

Personally dont believe that Johnny is a centre back and cant understand why Karl has been moved out of there. People say he isnt a marker and his man does too much damage, but he clears up all the loose ball and sure the management seem intent on bringing someone from the forward line (usually shileds) to help Johnny out because he is under pressure.

This is a totally negative move, if the mid fielders were on their game one would be sweeping infornt of the centre back allowing him to drop off into the gap between full back and half back lines and covering that space which is so dangerous. BUt maybe the management dont see it like that and are more intent on proving that they were right and leaving a spare man for the opposition in our forward line when our forwards are already incapable of winning their own 50-50 battle.

does that make sense or is it too simple??????

milltown row

teams use the seven man defence all the time, if your playing against a quality forward line then having an extra player there for some cover can stiffle the opposing teams plans. but quality ball must go into the forwards. it is no use playing a high ball into the two full forwards, as the spare man will clean up the breaking ball, the forwards in turn must play infront of their men and expect the ball coming in.
so the forwards must be very quick and have the ability to win ball and go past the defender. the half forward line must not take the space in front of them either. this plan works well if everybody are well drilled on this during training.

we used this tactic a few years ago as the squad was just up to division one and our policiy was to contain teams and use our speed in the forward line to get the scores. worked well and the lads gained a lot of confidence against teams that would have normally duffed us had we played a normall game.

against the likes of Cork, Galway and the rest Antrim should be using this, we might not always win but we will gain confidence from the games by making them competitive

Balboa

Quote from: NAG on July 05, 2007, 02:19:22 PM
sure the management seem intent on bringing someone from the forward line (usually shileds) to help Johnny out because he is under pressure.

Shields wasnt brought back to cover for Johhny Campbell, he was brought back to protect the full back line who were getting over run, the halfbacks and particularly midfield were not doing their jobs, Clare were cutting through them. Shields distribution of the ball was woeful when he cam back so if they are intent in using this tactic maybe he isnt the right man.

slow corner back

They tried Karl stewart in that role against Kilkenny in the league and it did not work. Admittedly part of the problem was Shiels and McFall in the two man full forward line, McFall had no speed and Shiels was pushed about by his marker  plus the big KK full back ate up all the high balls we dropped on his head.

TheGreatGame

Well lads meself and a few others are making the trip up for this one.  Looking forward to what should be a close enough game.  The Laois team definately wont be the team named, Joe Phelan went off the last day with a torn hamstring so I'd say the management just put out the same team to the press for convenience sake.  He will be a big enough loss too but Laois should be solid from 1 to 9.  The forwards let us down against Galway and whichever sides front six operates better on the day will probably win.  Keep an eye out for some of our younger players, both corner backs and centre-back are u21 and good prospects for the future. By the sounds of things Antrim have a few young lads in the forwards so there should be some good clashes in prospect.

Havent been up to Casement before for a game.  We're thinking of heading up Friday and maybe staying in a hotel or B & B.  Could anyone give some info on suitable places to stay and any places worth visiting for a few scoops?  Also a friends family (youngest 12) are getting the train up on Saturday and any advice there would help too.

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: North Antrim on July 04, 2007, 12:08:55 PM
Our championship team will be - providing everyones fit - Ryan McGarry, micky Buff, Ronan Donnelly, Gary Maybin, Bamba, Neal McAuley, Hippy, Nander, Ryan D, Peter Dallat, Pinky, ????., Steve McGarry, Causey, KB McShane

Think we will make semis - and hopefully draw the bodies!!!

Too many boys in that team. Though, I highly expect them to make a good impression, it being our centenuary year and all. Still very vunrable in a few areas.  Can't see it being this year but I can see it coming eventualy hopefully.

Balboa

Antrim team is being named tonight, who do youse think will get the chop (if anyone) ?

Tony Baloney

Corner forward needs looked at as Sambo's boy was poor enough in the last match. Tosh wasn't firing on all cylinders last time out too - he could be on the bench or maybe pushed into the corner to replace Shane. If Jonny Campbell was gonna be axed it would have happened a long time ago - he must of photos of Sambo and Woody somewhere  ;)

milltown row

Quote from: TheGreatGame on July 05, 2007, 10:14:26 PM
Well lads meself and a few others are making the trip up for this one.  Looking forward to what should be a close enough game.  The Laois team definately wont be the team named, Joe Phelan went off the last day with a torn hamstring so I'd say the management just put out the same team to the press for convenience sake.  He will be a big enough loss too but Laois should be solid from 1 to 9.  The forwards let us down against Galway and whichever sides front six operates better on the day will probably win.  Keep an eye out for some of our younger players, both corner backs and centre-back are u21 and good prospects for the future. By the sounds of things Antrim have a few young lads in the forwards so there should be some good clashes in prospect.

Havent been up to Casement before for a game.  We're thinking of heading up Friday and maybe staying in a hotel or B & B.  Could anyone give some info on suitable places to stay and any places worth visiting for a few scoops?  Also a friends family (youngest 12) are getting the train up on Saturday and any advice there would help too.

Any number of pubs in the west Belfast area but the city centre is where you want to be. Hotels are booked up pretty quickly so get on the ball early. Jury's, Days hotel, and a rake of B&B's in South Belfast area. For bars and clubs in town, the Cathedral quarter is quite busy.

On the Saturday before the game there are a lot of bars around Casement, our own club is facing the Falls Park along with Rossa, the White fort Inn is closer again and Casement has it's own bar under the stand.

Balboa

Karl Stewart & Colm Duffin  ??? replace McIntosh & Shane Mc Naughton tomorrow.

Give-it-Timber

Quote from: Balboa on July 06, 2007, 08:44:21 PM
Karl Stewart & Colm Duffin  ??? replace McIntosh & Shane Mc Naughton tomorrow.

Oh my Good God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!        :o  :o  :o        :'(  :'(   :'(