Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CitySlicker11

Glenariffe were down in div two a few years ago, how did they far against Rossa in waterfoot that time Btdtgtt?

oisinog

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 25, 2012, 01:34:45 PM
Glenariffe were down in div two a few years ago, how did they far against Rossa in waterfoot that time Btdtgtt?

That would have been 3 years ago and I am struggling to remember if Rossa where in the league that year.
I know we went through that year without loosing in the league (i think)

jeremiah

Glenariffe won in Belfast, Rossa won in Waterfoot

oisinog

For the life of me I cant remember those games

btdtgtt

Rossa have a habit of beating the other big teams in this league - Ballycastle StJohns StGalls Glenarrife - but losing to so called lesser sides! Thatrs consistency is what league hurling is about.
So I would have no doubt that Rossa beat Glenarrife imn Waterfoot - mainly because I was at it!

But that means nothing this year - my God I would love to think Rossa could win out their games and clinch the league but their overall form tells me otherwise. I think both sides have a hurdle or two before the 5th August anyway.

I will say it again - great league.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on June 25, 2012, 03:09:21 PM
Rossa have a habit of beating the other big teams in this league - Ballycastle StJohns StGalls Glenarrife - but losing to so called lesser sides! Thatrs consistency is what league hurling is about.
So I would have no doubt that Rossa beat Glenarrife imn Waterfoot - mainly because I was at it!

But that means nothing this year - my God I would love to think Rossa could win out their games and clinch the league but their overall form tells me otherwise. I think both sides have a hurdle or two before the 5th August anyway.

I will say it again - great league.

Was a line I have said before, very competitive and a lot of teams evenly matched.

Owen did our game and he also said to me after the game (having tea, sarnies and buns!!!) it's a far better league than the div 1 league, because the games are so close and hard fought.

Again many thanks to the ladies in Glenariffe for the after match food and tea, been having that tea and sarnies for close on 24 years!!! (FFS) Was talking to a few players from years by from Glenariffe who i battled against. Good hurling lads
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Playing at a lower standard and having competitive matches maybe makes it a more exciting league but not a better one.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on June 25, 2012, 03:48:52 PM
Playing at a lower standard and having competitive matches maybe makes it a more exciting league but not a better one.

No one disagreeing with that NAG1, better maybe not the right word but a lot more interesting
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

MR2 from the Div1 games I have seen this year that definitely would not be much of a challenge!  ;)

jeremiah

I think if you take away Cushendall and Loughgiel there's nothing between the rest of division 1 and the top 3 or 4 in Division 2. I think there's definitely merit in a 10 team top division with 2 up/2 down like the football leagues.

CitySlicker11

100% agree with you on that one Jeremiah. It would also not be too different from the Div 1 football league that St Galls and Cargin dominate each year. There would be plenty of competitive matches and more meaningful games until the end of the season with two up and two down. This would also give clubs more emphasis to push on in hurling as if they could make second spot in Div 2 then they are going to be granted a shot at Div 1 hurling. If ten team leagues were approved you could also have a play off between third last and third bottom, therefore making our leagues even more meaningful, the more of these type of games are club players play, the more it benefits the county as a whole.

However, there is one reason that these changes will be very hard to implement. Clubs who are currently in Div1 but lingering around the bottom half of the table are not going to vote in a motion that could see their club relegated to Div 2, selfishness is essentially what is holding Antrim back.

johnneycool

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 25, 2012, 04:41:45 PM
100% agree with you on that one Jeremiah. It would also not be too different from the Div 1 football league that St Galls and Cargin dominate each year. There would be plenty of competitive matches and more meaningful games until the end of the season with two up and two down. This would also give clubs more emphasis to push on in hurling as if they could make second spot in Div 2 then they are going to be granted a shot at Div 1 hurling. If ten team leagues were approved you could also have a play off between third last and third bottom, therefore making our leagues even more meaningful, the more of these type of games are club players play, the more it benefits the county as a whole.

However, there is one reason that these changes will be very hard to implement. Clubs who are currently in Div1 but lingering around the bottom half of the table are not going to vote in a motion that could see their club relegated to Div 2, selfishness is essentially what is holding Antrim back.

Considering that three of these clubs are Down clubs with no say, then it should go through.

Possibly play a 10 team league and after everyone has played each other once (9 games), split the league into the top 5 and bottom 5 (another 4 games) then the top teams will be playing each other twice and keeping the tankings to a minimum.

Would give the mid table teams something to battle for through the whole year.

btdtgtt

Very much agree with those points but lets face it - won't happen for one reason or another! I think top up & bottom down automatically, then second top & bottom play off at neutral venue.

gelvis

Bcastle suspensions out

MMS JC = nothing
PD = 4 weeks
MD = 1 year?

Seems a bit harsh on MD but hes had a few straight reds in the last couple of years, might have something to do with it.  Heard Portaferry's physio was going to attend the hearing to support MMS and JC about why they were told to leave the pitch.
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

btdtgtt

Is the fact that 2boys were not suspended despite being reported not a slant on ref?