Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Antrim will never "succeed" until people from Stranocum, Dervock, Ballybogey, Ballyclare, Carrickfergus, Antrim, Galgorm, Ballymoney start hurling. We have shown that we can compete at club level in both codes but we lack the right numbers to be seriously competitive at IC level

I personally would prefer us to have someone local and a wise old head like JN is as good an  option as any....picking a select (ala international soccer) and working 3-4 times the week before an intercounty match. Treat the players well (kit and food after training) and then send them back to their clubs until the next game comes up. All this week in week out year in year out travelling to county training for amateurs (especially dual players) would wear anybody down over time. Don't think we would be any further way from that success people talk about (what it is) doing it this way and the league run better IMO. Encourage all clubs to up their coaching standards over time and see where it takes us. I think it would be more enjoyable for all concerned
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Seamroga in exile

I'd think there'd be 7-8 lg players starting the next Antrim game.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

btdtgtt

Interesting points skull1.

Drastic for some but I can see exactly where you are coming from.

NAG1

Dont think its overly drastic, think its along the right lines.

Take the emphasis away from the county set-up put it back onto the clubs, have the county manager drop in on the clubs week in week out watch the training, along with the paid county staff suggest ways to improve the training. Support the club coaches.
Thereby forcing the standard of the coaches up, standard of player will increase, level of competition increases, county will benefit from a better standard of player to chose from.

Dont think we would be any less successful going with a system like this as opposed the current one!

oisinog

Quote from: NAG1 on June 20, 2012, 01:22:23 PM
Dont think its overly drastic, think its along the right lines.

Take the emphasis away from the county set-up put it back onto the clubs, have the county manage drop in on the clubs week in week out watch the training, along with the paid county staff suggest ways to improve the training. Support the club coaches.
Thereby forcing the standard of the coaches up, standard or player will increase
, level of competition increases, county will benefit from a better standard of player to chose from.

Dont think we would be any less successful going with a system like this as opposed the current one!

That is a great suggestion. We are paying for the coaches so why are we not getting some help from them.

btdtgtt

All great points lads - I agree 100%

nrico2006

I see Derry won the Camogie title at the weekend and gave Antrim a bit of a hammering.  Has Jane Adams retired?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

btdtgtt

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 20, 2012, 02:08:19 PM
I see Derry won the Camogie title at the weekend and gave Antrim a bit of a hammering.  Has Jane Adams retired?

Dont know.
Don't care.

Go to a camogie forum and ask.

DearyMe

No, she was at county training last night - fitted right in with the dall and LG squable :P
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

nrico2006

Quote from: hardstation on June 20, 2012, 02:20:06 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on June 20, 2012, 02:14:34 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 20, 2012, 02:08:19 PM

Dont know.
Don't care.

Go to a camogie forum and ask.
Bit ignorant.

She wasn't playing, nrico. Not sure if that's due to retirement.

Good man.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 20, 2012, 01:05:53 PM
I'd think there'd be 7-8 lg players starting the next Antrim game.
if there is where in for some roasting. did you watch galway v offlay on sunday. they had three players on from coolderry who made it to club final as well albeit beaten by a better loughgeil team but you could still consider them the second best club team playing this year. Brady started midfield and didn't contribute much. parlon and carroll started at corner and full forward and neither raised a flag. now when you consider galway have leaked six goals in there last two matches(3 on sunday,Dooley and Joe bergin i think). connor Conney banged in two in a matter of minutes but you wouldn't say his club are flying in galway.  maybe JN is bringing these players on to try and deploy a system that has worked for the shamrocks at club level (he knows me than all of us about hurling). SIE theres a big difference at county level where higher skill levels also has to be match by more strength and pace. I have seen some of the said players called up before and they haven't impressed at this level.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Megaman

Quote from: DearyMe on June 20, 2012, 02:16:11 PM
No, she was at county training last night - fitted right in with the dall and LG squable :P

can you explain the squabble ?

Dall players didnt go cause they havent been all year and are lazy feckers.

LG players go cause someone from their management team is in charge.

@ skull - i agree 100%, this is something i have been saying for a few years now.

Buswhacker

north antrim bound..........So you're saying that introducing more Div 1 players is not a good idea, and that we should stick with lower Div players who have " higher skill levels" and more " strength and pace".

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Buswhacker on June 20, 2012, 03:21:24 PM
north antrim bound..........So you're saying that introducing more Div 1 players is not a good idea, and that we should stick with lower Div players who have " higher skill levels" and more " strength and pace".

wasnt addressing yourself bush, why well read what you just typed. we should pick division one players over lower division players even the ones with more skil strengh and pace. get in touch with brian cody and tell him to drop tommy walsh right away
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

imtommygunn

Quote from: Buswhacker on June 20, 2012, 03:21:24 PM

Are you still beating on about this?

You pick your best 15 no matter what division they are in. It's a no brainer.

If some lower division players are better and just aren't blessed with being from a strong club you pick them. To not pick them would be stupid.