Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DearyMe

I really am perplexed at that result!

Sarsfields cannot be as the results suggest, with respect.  Rossa need to get the house in order HS and fast - or they will get dragged into an almighty fight (Connolly and Murphy will be wheeled out to keep them up!!!)

Although their result against Gort now looks like the 'good form' is working out!  Given the results so far though (with respect Rossa) it does seem that they may have had 3 suitable opening games.
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: DearyMe on April 26, 2012, 09:20:34 AM
I really am perplexed at that result!

Sarsfields cannot be as the results suggest, with respect.  Rossa need to get the house in order HS and fast - or they will get dragged into an almighty fight (Connolly and Murphy will be wheeled out to keep them up!!!)

Although their result against Gort now looks like the 'good form' is working out!  Given the results so far though (with respect Rossa) it does seem that they may have had 3 suitable opening games.

Sarsfields have improved and they are not a flash in the pan, their under 21's played rightly last year and could have won a championship. I refereed their minors a few times over the years and they have strong players with decent stickwork. Knowing Kevo he will certainly have them fired up for games, probably come on himself if needs be ;) And he's managed these lads right through juvenile so he'll have their respect also. All good factors, Good shout for Intermediate.

So with respect DearyMe, Naomh Gall won't be taking Sarsfields lightly, with only one team up (every year >:() ya can't afford to give teams too many points!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: hardstation on April 26, 2012, 09:00:51 AM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on April 25, 2012, 11:12:04 PM
This Sarsfields team to be one to contend with over the next few years if they can keep all their young talent.

Something is wrong in Rossa. About 3 weeks ago, our South Antrim team stuffed a Sarsfields team that was not very different to their team last night, yet our seniors go out and lose to them.

"Way too much, much too young" is a school of thought for us.

I have to take issue with the HS after being at the game last night. The Sarsfields side were by far the younger team! Your good underage players simply have not stepped up to the mark. For what it's worth they actually looked more physically imposing than Sarsfields - but were time and time again out-fought. I am not sure (particularly compared to Sars) your team is as young as you think! Too much? Its division2 hurling they are not being asked to run out on Croke Park in front of 80,000 like some younger inter-county player do! You did have a young lad in corner forward who hit frees - he was actually your only decent performer. Thats the second game I have seen Rossa play this year - St galls out-fought them and I think MR2 will be happy with their bunch of young hurlers also? Age is certainly not the Rossa problem Hardstation - for me there is no steel in the majority of the players who have replaced your Div1 sides of the past - they have had 3/4 seasons at it now. Thats the evidence on the pitch and according to your own guys - the absence of others is also evidence of a lack of heart for it! I have alot of time for Rossa so as I say I am not winding up but I think this has been the reality this season and the one before that etc. Sometimes excuses are not enough.

Anyone with more Sarsfield knowledge there? Not really aware of their team or the names of many of the lads but looks really bright. Also, Kevo McKiernan was so relaxed and seemed to have his side trying to hurl. This is a marked changed from Sarsfields teams I have seen in the past - great to see.

MR2 nice of ballycastle to offer up their pitch?
I think thats a convincing win - and a trip up the coast chalked off big bonus. How much will the football take away during the year? Is it for players being opted out or natural injuries? This team can really make the step up to Div1. It has been a bit of a yo-yo promotion/relegation but I see Galls staying up if they get there. St Johns and the Ards teams would struggle with Galls mix of hard garft and guile.

Intersting also to hear of Micko red card - how will this affect county? Or will the clunty affect the suspension if you get my drift?! Great result for the Lamh Dearg men also mind you. And shows Oisins there for taking over the course if Galls just stay consistent.

btdtgtt

Surely any players absent would help the cause! And again I dont be be a rumour monger but I stood with the Rossa crowd last night and all three of your games have featured absentees for frivilous reasons. Like I say, it's not the age of Rossa players that is stopping them from being big boys (remember other sides are younger) - being men and being senior hurlers is what is needed? You know better than me but that the perspective I get without knowing the personalities directly. On this basis I dont see Rossa picking up many points certainly not on the road. Its a far cry from running Loughiel close - what has changed in the set-up? Or are the players like I say lacking regular commitment - shameful. You dont have far to look to see other clubs with supposedly less potential stepping up to the plate.

btdtgtt

I would agree they played like kids!

But Kevo is the one playing the younger team in terms of age sure they are mostly his Under21 team - your squad is not young compared to other teams. Largely the same team been playing for several years now. I have seen time and time again the rationale of "we are a young team etc" suddenly sneak up and the side is older and experienced but still playing on the same excuse. Outside of that wee corner forward - who were these Rossa kids? I am trying to go though your team in my head and granted its mostly guys in their young 20s - but this is the typical age of hurlers now and they have all several years experience in this league. How long will Rossa trot out excuses for them HS? Like I say, other younger teams on your doorstep have caught up and passed this generation already. Your underage success does not bode well for senior.
Another one off effort for championship to be glorious losers? What happened that momentum from the tail end of last season?

NAG1

Serious gripe there btdtgtt

Looking in from the outside obviously Rossa have had a difficult couple of weeks with losing their manager and the start of their season being disrupted. With the division being so close these are the type of things that can make the difference at this level.

Milltown Row2

There is no real momentum you can use from 'last season'. New managers come in different players and a long break means momentum is lost.

Shannon is young and the fullbackline is young for Rossa also, Beattie couldn't be that old also and as you say the wee lad up front is quality. Rossa bar the usual suspects are a young team, Younger than us.

Kevo has taken a chance and so far so good. they have momentum and will be difficult to stop. Never played against a Sarsfield team that didn't have fight and i doubt they will ever lose that.

I have no doubt that Rossa can make an impression in Championship, but with the fall out of the coach it will take a couple of weeks before AH finds his real team.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Yes I take all those points and apologies if I sound anti-Rossa but I did regard them as contenders.

No doubt some genuine reasons for absences - injuries - but it was Rossa men on the hill that told me some excuses were not genuine.
Full backs? Bell was FB for last nights goals, Shannon at CB has been on this team for several years experience now and has been on county panel so dont see youth as issue the. Most of the team are from this age group coming thru and I dont see them as up to the task of promotion despite many goes at it before you know it time slips on - it has started already with younger Sarsfield team pipping them.

If I am too negative on Rossa maybe we can look at the Wing McCullough legacy as having a bad effect or injuries but if AH takes it on again he will have his work cut out alright.

Last Man

Quote from: hardstation on April 26, 2012, 12:39:12 PM
Mark Devlin broke his leg against Lamh Dhearg too. Another big loss. That's 5 of our main men missing. Very disappointing start alright but we'll see what the rest of the season brings.
Sorry to hear that about Sparky. decent fella

manballandall

Now HS don't be biting but I have been told by a rossa man that a few of the more talented young fellas in rossa have no desire to improve or succeed. Can take it or leave it. Peronally I was very impressed with rossa, they are a big big side with great stickwork. Personally thought they were lacking leadership and a game plan but those are things that can be worked on and maybe AH is the man to do that

NAG1

Long way to August  ;)

btdtgtt

All valid points we seem to be arriving at similar conclusion apologies Rossa but true.
Might have thought promotion to Div1 more important than a performance in August Hardstation?
For example, St Galls put in big championships but have started the league with more commitment.
I must be just annoyed at Rossa for getting me soaked last night!

Anyone know when the Ulster league final is? This weekend? Casement?
Would have like to seen Dall V Loughiel.

Milltown Row2

Last year we had a great start to the league, won all our games leading up to the Ballycastle game, then the wheels came off and due to other commitments our manager had to step down and we went into free fall in the league, but put 3/4 weeks effort into training leading up to Championship.

We have had a stronger panel this year and players who were injured or committed to county football are hurling for the club, better panel with 'regulars' now fitting for places. Still no training but hopefully we'll put that right soon. Heard manager told them they aren't training till they lose a match!!! :o

Lecale2

QuoteAnyone know when the Ulster league final is? This weekend? Casement?

Casement Saturday @ 1.15pm.

El Plato

Quote from: NAG1 on April 26, 2012, 02:14:46 PM
Long way to August  ;)
Aye, but which August? Now therein lies the  question!
"I should have utilised the Spell Check" El Pato.