Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron89

Quote from: JamesH on April 04, 2012, 04:47:56 PM
Just heard the result from the Foresters Cup, Garron Tower(St Killian's) beat St Marys by 2 points today in Ballymena, an unreal result for the Tower, first Foresters since 1975. Sambos son Christy net ed to steal it near the end, hes a great talent. The Dall must have had at least 6 on the team, Larne 4 . Just proves guts and application wins every time. Those lads will all line out tonight against Shamrocks in the First round of the Darragh Cup, fair play to the they've taken quite a few hammerings at the hands of St Mary's in the last few years.

reckon you are well off with the date, early 90's they won a foresters.  beating cross and passion.  but a great win none the less.

oisinog

Quote from: saffron89 on April 04, 2012, 08:42:18 PM
Just heard the result from the Foresters Cup, Garron Tower(St Killian's) beat St Marys by 2 points today in Ballymena, an unreal result for the Tower, first Foresters since 1975. Sambos son Christy net ed to steal it near the end, hes a great talent. The Dall must have had at least 6 on the team, Larne 4 . Just proves guts and application wins every time. Those lads will all line out tonight against Shamrocks in the First round of the Darragh Cup, fair play to the they've taken quite a few hammerings at the hands of St Mary's in the last few years.

reckon you are well off with the date, early 90's they won a foresters.  beating cross and passion.  but a great win none the less.

Someone on here said 17 years ago. I think that was the team Johnny tosh would have been on

saffron89

oisinog are you condifent of the oisins chances in gaining promotion.  all information helpful, going to put £40 on with a friend from work that they get promoted. 

imtommygunn

What age group is forresters? Is it 2nd year or 5th year?

the colonel

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 04, 2012, 10:30:16 PM
What age group is forresters? Is it 2nd year or 5th year?

5th. St Marys would have a fair number of the Rossa U16s and St Johns Minors. Young Johnston was also playing for St Marys along with a number of the players who represented them when they won the O'Keefe Cup according to the Irish News today
the difference between success and failure is energy

imtommygunn

First year of combination is it not too? Maybe it could be good for the hurling there...

saffronog

hoping the combination / amalgamation of st pats and st louis could do the same trick.

manballandall

Are we not getting carried away here? Good win and all that but let's not pressure on the kids cos that's what they are and let's not make them believe they are something special just yet. Think a lot of problem with young promising stars these days is that they think they are better than they actually are and because of that don't listen to advice from others, think they know it all. Then come senior all these promising young stars very rarely shine and it is the ones that didn't have the limelight when they were young that actually make an impact at senior. I have seen it at so many clubs.

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 04, 2012, 04:36:59 PM
Quote from: manballandall on April 04, 2012, 03:57:44 PM
Anyone in mind MR?

Doesnt give any manager much chance at this stage. Would all your hurlers be involved playing football and therefore have been able to maintain a level of fitness although that doesnt take away from the need for stickwork ?

They are fit, a lot of young lads and with us who have been hurling with school, county minor and college, two senior county players also, so not all bad. Only having big Aidso on the county football panel we might be able to have McLean back playing for us and Burkey will be available to play more league games than before. With the county team usually training on nights the hurlers play it was stopping us from bringing strong teams up the county.

The panel this year could be a lot stronger and with more experience. All the McGourty's could be playing also

That might put off potential managers  ;)

imtommygunn

Quote from: manballandall on April 05, 2012, 07:43:18 AM
Are we not getting carried away here? Good win and all that but let's not pressure on the kids cos that's what they are and let's not make them believe they are something special just yet. Think a lot of problem with young promising stars these days is that they think they are better than they actually are and because of that don't listen to advice from others, think they know it all. Then come senior all these promising young stars very rarely shine and it is the ones that didn't have the limelight when they were young that actually make an impact at senior. I have seen it at so many clubs.

Well boys like McManus and Graffin came through that school and were starring at that age.

It's rare schools like that win those competitions so it's good to see.

No-one is saying an All Ireland will be won out of this!

oisinog

Quote from: saffron89 on April 04, 2012, 10:19:44 PM
oisinog are you condifent of the oisins chances in gaining promotion.  all information helpful, going to put £40 on with a friend from work that they get promoted.

I think we will go up but if it was me I would not put £40 on it.

There are a lot of good teams in the second division I think the league will be closer than a lot of people think

Megaman

Quote from: saffron89 on April 04, 2012, 08:42:18 PM

Correct Saffron, JamesH, is well off with his dates, btw, this is St Killians first Foresters win.

Garron Tower won it in the 90's beating C&P, team mainly backboned by Cushendall & Cushendun players if i remember correctly

was at the game yesterday and it was a very good game of hurling

JamesH

I could have been well off with the dates, but hey still a great win all the same, i dint agree that too much pressure is put on these kids too soon, only 2/3 will star at senior level but sure that's the same with any young team, young Burke who hurled chb yesterday had a stormer last night again in the Darragh cup, against the Shamrock who apart from young Carey in full back were afoul the score was 4-18. 0-2 Shamrocks didn't score for 55 Min's. Sambos son Christy is hurling daft and with the work he puts in I'd fancy him to become a senior his stick work is better than Shane's. There's also a kid from Larne on the team Cory beggs who is only 13/14 who could be a great prospect, and the young lad from Glenarm is Hugh Pat Magill is a great kid gutsy tenacious but stick work not great but that could improve, lots of others i didn't mention that could do it but that's the interesting bit for us coaches now to help them achieve their goals.

saffron89

Saffron youngsters delight 'Sambo'
05 April 2012

Antrim minor hurling manager Terence McNaughtonTerence McNaughton believes Antrim hurling has a very bright future.

'Sambo' is in charge of the minor team that has just completed a Leinster MHL and Ulster MHL double and he enthuses in today's Irish News:

"We've looked at around 57 players and we've won all our matches in Ulster and won all our matches in Leinster.

"We used a team in each league and I'm trying to train next year's minor team as well. I've got 16-, 17-year-olds with me and they'll be county minors next year.

"But it's a credit to all the players who were able to be successful in two leagues.

"We'll sit down and pick a panel and go forward with it and have next year's team ready. But I'm hopeful about the future after watching the players in both the Ulster and Leinster leagues."

Article above from hoganstand

good to see a bit of interest being stirred up.  Great to see our participation in Leinster & Ulster

johnneycool

It's Leinster minus the big teams, but at least Antrim are making an effort at this grade unlike ourselves.