John Kerr
Adrian Downey
Barry McFall
Barney Mc Auley
Joey Scullion
Declan Lynch
Colm McFall
Sean Mc Laughlin

That's the team the colonel, would you pick that team from the panel named?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

the colonel

With only getting to the Wexford game personally (and hearing reports from players), changes I would make would be to have Joey Scullion in, but I'm not sure who I would have out. When all Loughgiel players come back I would have Johnny Campbell and Watson included.

the difference between success and failure is energy

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on March 29, 2012, 12:46:08 PM
After last week, Conor Carson should not be anywhere near it.

Say what ya see, Hardstation. Hard to rubbish your own team mates. Unfair of me to ask the colonel that ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Two glaring weaknesses on the team MH and CC, no where near the standard at this level and surely will be sacrificed later in the year.

btdtgtt

Surely Michael Herron is going through a bad patch and will come good - you mean only Carson will be sacrificed? I thinks thats fair especially given the Loughiel boys that can play in his position (wherever that really is).
Its starting to look like a good starting line-up, not so sure how strong the bench will be.
I think an easy dispatch of Westmeath followed by handy loss to Galway - predictable as usual regardless of how we improve or not. Makes me think a re-structure of the whole championship is needed.

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 29, 2012, 01:41:26 PM
Surely Michael Herron is going through a bad patch and will come good - you mean only Carson will be sacrificed? I thinks thats fair especially given the Loughiel boys that can play in his position (wherever that really is).
Its starting to look like a good starting line-up, not so sure how strong the bench will be.
I think an easy dispatch of Westmeath followed by handy loss to Galway - predictable as usual regardless of how we improve or not. Makes me think a re-structure of the whole championship is needed.

I think it has been consistently show that MH isnt up to this level stick work or in other ways too. He is definitely not a CHF.

IMO a CHF has to one of two things either a bully to work with the CHB and keep him quiet or a ball player that the team goes through dragging the CHB around HB altering the shape of the opposing defence. MH is neither of these but as I say thats just my opinion.

Shamrockman

Its from now on that players will have to nail a place down, not many games left til c'ship. I prefer Simon McCrory as a back but i suppose we have an abundance of defenders so no harm pushing him up the field. Great athlete and strength, maybe lacks a little on the creative side.  Carson and Herron have point to prove but maybe we will get a look at a few of the lads on the bench and see how the team balances. Diffcult to know where we stand as Watson/Campbell not back and if the team is going to work as a unit they need to play as a unit in as many games as possible.

imtommygunn

Herron doesn't have a good work-rate and really needs to improve it, in my view, if he's to be a starter come championship. Quite a few times on sunday he would have lost possession or CHB would have gained possession and he wasn't tracked at all. Ife he improves his work-rate then he should be in with a shout of WHF but not CHF.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Shamrockman on March 29, 2012, 02:02:00 PM
Its from now on that players will have to nail a place down, not many games left til c'ship. I prefer Simon McCrory as a back but i suppose we have an abundance of defenders so no harm pushing him up the field. Great athlete and strength, maybe lacks a little on the creative side.  Carson and Herron have point to prove but maybe we will get a look at a few of the lads on the bench and see how the team balances. Diffcult to know where we stand as Watson/Campbell not back and if the team is going to work as a unit they need to play as a unit in as many games as possible.

No guarantee that Campbell will start either in fairness. All good though, better having a strong panel, should you get a chance to nail a position on the team then great.

I'd like us to have a championship look about us on Sunday, good attitude and passion. The sun should still be shinning (just about) and the pitch should still be hard. Casement looked in great condition on Sunday.

btdtgtt

Ok I'll give you guys that on Herron - maybe its my Belfast bias or I havent seen enough of the county games this year - but I will say its a good thing if the likes of Michael is getting pushed for his place. Although I notice he is vice-captain so Wallace must rate him.

As for Johnny Campbell - number 7 in front of Gettins all day long. I rate him very highly think he's a certain starter. Don't see how you could not pick him MR2.

Shamrockman

in fairness to gettens its his position to lose at the minute, and if he doesnt put a foot wrong then he'l be difficult to drop. but the defence is not the trouble here and rarely is. its gettin the front 6 or even front 8 (mid field included) working together with a high intensity that will be the key. if they make it difficult for opposing defenders to clear the ball coupled with a bit more clinical finishing then it leaves the teams that bit tighter for that bit longer and as the belief grows then results shouldnt be too far away. sounds siple but all boils down to work rate, desire and working as a team. I really dont think the ability is too much in question.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 29, 2012, 02:30:13 PM
Ok I'll give you guys that on Herron - maybe its my Belfast bias or I havent seen enough of the county games this year - but I will say its a good thing if the likes of Michael is getting pushed for his place. Although I notice he is vice-captain so Wallace must rate him.

As for Johnny Campbell - number 7 in front of Gettins all day long. I rate him very highly think he's a certain starter. Don't see how you could not pick him MR2.

Winning team mentality??

Gettins hasn't played badly so until he's exposed or injured then why not?

As already alluded to here, we have an abundance of defenders. I've no doubt come Championship, Johnny will get his place and he has had a brilliant season so I'm not saying he's shite.

btdtgtt

Yeah probably a bit of winning team stuff and all that - sure Gettins has done well but I just genuinely think JC is a better and more proven player.

I agree fully that our defence is generally sound, but up front is where we lack.

But this is an issue all over hurling for me!
Its top quality scoring forwards that dictate a teams success (think Shefflin Kilkenny, think Kelly/Corbett Tipp, think Canning Galway). Its true at club level also.

And when it comes down to this - I simply dont think we have the physicality or ABILITY to challenge the top teams.

But hey, thats for a different day. Lets hope we can do it on Sunday!

the colonel

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2012, 12:51:31 PM

Say what ya see, Hardstation. Hard to rubbish your own team mates. Unfair of me to ask the colonel that ;)

Had an idea of what your at Milltown! As I said I have only seen one game so I can't comment alot of players form. In defence on Conor, he  wasn't even on the bench for the games before last week, and has maybe played one club game so it would be unfair to give off about him when he hasn't really struck leather at all this year. Jerry seems to be pulling strange selections the odd time.  I am hoping getting the goal has given him a lift and hope he improves again for Sunday. Getting game time is the only way to improve.

It's the same with players getting shifted about the place, they need consistency to perform also
the difference between success and failure is energy

Milltown Row2

Quote from: the colonel on March 29, 2012, 03:12:53 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2012, 12:51:31 PM

Had an idea of what your at Milltown! As I said I have only seen one game so I can't comment alot of players form. In defence on Conor, he  wasn't even on the bench for the games before last week, and has maybe played one club game so it would be unfair to give off about him when he hasn't really struck leather at all this year. Jerry seems to be pulling strange selections the odd time.  I am hoping getting the goal has given him a lift and hope he improves again for Sunday. Getting game time is the only way to improve.

It's the same with players getting shifted about the place, they need consistency to perform also

I'm a bollox, but as you say game time will improve most players, before he scored I was going WTF. but it was the score that injected life into us. Took 50 minutes though :o