Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on March 06, 2012, 12:27:53 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 06, 2012, 12:20:55 PM
I understand that and certainly a bit of core strength helps balance and striking and that can be worked on in conjunction with technique which is more important particularly in the likes of 13, 14, 15 year olds. We'd a lad centre back a few years ago, six pack, could run all day but his striking and first touch was awful. I used to say to him he'd be better trying to put the ball over the bar from 70 yards rather than running 70 yards.
I just think there's enough time for the gym, weights when you're out of minor and then its programs to produce speed and agility rather than bulk which isn't the be all and end all in hurling thankfully.

For every athlete who can't hurl JC there'd be 4 or 5 boys who can hurl but wouldn't have the best mobility or strength. I don't think that anybody would argue that strength and conditioning should not be worked into hurling training sessions, so I don't think we're that far away from agreeing with each other.

True, I just think that some youngsters develop physically at different rates and nature should take its course before we start this stuff.

I'm weary of ill resourced initiatives apeing what other teams/counties do but they do it right!

btdtgtt

For clarity;

I dont think you can succeed at the highest level without the strength work in the gym.

But lads at U-14 should not be focussed more on skills and matches than physical fitness.

And at senior level - I just think in the last number of years we have seem some people put so much emphasis on gym/weights that they neglect the skills of the game.

But yes - I fully acknowledge the need for strength / gym / weights etc - I just think there balance has shifted towards this at the expense of skills.

I understand southern hurlers seem bigger and stronger - but they are also alot quicker to control the sliotar and move it on.

Both are needed - but I think we need to concentrate younger lads on the skills of the game.

As for the point from Michael Johnson - did he hurl much?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on March 06, 2012, 02:36:32 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on March 06, 2012, 02:21:45 PM
For clarity;

I dont think you can succeed at the highest level without the strength work in the gym.

But lads at U-14 should not be focussed more on skills and matches than physical fitness.

And at senior level - I just think in the last number of years we have seem some people put so much emphasis on gym/weights that they neglect the skills of the game.

But yes - I fully acknowledge the need for strength / gym / weights etc - I just think there balance has shifted towards this at the expense of skills.

I understand southern hurlers seem bigger and stronger - but they are also alot quicker to control the sliotar and move it on.

Both are needed - but I think we need to concentrate younger lads on the skills of the game.

As for the point from Michael Johnson - did he hurl much?
Played for the Johnnies 'til minor.

Hurled against Jonty for  a few years, he played a fair bit for the Davitts, mainly played up front.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Its a habit they need to get comfortable with early in life and hopefully stick with if they have any ambitions for playing top grade hurling. Very few gym dodgers left in the game now.

theskull1

Quote from: johnneycool on March 06, 2012, 02:17:14 PM
True, I just think that some youngsters develop physically at different rates and nature should take its course before we start this stuff.

I'm weary of ill resourced initiatives apeing what other teams/counties do but they do it right!

JC ...very few young lads as anywhere near as active as they should be day in day out (adults are as bad), so nature is taking it's course as we speak and young lads are suffering for it.

Your second point is very relevant I think. What might work for Rocky (III) will do more harm than good for young lads
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

btdtgtt

Michael Johnson - from Davitts to Barcelona 92!
From nippy corner forward to 400m world record!

What a man!

And for his final trick - from St Johns to ?????

Sham Man

Quote from: Hirty Darry on March 06, 2012, 10:36:36 AM
"Sham Man", your cover has obviously been blown - this would not go down well if it got into the public domain.  My advice to you would be to walk away from this now to save face!
Enlighten me lad, how has my cover been blown?   And why should I need to save face?  As stated previously and I will reiterate,  I am not who you lads think I am, I want to really emphasize that. I have confirmed this with other members on antrim gaaboard.  I too can create my own deflections, as do others who add posts.  You are not the Inspector Cluesaus's you may think you are.  I really cannot understand the challenges to my integrity and identity.
Shamrocks are winners!

saffronog

most important is the development of the skillls and they should be in place around u14 level or else it will be difficult there after.  core and lifting your own body weight is what is required then to the end of minors for hurlers.  After that you can go to gyms etc and work on the required muscles. it's all about skills, speed and determination. 

lonely1

A virgin poster, some crack on this site this last few weeks, so in short I'm hooked! Look forward to a bit of banter to say the least, I'm from SW so be gentle and don't hold that against me.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: saffronog on March 06, 2012, 05:27:26 PM
most important is the development of the skillls and they should be in place around u14 level or else it will be difficult there after.  core and lifting your own body weight is what is required then to the end of minors for hurlers.  After that you can go to gyms etc and work on the required muscles. it's all about skills, speed and determination.

The skills in fairness should be well developed before the age of 14, striking off both sides on the move, fielding, soloing, hooking blocking, dips, be they one handed or two. I managed our under 12's when the Johnnies first got that good team together, they were doing this stuff at under 12, by the age of 14 they were doing the same stuff, only quicker, sharper and with less mistakes.

Was great to see, though as a manager it was hard on the kids taking those beatings. I've refereed them a fair bit also and sometimes you have to catch yourself on, as i nearly clapped at some of the scores they took.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: lonely1 on March 06, 2012, 05:36:34 PM
A virgin poster, some crack on this site this last few weeks, so in short I'm hooked! Look forward to a bit of banter to say the least, I'm from SW so be gentle and don't hold that against me.

It's all NA when it comes to hurling lonely1. Are you sure you're in the right thread  :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on March 06, 2012, 05:39:51 PM

It's all NA when it comes to hurling lonely1. Are you sure you're in the right thread  :)

Hey some Belfast lads like hurling too ya know ;)

theskull1

Quote from: Sham Man on March 06, 2012, 05:09:23 PM
I really cannot understand the challenges to my integrity and identity.

You really are a clampit if you cannot understand that. After 3 attempts to remind you I'm still waiting for that yes/no reply. I think we're all in agreement on that

theskull1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 06, 2012, 05:41:13 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 06, 2012, 05:39:51 PM

Hey some Belfast lads like hurling too ya know ;)

Easy Easy

Was referring to SW specifically milltown. Theres no such place when it comes to hurling. I believe hurling is played up in belfast as well  :)

lonely1

Thanks TS1, I ended up in SW didn't start there though, SA was my original home for most of my playing career in both codes, so hope to float across both threads, but the wee ball always was the preference and still is.