Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

No sour grapes here, my point was simply that not to be rewriting history, people were starting to say after the event that they were a great side, my simple point was that they werent. I also stated that this didnt take away from LG's performance even if they were a better side you might still have beat them anyway.

Nearly every poster on here said LG were in with a great shout and that they would not be surprised with the win, hence the low key reaction on here.

My point before the game was that you's would need LW/ Eddie to have a wonder day for you to win and I was proven right. I must have been a lucky charm for LG, you should be thanking me instead of picking holes in my posts  :D

imtommygunn

The refereeing in that carlow game had to be seen to be believed. Antrim didn't get their first free until ~20 minutes into the game against a physical, not dirty, carlow side. There were frees to carlow which no-one could understand. To make matters worse, or better whatever way you look at it, he gave antrim a dodgy free for them to take the lead and ultimately win the game.

I wouldn't have been too happy with the display of Padraig Horan(I think it was him) for antrim against wexford in croke in the quarter one year either. Watson might have well have had a saddle on his back the treatment he was getting from Dave Guiney. He barely got a free and on a key occassion towards the end of the match he got accosted, wexford went up and won a dodgy free, took the lead from this free and went on to win.

There would also be a few other times that spring to mind but carlow was a farce and the wexford one wasn't too good either.

theskull1

It's blatantly clear that there are no shades of grey allowed, when it comes to giving opinions/perspectives on the teams/the game played at the weekend. Your either with us or agin us being the moto.

I actually think LG are in with a great chance of winning the AI club championship.
A) Because they put in a great team performance at the weekend and will give any team something to think about if they maintain that performance level.
B) Because they will not be facing a team like Birr, Athenry, Portumna in their prime who suffered SF defeats before becoming powerhouses at this level. Both teams are relative rookies.

No doubt those already "offended" will see this as a snipe rather than see comments like these as simple fact. I'm not quite sure why. Maybe they don't enjoy the praise from all quarters and prefer to take exception to anyone who would dare to suggest that NP weren't one of the best club teams to have came out of munster going on recent form.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north aontroim gael

Quote from: theskull1 on February 13, 2012, 04:24:10 PM
It's blatantly clear that there are no shades of grey allowed, when it comes to giving opinions/perspectives on the teams/the game played at the weekend. Your either with us or agin us being the moto.

I actually think LG are in with a great chance of winning the AI club championship.
A) Because they put in a great team performance at the weekend and will give any team something to think about if they maintain that performance level.
B) Because they will not be facing a team like Birr, Athenry, Portumna in their prime who suffered SF defeats before becoming powerhouses at this level. Both teams are relative rookies.

No doubt those already "offended" will see this as a snipe rather than see comments like these as simple fact. I'm not quite sure why. Maybe they don't enjoy the praise from all quarters and prefer to take exception to anyone who would dare to suggest that NP weren't one of the best club teams to have came out of munster going on recent form.

Would agree with this post.

Final will be tougher no doubt but the fact that both these teams are relatively new to this level of hurling a lot of it will come down to who handles the occasion.

Loughgiel didn't seem too fazed on Saturday and if they can bring that same composure and intensity on 17th then I will be a very happy man as I think we are in with a great chance.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 13, 2012, 04:23:27 PM
The refereeing in that carlow game had to be seen to be believed. Antrim didn't get their first free until ~20 minutes into the game against a physical, not dirty, carlow side. There were frees to carlow which no-one could understand. To make matters worse, or better whatever way you look at it, he gave antrim a dodgy free for them to take the lead and ultimately win the game.

I wouldn't have been too happy with the display of Padraig Horan(I think it was him) for antrim against wexford in croke in the quarter one year either. Watson might have well have had a saddle on his back the treatment he was getting from Dave Guiney. He barely got a free and on a key occassion towards the end of the match he got accosted, wexford went up and won a dodgy free, took the lead from this free and went on to win.

There would also be a few other times that spring to mind but carlow was a farce and the wexford one wasn't too good either.

Tommy,

Think I remember that we were denied a goal from Watson for another "square ball" that wasnt in that game where McFall knocked a ball back across the square to Winker standing outside the square who buried it early enough in the first half.

Milltown Row2

Look this is silly, many posters have said not just this year but for the past 4/5 years that the Munster champions have been very poor and have fallen down a grade or two. Leaving aside Loughgiels win I would have said that Cushendall should have beat a poor De La Salle team. Again if you want to check back there are numerous posts regarding the fact that Cushendall were the better team for most parts in that game.

Another pointer would be that the last Munster team (Newtownshandrum) to win was back in 2004 and before that 1996!! To the Loughgiel lads enjoy the win, plenty of punters laid money on ya's to win so that in itself should let ya know we all fancied a win.

Was also said before the game that Loughgiel needed to get their hands on the ball and not drop the puck outs and stop the panicking. They did, all those things and it came good, even Cushendall men down were clapping (through gritted teeth ;D)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

aontroim

Clarification from Ulster Council that Glenariffe wouldn't be able to take part in UIHC if they were to win the Antrim IHC, so I hear they have agreed to re-enter SHC at tonight's county meeting.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: aontroim on February 13, 2012, 10:43:06 PM
Clarification from Ulster Council that Glenariffe wouldn't be able to take part in UIHC if they were to win the Antrim IHC, so I hear they have agreed to re-enter SHC at tonight's county meeting.

Why couldn't they enter? Is there a so many years before they can re-enter?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

aontroim

Wasn't at the meeting MR, but almost sure I remember hearing before that there may be a 5-year exclusion from entering once you win a particular Ulster Club Junior or Intermediate C'ship.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: aontroim on February 13, 2012, 10:56:56 PM
Wasn't at the meeting MR, but almost sure I remember hearing before that there may be a 5-year exclusion from entering once you win a particular Ulster Club Junior or Intermediate C'ship.

Aye only right in fairness, is that an Ulster thing? I think there have been teams down south who have entered their own provincial championships

Minder

We last won it (or competed in it) in 2005, my last medal  :'(
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on February 13, 2012, 11:03:53 PM

Your only medal, lol

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2012, 11:10:00 PM
Quote from: Minder on February 13, 2012, 11:03:53 PM

Your only medal, lol

There weren't too many but they are valued  ;)
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theskull1

I wouldn't stand for that bit of sniping myself minder
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on February 13, 2012, 11:19:09 PM
I wouldn't stand for that bit of sniping myself minder

Ah bitta criac, at least he never came back with 'aye but'  ;)