Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Not bad odds. A mate of mine (Dunloy supporter) had a grand on Lg at 11/10 3 points up. He was visited yesterday. ;)

You're right skull. They're big favourites, and rightly so. :)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Buswhacker

Shamrocks........15/8. I'm having some of that.From what I saw at the weekend,Loughgiel shouldn't be unduly worried about Coolderry.Watching them on TV,some of their players looked ,quite frankly,unfit. Given the hype about the great Munster champions N.Par.and the subsequent result anything can happen. I don't think Cooldeery will be counting their chickens. Of course neither should we.

north aontroim gael

I was a proud man on Saturday.

What a performance by some group of players.  Showed character to come back from letting in a soft goal at the death.  Everyone played their part, was great to see.

Coolderry and Loughgiel played each other about 5/6 years ago in a friendly, was one of the best hurling matches I have seen.  Whilst personnel on both teams will have changed a good bit since then. these lads know they won't be far away on Paddys Day.

Fantastic support also on Saturday.

AQMP

Quote from: Buswhacker on February 13, 2012, 10:42:22 AM
Shamrocks........15/8. I'm having some of that.From what I saw at the weekend,Loughgiel shouldn't be unduly worried about Coolderry.Watching them on TV,some of their players looked ,quite frankly,unfit. Given the hype about the great Munster champions N.Par.and the subsequent result anything can happen. I don't think Cooldeery will be counting their chickens. Of course neither should we.

Paddy Power:

Coolderry 2/5 Loughgiel 9/4 Draw 10/1

9/4 is a BIG price for a team that have just handed the Munster chamipons their collective arse on a plate.  Well worth a few quid.

NAG1

I dont think anyone genuinely believed that they were a great side, everyone who knows anything about these games knew LG had a great chance of turning them over and did so.

wino

Quote from: NAG1 on February 13, 2012, 11:23:32 AM

I dont think anyone genuinely believed that they were a great side, everyone who knows anything about these games knew LG had a great chance of turning them over and did so.

NAG1 - your constantly on LG case. Full of snide remarks and always down on them. I take it NAG stands for north Antrim gael, the 1 I figure means your on your own.

NAG1

Wino, where was my snide comment there? I am just wary of people looking back now and starting to make out that Na P were a great side, they clearly werent. This is not taking away from the LG result as they showed great character to come back after the end to the game.

theskull1

No doubt that an intense all round team performance can make the best of teams look very ordinary. LG put in a great 80 minutes hurling and that shouldn't and I don't think it has been discounted. They played superbly and IMO at a level that they hadn't played at previously. NP's form however going into the match would also suggest that they weren't going well. The flatness of their performance against LG would line up with their form going into the game. I don't think thats an unfair statement to make wino. [head nodding]  ::)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

Irresepective of how they looked on saturday they won munster. To get through a munster championship when the likes of Cork and Tipp sides are in it you have to be a good side.

Let's be honest here for any antrim team to beat any munster team is a massive achievement. If they can beat a munster team then they have a chance in the final. It's a big ask yes but so was beating a munster team.

Incidentally did dunloy beat any munster teams in getting to their finals? I know they beat a few galway teams but did they beat any munster teams? (genuine question and not stirring when I ask it)

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 13, 2012, 03:11:58 PM
Irresepective of how they looked on saturday they won munster. To get through a munster championship when the likes of Cork and Tipp sides are in it you have to be a good side.

Let's be honest here for any antrim team to beat any munster team is a massive achievement. If they can beat a munster team then they have a chance in the final. It's a big ask yes but so was beating a munster team.

Incidentally did dunloy beat any munster teams in getting to their finals? I know they beat a few galway teams but did they beat any munster teams? (genuine question and not stirring when I ask it)

i think they beat Mount Sion
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

Yes they did. Was at it Mount Sion.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Magicsponge

They beat Mount Sion by a point in 2002/2003, they got beat by Birr in the final I think.

imtommygunn

Ah yes. A load of good waterford players were on that team too. Forgot about that one.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 12, 2012, 07:50:15 PM
Quote from: Fairhead on February 12, 2012, 06:49:45 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on February 12, 2012, 01:40:46 PM
I'm getting the distinct impression you aren't enamoured with me. Every time you've posted has been against me or LG. You're opinion, therefore, becomes irrelevant. Yes, we won. That is not the issue, if we were stuffed I'd have been saying the same thing. Maybe we should all be lambs like you and accept the status quot.

SIE what are you talking about? Did you read what i said in the context of what i was responding to? If not i will ask you a straightforward question; can you give me specific examples of "blatant anti-northern refereeing" by Anthony Stapleton in yesterdays game?
[/quot

actually that's the first time i have seen stapleton not shafting an antrim team. when we played offaly two years ago in Parnell we where leading by a point and he played well on after injury time was over and awarded Shane Dooley a very dubious free for them to level. we lost in extra time ill never forgive him for that or when he was in charge the same year antrim v carlow in casement the bias that night was blatant against antrim. but i thought he had a good game yesterday for a change

Hound,

was at both the Offaly and Carlow games.

Not sure you could (overly) criticise the ref for the late free to Dooley to equalise - my memory is that he was tripped / fell over an outstretched leg (in respect of a ball that should have long previously been cleared) and was the sort of thing a ref will always give to a team one point down. What I do clearly remember was an unbelievable swipe by the Antrim keeper about a foot over the ball and into the Offaly forward along the end line and no where near the goals half way through the first half which got only a yellow.

As for the Carlow match, he gave a square ball for an Antrim goal while standing 40 yards away which his umpires didnt see as being a square ball. On the other hand, he gave Winker a soft enough penalty (to my eyes). My main memory is that he consistently penalised Antrim players who waved the stick in front of free takers (which he didnt do on Saturday, funny enough). I dont know what was more frustrating - the fact that he kept penalising it or the fact that Antrim players kept doing it!!

In relation to Saturday, none of his decisions (or indeed non-decisions) had any huge bearing on the match - surely that's all you want from a ref?

Buswhacker

Nag1......."I don't anyone genuinely believed that they were a great side"..............another " aye but".....see page 978. Despite the fact that they were Munster champions, we should have known they were rubbish. Why would L G  have beaten them otherwise ? I've never heard so many people, both on and off this forum trying to making excuses for LG WINNING. Get a life try and hide your sour grapes.