Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicsponge

I was thinking along the lines of bringing Tyrone teams into Derry and Armagh teams into Down etc..., kind of like the Ulster league but more competitive. This might be a bit hard due to travelling distances between counties.
Hurling needs to be played in schools, across Ulster most schools don't have a hurling team but have a football team. Schools will make students play Gaelic football in P.E but not hurling, more children need to be exposed to the sport because, as it stands, bucket loads of children in several ulster counties will never ever hold a hurling stick in their lives.
I've read several articles/books written by hurlers from big hurling counties and the school seems to play a very important part in developing young hurlers

DearyMe

Ok so the holistic long term approach?

schools? yes- spot on!

proper forward thinking coaching in clubs!

Like idea about leagues but Ulster League can provide this!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

btdtgtt

Some decent points lads.

I dont think we can rely on schools though! Bottom line is that teachers are there to deliver subject and exam grades so we cannot assume they are going to promote hurling. To be honest it is not what they are there for. It is the clubs which will remain the nucleus. Putting paid coaching staff into schools is perhaps something to solve this - but we discussed this before that for one reason or another Antrim have failed miserably here!

In terms of promoting hurling in weaker counties - for many this is a finance issue. Hurls, Sliotars and helmets are an expense not incurred to the same levels with gaelic football so these clubs will need help from HQ if it is to happen.

I like the idea of an Ulster league. Fair enough we will have to think about fixture making but the 9counties are more accessible and less familiarity of teams will benefit all - perhaps the Ulster league should repalce county leagues. I can think of a number of benefits here but then do Ulster council want to administer issues?

NAG1

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 26, 2011, 02:53:22 PM
Some decent points lads.

I dont think we can rely on schools though! Bottom line is that teachers are there to deliver subject and exam grades so we cannot assume they are going to promote hurling. To be honest it is not what they are there for. It is the clubs which will remain the nucleus. Putting paid coaching staff into schools is perhaps something to solve this - but we discussed this before that for one reason or another Antrim have failed miserably here!

In terms of promoting hurling in weaker counties - for many this is a finance issue. Hurls, Sliotars and helmets are an expense not incurred to the same levels with gaelic football so these clubs will need help from HQ if it is to happen.

I like the idea of an Ulster league. Fair enough we will have to think about fixture making but the 9counties are more accessible and less familiarity of teams will benefit all - perhaps the Ulster league should repalce county leagues. I can think of a number of benefits here but then do Ulster council want to administer issues?

No is the short answer to that btdtgtt.

I agree in the long term schools are the key and the commitment is a massive aspect which needs to be addressed.

One short term point IMO should be that JW should be asked to either provide a few coaching sessions for our coaches to come along and have a look at or go around the clubs and reinvigorate the coaches that are on the ground (not just stopping and one club like his predecessor  ;))

I know its a short term gain but could be a viable one to get going.

saffronog

Schools the key, we used to play a primary school league against cushendun, corkey, glenariff, armoy but now teachers have a lot more deadlines.to keep and.male teachers especially in the primary are scarce.  Mate of mine teaches and he claims the county doesn't even supply balls.  Coaching, coaching and more coaching is key, coupled with games, games, blitzs etc.  County should fund underage as.much as.possible through giving budgets to schools and clubs for this.  Development officers.needed here. 

btdtgtt

All of the above very true saffronog - which is why we can't rely on schools! Don't forget the whole set up there actually discourages teachers from taking teams nowadays - many reasons but thats fact. Antrim paid officials are not doing their jobs. Therefore I think clubs primary organ - after all this is where the kids are in the summer hurling months!

maxpower

First of all, if men neglecting their families is the answer to raising our standards then i hope the malaise remains. 

2 key points to this question, firstly what is our aim as an organisation, is it to produce elite players, capable of mixing with the cats et al; or is success developing and increasing the number of players and opportunities to play.  To different measures and to be honest I think for hurling our primary aim should be encouraging bigger take up within current clubs.

In saying that I think plenty could be done to improve both
- primary schools, forget about sending coaches in during class time, waste of time,
The session will envitably be aimed at the complete novices, have it agrees hook for the children who want to hurl, whose parents buy into it, get league games going and blitz's.

- secondary schools, wtf goes on in north Antrim that until cross and passion none of the
School achieved anything, get hurling men into to take the teams, get rid of the college and vocational system and have one schools competition, get the techs involved in these also

- university should be a platform to make anname for yourself as a hurler, UUJ under dick O'Kane seemed to be making progress, how good for these young fella if a couple of quality players from the southern teams could be encouraged up ala the sigerson teams

- the dunsilly should involve a full time strength and conditioning coach, all development teams get programmes and are regularly tested for improvements and sins of burn out

- clubs that show a willingness to fully engage in nursery programmes to be given financial support
What happens next????

btdtgtt

Some great points maxpower!

I agree with all - except I an not sure how the St marys Belfast brethren will agree with your cross&passion comment! St marys are by far the most successful school at mageean and an incredible number represent county (granted limited all Ireland impact in A comp).

Our universities remain miles behind but this is different issue due to them competing against totally different set up in south (Bursaries & entrance criteria). Still at this stage progression is complete most are senior level already nowadays.

But I think u hit nail on the head on schools - clubs are and will remain the most effective breeding ground. Fact of life - gaa clubs promote gaa as no.1 priority - schools priority is exams.

Magicsponge

I wasn't thinking of taking time out of lessons to play hurling, I was thinking along the lines of introducing it into the PE curriculum (if there is such a thing) or coaching sessions after school or at lunch time. I never played hurling at PE. I played Gaelic, soccer, volley ball, gymnastics, cricket, basketball etc.. but never once played hurling. Its not as if there was no equipment, there was sticks and helmets that the girls used (well actually, I didn't see them using them either)

saffronog

U know max that last point very good, cross passion done well, hurling men in other schools, there are a good few problem is they teach.  Like many good hurlers out there many work and dont have time to coach. friend teaches and trains school but we can'tvget him to train club, lazy bastard. Belfast schools always strong due to nos.  My old school in dire straights, used to be tops with shams, and dunloy players , now we are in b competition.  Tower seems to be on way back.  But cp and maghera main teams.

maxpower

Why does the iPhone automatically change words, after school became agrees hook - wtf

I was also referring to North Antrim Schools when I mentioned C&P
What happens next????

theskull1

Quote from: DearyMe on October 26, 2011, 02:22:04 PM

1) commitment - i mean real commitment, a new level, the wife needs to accept it, and if we want to throw young families and other things in the way then we dont really have it. Harsh but true!  How did Eddie Brennan make the all ireland final after not playing much in the months before it? complete dedication!!

Quote from: maxpower on October 26, 2011, 09:28:04 PM
First of all, if men neglecting their families is the answer to raising our standards then i hope the malaise remains. 

In the context of dearyme's comment I can see where you're coming from Max. But more commitment from parents who have kids who are involved in the game would make a massive difference to even the well established clubs. If you go to up and coming clubs like St Endas, Bredagh, Carryduff, they all have one thing in common....and that is a large number of interested parents (i.e. parents who are prepared to play a part in their childs development within that GAA club). Alot of them will not have played the game but there is enough expertise to bed in the basics and they can help and develop their coaching skills on the way. Just how that message can be communicated and accepted by parents is one I don't have an answer for ecause I think it should be a natural thing for them to WANT to do but I do believe there are too many who are prepared to leave too few to do what they can rather than them play their part and make the experience for all so much better (in terms of team moral, support, discipline, success, funding, enjoyment etc). Many hands make light work

The other stuff I agree with.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

maxpower

I don't think we're in disagreement there Skull, my point was purely at the suggestion players should sacrifice family life for hurling, plenty of room for a young family at club level, but unfortunately it very difficult especially for players of a low profile.

Parental commitment is a whole different issue and I fully agree too many leave to too few, and with no excuses
What happens next????

Last Man

Quote from: maxpower on October 27, 2011, 07:16:51 AM
I don't think we're in disagreement there Skull, my point was purely at the suggestion players should sacrifice family life for hurling, plenty of room for a young family at club level, but unfortunately it very difficult especially for players of a low profile.

Parental commitment is a whole different issue and I fully agree too many leave to too few, and with no excuses
Not sure any of us would suggest that you should sacrafice family life Max but rather we try to make it part of family life, isn't that what the GAA is about?  Little reason why, except in special circumstances why we can't make it fit.
"Boiler" wives/girl friends have a lot to answer for!!  :D so young lads beware of this problem.

DearyMe

My post does not suggest excluding a father from the upbringing of his children!
I am realistic ( i did know my post would be rubbished - interpretation is an annoying existence at times)

But yes, too many distractions in the north,all the'same olds'- but real commitment to our games is the only way to succeed.
I dont think dipping the toe in will make ulster a success - the gaa is a way of life and as such commitment (as skull suggests) is essential - gotta live and breathe it! and that means the whole family!!!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!