Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gelvis

"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

the colonel

the difference between success and failure is energy

Seamroga in exile

It's looking like the senior reserve championship coming our way as well.

Half time:

LG 2-07 Dunloy 0-02

*edit

FT:

LG 3-14 Dunloy 0-03

Ouch!!!!
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

maxpower

A team full of players that have been training flat out for the last few months beat a team that haven't trained at all and had to bring a couple of men back from retirement just to fulfill the fixture!

It's horrible losing to Loughgiel in any game, but surely the result of this one was always likely. Don't know why they ruin this competition by playing it at this time of year, a run out as a sub in championship and you're gone, get it played off in May
What happens next????

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: maxpower on October 15, 2011, 06:38:38 PM
A team full of players that have been training flat out for the last few months beat a team that haven't trained at all and had to bring a couple of men back from retirement just to fulfill the fixture!

It's horrible losing to Loughgiel in any game, but surely the result of this one was always likely. Don't know why they ruin this competition by playing it at this time of year, a run out as a sub in championship and you're gone, get it played off in May

agree with that. They done that in Derry a couple of seasons ago, ran the RFC off on 4 successive friday nights in May/June from 1st round to final. Was very successful. Not sure why the didnt do i this year. Semis were in midweek just past
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Seamroga in exile

We're Dunloy not training up to 3 or 4 weeks ago? Hell, I heard they went to Tipperary to train, even with a state of the art facility on their doorstep. It's a sad state of affairs if you had to bring in retired players Max.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 15, 2011, 07:06:27 PM

We're Dunloy not training up to 3 or 4 weeks ago? Hell, I heard they went to Tipperary to train, even with a state of the art facility on their doorstep. It's a sad state of affairs if you had to bring in retired players Max.

And you wonder why other clubs think the worst of you?

Enjoy the wins while you can SIE cause you're only at the summit for a while, I'd be wile impressed if yous do well in the All Ireland series.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 15, 2011, 07:50:15 PM

And you wonder why other clubs think the worst of you?

Enjoy the wins while you can SIE cause you're only at the summit for a while, I'd be wile impressed if yous do well in the All Ireland series.
I don't wonder at all, I already know.  ;)

For god sake mr2, I was winding him up. Calm down. We'd have got it in the neck if it was the other way around. No harm done. We have what you'd call a "special" relationship with Dunloy.  :)

And ditto for your club, if you get out of Ulster that is.

Bog Ash Camam

Quote from: the colonel on October 15, 2011, 12:26:20 PM
Apparently so
He was kicked out for stealing hurling balls for the Johnnies!  Well, thats what big Joby has said anyway! :o
Remember lads, "the Sliotar hurts just as much when you're looking at it"

Milltown Row2

Michael is a good lad, bit of a header when managing a team but is mad for hurling and would be a great addition to the Antrim set up. Plenty of knowledge and can generate plenty of interest in this team.

Cue hardstation  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 15, 2011, 08:10:25 PM
Michael is a good lad, bit of a header when managing a team but is mad for hurling and would be a great addition to the Antrim set up. Plenty of knowledge and can generate plenty of interest in this team.

Cue hardstation  ;D
I've been doing some research on the GAA in West Belfast/Andytown/Falls. And relating to the evidence I've found, St. Galls must have the biggest parish in Belfast, if not Ulster. Certainly the most widespread.
Would this be true MR2?

4father

The parish only exists on paper.  St Galls would take very little kids from their surrounding 'parish'.  In fact very few clubs would.  There are only a very small number of the closest thing to parish clubs in Belfast.  O'Donnells would be one, St Pauls might be regarded as one and Gort na mona would be one.  The others would be known as family clubs where a large part of their membership and recruitment would be gotten from members and their families (normally spread from Lisburn to Glengormely).  Many of these clubs do attract people who aren't associated with their clubs from reputation.  For example, parents living in Lagmore (a long way from the Parish of St John's - where St Galls are based) might send their kids to St Galls because they are always in the local paper winning championships and for no other reason instead of sending their kids to their local club.

So the parish idea has nothing to do with numbers in Belfast and probably goes a little way to explain the multi-transfers that take place.

Milltown Row2

Loughgiel would be the biggest parish, we know this already! As for ourselves our real parish would have been the Clonard area of the Springfield rd, your research would have told you that ::

But as for our pool of players or membership it started at St Galls school, Hence the name, from there it really then became a family club, as 4father has said, I'd say in Belfast there are only two three clubs which can justify being called a parish club, Ardoyne, Gort Na Mona, St Enda 's and maybe Pearse's.

St Pauls wouldn't be a parish club, St Paul's parish is from the Springfield rd to Beechmount leisure centre.

maxpower

No shame in having to bring a couple of players back, you have to remember very few clubs have the base of players available as Loughgiel, fact is dunloy like most clubs are able to field 2 teams, but when the second team is decimated by playing in the seniors it makes it very difficult to get full numbers for the seconds.

Loughgiel have no Gaelic, no soccer and a large catchment area (together with committed volunteers), in other clubs when players realise they aren't going to be seniors, or don't have the desire to be, they inevitably move on to something they will get to play something else.

Credit the men who came in to help out

Dunloy can be bad losers, but Loughgiel are bad winners

What happens next????

ruairi

SIE I also know why every other club thinks the worst of yous. It's not great to be a bad loser(not saying loughiel are), but its terrible to be a bad winner. As expected I witnessed mouthing from your supporters directly after the county final. If yous were gracious in defeat and winning, then people might respect you a little more. Your team aren't as bad for it, mainly your supporters.

Last year, when yous won the title for first time, I didnt mind as much because your players have put in alot of effort and kept coming back year after year. i wouldnt have begrudged them a medal. However this year was a different story. absolutely devastated and to be taunted has not done your club any favours in my eyes.