Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

auld stock

NAG yo got it right. there is something seriously wrong. sorry to be the prophet of doom but brace yourselves for more of the same to come. i said it b4 & this latest appointment only cements my belief. when you bring in big name coaches from the south, their interest publicly is the betterment of antrim hurling. translated that means the betterment of the antrim COUNTY team. nothing else. these lads are obviously getting serious reimbursment for their input. is anyone seriously going to say that they will come up here to get at the root causes of our decline. ie club structures club leagues?? if you do you are kidding yourselves. jerry will be no different to dinny in that his sole objective will be to make the county team perform. to do that he will create a club like structure with the county panel. what will this mean for the clubs? losing your best hurlers for the best part of 7months. not allowed to train & play for their clubs which inturn forces the clubs to play reserve & sometimes 3rd tier player in the senior league which in turn lowers the quality of the league which in turn lowers the skill levels of the players which in turn leaves the pool of players a county manager gets to pick from very small. these lads come for a relatively short period of time & try to get the best of the county panel. who picks up the pieces of trying to coach good hurling at grass roots? yip the clubs, but there is only so far you can bring a group of committed club hurlers without the benefit of training & playing regulary with & against the best hurlers from all the clubs in antrim.

Milltown Row2

But why are these ex hurlers walking away? Having families, drained, not interested or feel they aren't asked? Would the paid coaches be an issue?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sleeping giant

Either have an u21 national hurling league or do away with it altogther.
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Trout

I would be very dubious about the standard of some of the salaried development staff, seems to be some of those posts are filled because of who you know. Fellas like Woody seem to be doing a very good job but others don't seem to have much of a notion.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

btdtgtt

Really can't agree more with auld stock!

To be honest mr2 I think u look at u21 as being kids developing - that's not the case anymore. Look at the age profile of senior teams it is younger nowadays. If someone walks away from the game at u21 I hardly think they were gonna make a high standard - certainly not a big enough difference to justify the time and resources u suggest. Especially given it's effects to the club scene!

I really fear for our club scene and think it is the root cause of county standard. Think of it - from loughiel in 81 to Rossa in 89 then the great Dall & Dunloy teams of the 90s and this is when we we're most competitive. The drop in our club scene is mirrored and county. If we address this our fortunes improve and we don't lose players as mr2 suggests.

I really hope we don't go down the line of sacrificing our club scene for the 24/30 involved with county - it just doesn't work at any level!

And as for the quality of our paid coaches - don't make me laugh. Cronyism has allowed us to lag way behind the other countys underage development structures. These coaches pick up a cheque that just covers their tea & biscuits budget!

Milltown Row2

I'll not deny that things start at under-age structures, it was that we were putting no effort into the under 21's for a serious long time. The tankings we have had were really obvious unfortunately. All down to preparation I'm afraid or lack of it.

Cushendall have been really unlucky over the years and Dunloy came up against a Birr team who were at their peak also.

The standard in Munster club hurling has dropped also and I think that if Loughgiel meet Munster opposition in Feb then they may have a chance to reach Croke.

If we concentrate on club hurling what will that bring us? We have played 18 games and for most parts I believe all the players have been available for the clubs, I stand corrected, so what has been the problem with development of club hurling lately? In my view the only clubs that have been hampered are the dual clubs, because when the county footballers are playing (league/challenge) then they can't hurl for their club!!

During the early part of the season we couldn't have players playing or maybe they played a game the day before and come back shattered or injured.

Lets not knock all the paid coaches, I know some of them and they are good lads
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sleeping giant

Must agree. it should be all about the clubs. Players must be allowed to play with there clubs. Week in week out. Get the league back to something worth winning.  If this happens then our county team will benifit from this. 

NAG1

Bit of a change of thinking on the NHL games coming?

Seamroga in exile

I think it's the Galway champions this time around MR2.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

glens73

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on October 13, 2011, 12:46:52 PM
I think it's the Galway champions this time around MR2.

It's the Munster champions as far as I can remember -:

2011 Loughiel lost to O'Loughlin Gaels
2010 Dunloy lost to Portumna
2009 Cushendall lost to De La Salle

I think

Bog Ash Camam

Ironic or what!!!!

An extract from the county website:

Name : Brian12 October 2011There is a lot of useful information conveyed and genuine interest generated through effective management of this website.
Would it be possible for someone 'knowledgeable' about Jerry Wallis to post a profile etc.
He is obviously a man of considerable pedigree, standing, ambition and it would be good to have thoughtful exposure to what no doubt is a credible CV in GAA and other fields.
Many thanks

He is from Midleton and was the trainer of the Cork team alongside Donal O'Grady when they achieved All Ireland success. He has been involved with training his own club and also this county 2 years ago with Dinny Cahill. Then he went with Donal O'Grady to Limerick last year. "That's all we know".

So thats all they know and yet the ousted Dinny and interviewed this guy Wallis!!!  Fecking hell!  Never ceased to be amazed by the county godfathers!  :-[ ::)
Remember lads, "the Sliotar hurts just as much when you're looking at it"

Last Man

Quote from: Bog Ash Camam on October 13, 2011, 01:02:24 PM
Ironic or what!!!!

An extract from the county website:

Name : Brian12 October 2011There is a lot of useful information conveyed and genuine interest generated through effective management of this website.
Would it be possible for someone 'knowledgeable' about Jerry Wallis to post a profile etc.
He is obviously a man of considerable pedigree, standing, ambition and it would be good to have thoughtful exposure to what no doubt is a credible CV in GAA and other fields.
Many thanks

He is from Midleton and was the trainer of the Cork team alongside Donal O'Grady when they achieved All Ireland success. He has been involved with training his own club and also this county 2 years ago with Dinny Cahill. Then he went with Donal O'Grady to Limerick last year. "That's all we know".

So thats all they know and yet the ousted Dinny and interviewed this guy Wallis!!!  Fecking hell!  Never ceased to be amazed by the county godfathers!  :-[ ::)

In all fairness the guestbook Mod may not have been on the interview panel but would nevertheless never miss a chance for a curt backhander on such a question as this.
Have met Wallace a few times and would have no doubt on his credentials and comes across as a decent skin. I wonder what it the vote hinged on though, any word?

NAG1

Any truth to the rumour that DC was asked to withdraw from the race prior to the coounty meeting?

Sleeping giant

Wel the man who has the job is the lad the players wanted. Dinnys out so move on.

auld stock

sorry milltown row but you are way off the mark by saying only dual clubs affected. best example to date was the senior feis final this year. dinny turned it into an absolute farce. he "rested" his first choice team the day before against armagh in the ulster final. then those second choice players were told that even though they would not feature the following week against limerick in the c'ship that under no circumstances were they to play in the feis final. he even went as far as threatened to quit if any of the county players played with their clubs in that feis final. that is a fact. what was the result? well c'dall got mullered by 21pts by dunloy as we had to field several minors & a couple of reserves who would not normally feature. how did this help the county? he rested his first choice team for the armagh game so that when the limerick game came along the majority of his starting 15 had played no competitive hurling for close on three weeks, limerick duly obliged & mullered them. the second choice team that played armagh? well if you ask me they dug dinny out of an awkward situation by winning a game he never really wanted to play & he ordered them not to play for their clubs. now thats only one instance about c'dall. i bet any money the same story was replicated in loughguile, dunloy, b'castle many times this year. heres one as well. it must be soul destroying for teams like creggan & glenarm to have to take the field without the best players they have produced in years (mc cann, hamill)for me county boss has too much clout.